DEVELOPMENT AND IN-VITRO EVALUATION OF QUANTUM DOTS AS A CARRIER FOR DELIVERY OF 5-FLUOROURACIL
Objective: The present study was aimed to develop and evaluate quantum dots (QDs) as a carrier for delivery of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU).
Methods: This research work includes a synthesis, characterization and in vitro study of 5-fluorouracil (5-FU) QDs. Zinc oxide QDs were synthesized, and the drug was loaded on them. These QDs were further coated with Eudragit E PO to achieve drug release only at the acidic pH range as well as to overcome release of drug in the formulation vehicle itself.
Results: For 5-FU QDs optimized batch, yield (74Â±0.001 %), drug loading (85.58Â±0.08 %) and drug content (95Â±0.015%) were observed. FTIR spectroscopy revealed no any incompatibility between drug, polymer and metal SEM images shown drug loaded QDs with rough surface and Eudragit E PO coated QDs with smooth surface. The DSC curve of 5-FU exhibits peak at 286 Â°C corresponding to its melting point and Eudragit E PO coated QDs exhibit peak at 272 Â°C. This shifting of the endotherm suggested possible interaction of 5-FU and Eudragit E PO coated QDs. The diffractogram of pure drug showed multi-crystalline nature. However pure Eudragit E PO showed amorphous nature. Optimized QDs showed the crystalline nature of the drug. Mean particle size of optimized formulation batch was 201.92 nm and zeta potential was found+1.85 mV.
Conclusion: An Optimized batch of QDs has the potential to utilize in future for imaging of cancer cells and targeting delivery of 5-FU.
2. Qi L, Gao X. Emerging application of quantum dots for drug delivery and therapy. Expert Opin Drug Delivery 2008;5:263-7.
3. Ghasemi Y, Peymani P, Afifi S. Quantum dot: a magic nanoparticle for imaging, detection and targeting. Acta Biomed 2009;80:156-65.
4. Pericleous P, Gazouli M, Lyberopoulou A, Rizos A, Nikiteas N, Efstathopoulos E. Quantum dots hold promise for early cancer imaging and detection. Int J Cancer 2012;131:519â€“28.
5. Smith A, Dave S, Nie S, True L, Gao X. Multicolour quantum dots for molecular diagnostic of cancer. Expert Rev Mol Diagn 2006;6:231-44.
6. Modani S, Kharwade M, Nijhawan M. Quantum dots: a novelty of medical field with multiple applications. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2013;5:55-9.
7. Degim IT, Kadioglu D. Cheap, suitable, predictable and manageable nanoparticles for drug delivery: Quantum Dots. Curr Drug Delivery 2013;10:32-8.
8. Klaus Florey. Analytical Profiles of drug Substances. Academic Press 2005;2:221-44.
9. Tummala S, Satish Kumar M, Prakash A. Formulation and characterization of 5-fluorouracil enteric coated nanoparticles for sustained and localized release in treating colorectal cancer. Saudi Pharm J 2015;23:308â€“14.
10. Farquharson. Surface-enhanced raman spectral measurements of 5-fluorouracil in saliva. Molecules 2008;13:2608-27.
11. Indian Pharmacopoeia. The government of India, Ministry of Health and Family welfare. Ghaziabad 2010;2:562.