DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A HIGHLY SENSITIVE HIGH PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHRMOATOGRAPHY (HPLC) METHOD FOR THE ESTIMATION OF METHOTREXATE (MTX) PURE DRUG AND MARKETED FORMULATION IN SPIKED RAT PLASMA
Objective: Methotrexate (MTX) is used as an anti-tumor agent, and its clinical pharmacokinetics requires an accurate method for estimation of its plasma concentration. We describe a rapid, selective and sensitive HPLC method coupled with UV detection for determination of MTX in rat plasma.
Methods: Internal standard (IS; caffeine) was added to plasma aliquots prior to protein precipitation with acetonitrile. MTX and IS were eluted on a Phenomenex C18 column (250 mm Ã— 4.6 mm, 5 Î¼m) protected by a guard column (4 mm Ã— 3 mm Ã—5 Î¼m) (Torrance, CA, USA). The mobile phase comprised a mixture of aqueous 0.01 M phosphate buffer (pH 3.9)/acetonitrile (89/11%, v/v). To further improve the applicability of the method, a marketed formulation of high dose MTX (Folitrax 10 mg, IPCA) was spiked in rat plasma and the developed method was applied for the detection of MTX.
Results: Adequate specificity, precision, and accuracy of the proposed method were demonstrated over the concentration range of 10 to 1000 ng/ml.
Conclusion: This developed method was more sensitive and specific than any reported methods for the estimation of MTX and hence was successfully applied to measure plasma MTX concentrations in rat plasma which can be useful to elucidate the pharmacokinetic data of MTX.
Keywords: Methotrexate, Folitrax, Protein precipitation, Rat plasma, Caffeine
2. Nogueira D, Tavano L, Mitjans M, P'erez L, Infante M, Vinardell M. In vitro antitumor activity of methotrexate via pH-sensitive chitosan nanoparticles. Biomaterials 2013;34:2758-72.
3. Yoon S, Choi J, Kim J, Shin J, Zhang X, Kang J. Influence of reduced folate carrier and dihydrofolate reductase genes on methotrexate-induced cytotoxicity. Cancer Res Treat 2010;42:163-71.
4. Mohajeri S, Kasaian J, Shariaty V, Hassani M, Behravan J. Quantitative LC analysis of methotrexate and its application in the pharmacokinetic study of the drug in rat serum samples. Pharmacologyonline 2011;2:597-604.
5. Nagulu M, Kiran V, Reddy Y, Krishna D. Development and validation of rapid and sensitive HPLC method for the determination of methotrexate in human serum. Asian J Pharm Sci 2010;2:8-13.
6. Albertioni F, Pettersson B, Beck O, Rask C, Seideman P, Peterson C. Simultaneous quantitation of methotrexate and its two main metabolites in biological fluids by a novel solid-phase extraction procedure using high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1995;665:163-70.
7. Aboleneen H, Simpson J, Backes D. Determination of methotrexate in serum by high-performance liquid chromatography. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1996;681:317-22.
8. McCrudden E, Tett S. Improved high-performance liquid chromatography determination of methotrexate and its major metabolite in plasma using poly (styrene-divinylbenzene) column. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1999;721:87-92.
9. Hibiya M, Teradairaa R, Shimpo K, Matsui T, Sugimotob T, Nagatsu T. Interference of a methotrexate derivative with urinary oncopterin [N2-(3-aminopropyl) biopterin] measurement by high-performance liquid chromatography with fluorimetric detection. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1997;691:223-7.
10. Moghbel A, Zand-Moghaddamb A, Rezaee S, Pedram M. High-performance liquid chromatography determination of methotrexate in plasma. Int J Pharm Res 2010;2:149-52.
11. Lobo E, Balthasar J. Highly sensitive high-performance liquid chromatographic assay for methotrexate in the presence and absence of anti-methotrexate antibody fragments in rat and mouse plasma. J Chromatogr B: Biomed Sci Appl 1999;736:191-9.
12. Singh G, Pai R, Pandit V. Development and validation of an HPLC method for the determination of trans-resveratrol in spiked human plasma. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2012;3:130â€“5.
13. Begas E, Papandreou C, Tsakalof A, Daliani D, Papatsibas G, Asprodini E. Simple and reliable HPLC method for the monitoring of methotrexate in osteosarcoma patients. J Chromatogr Sci 2013;81:1-6.
14. ICH Harmonised Tripartite Guideline: Validation of Analytical Procedures: Methodology, Q2 (R1), International Conference on Harmonisation of Technical Requirements for Registrations of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use, ICH, Geneva, Switzerland; 2005.
15. Food and Drug Administration, Guidance for Industry: Bioanalytical Method Validation, US Department of Health and Human Services, FDA, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Rockville, Md, USA; 2001.
16. Jana k, Chatterjee K, Ali KM, Ghosh A, Bera TK, Gosh d. Antioxidant potential of a hydro-methanolic extract of seed of caesalpinia bonduc: an in vitro study. J Appl Pharm Technol Res 2011;2:260â€“5.
17. Rockville MD. United States Pharmacopeial Convention: United States Pharmacopeia; 1995. p. 1982â€“4.