A GREEN NANO-BIOTECHNOLOGICAL APPROACH FOR THE SYNTHESIS OF SILVER NANOPARTICLES USING THE SEED COAT OF TAMARINDUS INDICA, STUDY OF ITS ANTIBACTERIAL AND ANTICANCER ACTIVITY
Objective: The present study was designed to investigate the antibacterial and anti cancer effect of silver nanoparticle synthesized using the seed coat extract of Tamarindus indica.
Methods: In this study, aqueous extract of Tamarindus indica seed coat is used for synthesizing silver nanoparticles (AgNPs). Plant metabolites in the aqueous extract act as both reducing and capping agents resulting in the formation of stable and shape-controlled AgNPs. The AgNPs thus synthesized were characterized using UV-Vis absorption spectroscopy, FTIR and SEM analysis. The nanoparticles were tested for their antibacterial effect against human pathogenic bacteria and anticancer effect against HeLa cell line.
Results: Our results suggested that the aromatic compounds like flavanoids in the plant extract are responsible for the reduction of AgNPâ€™s. SEM analysis revealed fairly well dimensioned square shaped nanocrystals. The results were positive proving that the synthesized AgNPs possess excellent antibacterial and anticancer properties.
Conclusion: The synthesized AgNPs showed maximum anti-bacterial and anti-cancer effect.
2. Rao YN, Banerjee D, Datta A, Das SK, Guin R, Saha A. Gamma irradiation route to synthesis of highly re-dispersible natural polymer capped silver nanoparticles. Radiat Phys Chem 2010;79:1240.
3. Devendra Jain, Hemant Kumar Daima, Sumita Kachhwaha, SL Kothari. Synthesis of plant-mediated silver nanoparticles using papaya fruit extract and evaluation of their anti microbial activities. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2009;4:723-37.
4. Makarov VV, Love AJ, Sinitsyna OV, Makarova SS, Yaminsky IV, Taliansky ME, et al. Green nanotechnologies: synthesis of metal nanoparticles using plants. Acta Nat 2014;6:20.
5. Justin Packia Jacob S, Finub S, Anand Narayanan. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Piper longum leaf extracts and its cytotoxic activity against Hep-2 cell line. Colloids Surf B 2012;91:212.
6. Hana Sarah Haseeb, Justin Packia Jacob S. Synthesis of silver nanoparticles using plumeria rubra extracts and to study its anti-bacterial properties. World J Pharm Res 2014;3:792.
7. Vinmathi V, Justin Packia Jacob S. Synthesis, Characterization, Antibacterial and cytotoxic studies of silver nanoparticles using aqueous extracts of Crataeva nurvala leaves-a green nano-biotechnological approach. World J Pharm Res 2014;4:953-62.
8. Mukesh Kumar P, Vinmathi V, Panchapakesan Gautam, Herald Wilson A, Justin Packia Jacob S. Green synthesis of silver nanorods using aqueous seed extract of Nigella sativa and study of its antidiabetic activity. Aust J Basic Appl Sci 2015;9:295-8.
9. Singh A, Jain D. Green synthesis of silver nanoparticles using Argemone mexicana leaf extract and evaluation of their antimicrobial activities. Digest J Nanomater Biostructures 2010;5:483.
10. Kamyar Shameli, Mansor Bin Ahmad. Green biosynthesis of silver Nanoparticles Using Callicarpa maingayi; 2012. p. 24.
11. Kamyar Shameli, Mansor Bin Ahmad. Green biosynthesis of silver nanoparticles using Callicarpa maingayi stem bark extraction. Molecules 2012;17:8506.
12. Timothy SY, Attah MO, Shamaki KB. Antiulcer and antibacterial screening of the seed coat and leaf extracts of Tamarindus Indica Linn. Asian J Pharm Res 2015;5:1-6.
13. Samir A Anuj, Kalpesh B Ishnava. Plant mediated synthesis of silver nanoparticles by using dried stem powder of Tinospora cordifolia, its antibacterial activity and comparison with antibiotics. Int J Pharma Bio Sci 2013;4:849.