OPTIMIZATION OF ANTIMICROBIAL METABOLITES PRODUCTION BY STREPTOMYCES FRADIAE
Objectives: The aim of the present study to optimize the culture conditions for the production of secondary metabolites of a sponge-derived actinomycetes Streptomyces fradiae.
Methods: Effects of the incubation period, temperature and pH on biomass and antimicrobial metabolite production by Streptomyces fradiae was examined. Moreover, Effects of various carbon, nitrogen and minerals on biomass and antimicrobial metabolite production by Streptomyces fradiae were also assessed.
Results: Secondary metabolites production was started after 24 h of incubation of culture broth and reached its maximum levels after 96 h and thereafter gradually declined. The culture medium adjusted to pH 7.0 supported the production of antimicrobial metabolites as compared to other pH levels and optimum temperature for secondary metabolite production was found to be 35 Â°C. Basal medium amended with arabinose and soybean meal as carbon and nitrogen sources respectively was proved to be the best for the production of bioactive metabolites. Among different minerals tested, only K2HPO4 showed positive influence on secondary metabolite production by the strain.
Conclusion: In the present study, optimum levels of culture conditions were determined for the production of antibiotic by Streptomyces fradiae.
2. Olano C, Mendez C, Salas JA. Antitumor compounds from marine actinomycetes. Mar Drug 2009;7:210-48.
3. Mann J. Natural products as immunosuppressive agents. Nat Prod Res 2001;18:417-30.
4. Peczynska-Czoch W, Mordarski M. Actinomycetes enzymes. In: M Good-fellow S.T; 1988. p. 219-84.
5. Williams M, Mordarski. Eds. Actinomycetes in biotechnology, Academic Press: London, UK; 1988. p. 219-84.
6. Pathom-aree WJEM, Stach AC Ward, K Horikoshi, AT Bull, M Goodfellow. Diversity of actinomycetes isolated from challenger deep sediment (10,898 m) from the Mariana Trench. Extrimophiles 2006;10:181-9.
7. Sanchez S, Demain AL. Metabolic regulations of fermentation processes. Enzyme Microb Technol 2002;31:895-906.
8. Himabindu M, A Jetty. Optimization of nutritional requirements for gentamicin production by micromonospora echinospora. Indian J Exp Biol 2006;44:842-8.
9. Al-Zahrani SHM. Studies on the antimicrobial activity of streptomyces sp. Isolated from Jazan. J King Abdulaziz Univ 2007;19:127-38.