DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF A BIOANALYTICAL RP-HPLC METHOD FOR AZILSARTAN MEDOXOMIL WITH LIQUID-LIQUID EXTRACTION
Objective: There are many analytical methods available for estimation of Azilsartan medoxomil in biological samples and for pharmaceutical preparations. However, no specific RP-HPLC method with UV detection based on liquid-liquid extraction technique is available for estimation of Azilsartan medoxomil in human plasma.
Methods: A simple, rapid and accurate RP-HPLC with UV detection method was developed and validated as per US-FDA guidelines for the estimation of Azilsartan medoxomil in spiked human plasma using liquid-liquid extraction technique.
Results: Azilsartan medoxomil was well resolved from human plasma interference and internal standard (Aceclofenac) using C 18 (250 Ã— 4.6 mm, 5 Î¼) column with methanol: 20 mm phosphate buffer (pH 3.0), (70: 30 %, v/v) as mobile phase, at a flow rate of 1 ml/min. The detection was performed at 249 nm. The calibration curve was found linear in the range of 500-16000 ng/ml. During calibration experiments, the heteroscedasticity was minimized by using weighted least square regression model with weighing factor 1/xÂ². In accuracy and precision studies, intra-day and inter-day, % relative error was found betweenÂ±15 and % RSD was less than 15 %. Stability experiments indicated that the drug remained stable after three freeze-thaw cycles.
Conclusion: A simple, rapid and accurate RP-HPLC method with UV detection was developed and validated for estimation of Azilsartan medoxomil based on liquid-liquid extraction technique. The developed method meets the requirements of US-FDA guidelines. Also the developed method does not require expensive chemicals and solvents and does not involve complex instrumentation, hence it is economic.
2. Ojima M, Igata H, Tanaka M, Sakamoto H, Kuroita T, Kohara Y, et al. In antagonistic properties of a new angiotensin type 1 receptor blocker, azilsartan in receptor binding and functional studies. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2011;336:801-8.
3. Vekariya PP, Joshi HS. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for azilsartan medoxomil potassium quantitation in human plasma by solid phase extraction procedure. ISRN Spectroscopy; 2013. doi: 10.1155/2013/572170. [Article in Press]
4. Cheng G, Junfeng W, Yinghua S, Dawei D, Zhong L, Meng Z, et al. UPLC-MS/MS for the determination of Azilsartan in beagle dog plasma and its application in a pharmacokinetics study. Asian J Pharm Sci 2014;10:247-53.
5. Gandhi SV, Mittal PS, Pahade AR, Rege SW. Development and validation of stability indicating HPTLC method for estimation of Azilsartan medoxomil. Int J Pharm Sci 2014;6,224-32.
6. Mantena BPV, Sumathi VR, Appa Rao KMCh, Ramakrishna K, Reddy RS. Method development and validation for the determination of potential impurities present in azilsartan medoxomil tablets by reverse phase-ultra performance liquid chromatography. Anal Chem Lett 2014;4:287-301.
7. Raja G, Nagaraju CH, Sreenivasulu B, Sreenivas N, Korupolu RB. New simple UV spectrophotometric method for determination of azilsartan medoxomil in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2013;4:1133-7.
8. Rachumallu R, Puttrevua SK, Bhateriaa M, Balab V, Sharmab VL, Bhattaa RS. Simultaneous determination of Azilsartan and Chlorthalidone in rat and human plasma by liquid chromatography-electrospray tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr B: Anal Technol Biomed Life Sci 2015;990:185-97.
9. Naazneen S, Sridevi A. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of azilsartan medoxomil and chlorthalidone in solid dosage forms. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:236-43.
10. Walid ME, Elkady FB, El-Zaher A, El-Bagary RI, Patonay G. Spectrophotometric and spectrofluorometric studies on azilsartan medoxomil and chlorthalidone to be utilized in their determination in pharmaceuticals. Anal Chem Insights 2014;9:33â€“40.
11. Nagaraja NV, Paliwal JK, Gupta RC. Choosing the calibration model in assay validation. J Pharm Biomed Anal 2012;20:433-8.
12. Bolton S, Bon C. Linear regression and correlation In: Pharmaceutical Statistics Practical and Clinical Applications. Vol. 203. Informa Healthcare USA, Inc; 2010. p. 147-81.
13. US Food and Drug Administration, Center for Drug Evaluation and Research, Center for Veterinary Medicine, Guidance for industry-Bioanalytical method validation; 2013. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/drugs/ guidance-compliance regulatory information/guidances/ucm368107.