CULTURING AND SPAWNING STRATEGIES FOR CULTIVATION OF GANODERMA LUCIDUM (CURTIS) P. KARST
Objective: To access the vegetative growth of Ganoderma lucidum on ten solid media and four liquid media. Spawn development on different grains viz., wheat, barley, maize, soybean and pearl millet was also assessed for lab scale artificial cultivation of this mushroom.
Methods: Culture was raised on Potato Dextrose Medium and growth parameters were assessed on different solid and liquid media at 25Â±2 Â°C. Various grains were analyzed for best spawn development of the mushroom mycelium. Oak sawdust and wheat bran mixture was used as a substrate for cultivation of the mushroom.
Results: Malt Agar Extract medium and Glucose Asparagine Solution supported the best mycelial growth among the solid and liquid media screened for the purpose. Barley grains were the best for the spawn development. Maximum yield was observed on the Oak sawdust and the wheat bran (4:1 w/w) mixture used as a substrate.
Conclusion: The study revealed that this pharmacologically important mushroom can be grown under lab conditions, and more yield of the mushroom can be obtained using barley based spawn.
Keywords: Cultivation, Fruiting bodies, Ganoderma lucidum, Spawn, Substrates.
2. Wagner R, Mitchell DA, Sassaki GL, Amazonas MALA, Berovic M. Current techniques for the cultivation of Ganoderma lucidum for the production of biomass, ganoderic acid and polysaccharides. Food Technol Biotechnol 2003;41:371-82.
3. Fang QH, Zhong JJ. Effect of initial pH on the production of ganoderic acid and polysaccharide by submerged fermentation of Ganoderma lucidum. Process Biochem 2002;37:769-74.
4. Hsieh C, Yang F. Reusing soy residue for the solid-state fermentation of Ganoderma lucidum. Bioresour Technol 2004;91:105-9.
5. Chen KL, Chao DM. Ling Zhi (Ganoderma species). In: KT Hsu. Ed. Chinese Medicinal Mycology. United Press of Beijing Medical University and Chinese United Medical University, Beijing, China; 1997. p. 496-517.
6. Chen AW. Cultivation of the medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (Curt. Fr.) P Karst. (Reishi) in North America. Int J Med Mushrooms 1999;1:263-82.
7. Olei P. Mushroom Cultivations. Leyden, the Netherlands, Backhuys Publishers; 2003. p. 429.
8. Wasser SP. Reishi or Ling zhi (Ganoderma lucidum). Encyclopaedia of Dietary Supplements; 2005. p. 603-22.
9. Rai RD. Successful cultivation of medicinal mushroom Ganoderma lucidum (Reishi). Mushroom Res 2003;12:87-91.
10. Veena SS, Pandey M. Evaluation of the locally available substrate for the cultivation of indigenous Ganoderma lucidum isolate. J Mycol Plant Pathol 2006;36:434-8.
11. Nithya M, Ambikapathy V, Panneerselvam A. Cultivation of Ganoderma lucidum (Curt. Fr.) P. Karst. Int J Sci Res 2014;3:39-41.
12. Lincoff G. Guide to Mushrooms. A Fireside Book, Published by Simon and Schuster, New York; 1981. p. 512.
13. Tuite J. Plant pathological methods, Fungi and Bacteria. Burgess Publishing Company. Minn. USA; 1969.
14. Smith JE, Rowan NJ, Sullivan R. Medicinal mushroom: A rapid developing area of biotechnology for cancer therapy and other bioactivities. Biotechnol Lett 2002;24:1839-45.
15. Royse DJ. Specialty mushrooms. ASHS Press: Arlington VA; 1996. p. 464-75.
16. Woo-Sik J, Yun-Ju C, Doo-Hyun C, So-Deuk P, Young-Bok Y, Soon-Ja S. Culture conditions for the mycelial growth of Ganoderma applanatum. Mycobiology 2009;37:94-102.
17. Atri NS, Lata. Studies for culturing and cultivation of Lentinus cladopus Lev. Mycosphere 2013;4:675-82.
18. Atri NS, Upadhyay RC, Singh R, Saini MK. Effect of culture media and physical factors on vegetative growth of Lentinus squarrosulus (Mont.) Singer. Punjab Academy Sci 2007;4:1-2.
19. Siddhant, Yadav S, Singh CS. Spawn and spawning strategies for cultivation of Pleurotus eous (Berkeley) Saccardo. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2013;2:1494-500.
20. Bahl N. Handbook on Mushrooms. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co. New Delhi; 1984.
21. Mathew AV, Mathai G, Suharban M. Performance evaluation of five species of Pleurotus (Oyster mushroom) in Kerala. Mushroom Res 1996;5:9-12.
22. Hafeez ZMK, Shawani M, Shakeel, Hafiz-ul-llah. Effects of temperature on the linear colony and spawn growth of Pleurotus florida (Strain Yelova-1). Balochistan J Agric Sci 2000;1:48-51.
23. Sharma BB. Effect of different substrates grains/straws on spawn growth and yield of pink oyster mushroom Pleurotus djamor Boedijn. J Mycol Plant Pathol 2003;33:265-8.
24. Sagir A, Yildiz A. Growth of the mycelium of Pleurotus sp. on different grains and determination of their competition with some contaminant fungi. Acta Aliment 2004;33:249-57.
25. Asghar R, Tariq M, Rehman T. Propagation of Pleurotus sajor-caju (oyster mushroom) through tissue culture. Pak J Bot 2007;39:1383-6.