STRUCTURAL AND OPTICAL INVESTIGATION OF PURE AND LANTHANUM DOPED ZnO NANOPARTICLES SYNTHESIZED BY CO-PRECIPITATION METHOD
Keywords:Synthesis, ZnO nanoparticles, Co-precipitation, Structural and Optical Study
Objective: Zinc oxide nanoparticles are assumed to be the foundation for several applications including environmental applications, optical devices, telecommunication, energy storage and so on. Its very crucial to obtain uniform and good quality nanoparticles in their properties point of view.
Materials and Methods: Pure and rare earth material (La) doped ZnO nanoparticles were prepared by co-precipitation route with heating temperature of 200oC and their properties were comparatively studied in this work. The structural properties were carried out by X-Ray diffraction technique and Optical analysis was done by using UV-Vis spectrophotometer.
Results: Structural investigations show that all the crystallites are of hexagonal wurtzite structure with preferred orientation along (101) plane. Further, optical analysis indicates that the average transmittance of the prepared samples is 85 % in visible region of spectrum. Moreover, Energy band gap studies reveal the increase in energy band gap from 3.23eV to 3.24 eV with incorporation of La+3 in ZnO lattice.
Conclusion: These analyses indicate that doping Zinc oxide with lanthanum varies and enhances the properties of prepared thin films.
2. Narinder K, Sanjeev K S & Deuk Y K, Stress relaxation and transitions in optical bandgap of yttrium doped zinc oxide (YZO) thin films Current Applied Phys, 16 (2016) 231.
3. Wu T, Ni Y, Ma X & Hong J,La-doped ZnO nanoparticles: Simple solution-combusting preparation and applications in the wastewater treatment, Material Research Bulletin, 48 (2013) 4754-4758.
4. Alfaro C M R, Hernandez-Como N, Mejia I, Ortega Zarzosa G, Martínez Castanon G A & Quevedo-Lopez M A,Electrical, optical and structural properties of ZnO nanorods thin films deposited over ZnO substrates Materials Letters,133 (2014) 293.
5. Ni, Y.; Cao, X.; Wu, G.; Hu, G.; Yang, Z.; Wei, X. Preparation, characterization and property study of zinc oxide nanoparticles via a simple solution-combusting method, Nanotechnology 2007, 18, 155603.
6. Lee, P.; Saion, E.; Al-Hada, N.; Soltani, N.A Simple Up-Scalable Thermal Treatment Method for Synthesis of ZnO Nanoparticles, Metals 2015, 5, 2383–2392.
7. S. Suwanboon and P. Amornpitoksuk, Preparation and characterization of nanocrystalline La-doped ZnO powders through a mechanical milling and their optical properties Ceramic International. 37, (2011)3515-3521
8. C. Ravichandran, G. Srinivasan, C. Lennon, S. Sivananthan, and J. Kumar, Influence of post-deposition annealing on the structural, optical and electrical properties of Li and Mg co-doped ZnO thin films deposited by sol–gel technique, Superlattices Microstructures. 49, (2011) 527-536
9. H. Gong, J.Q. Hu, J.H. Wang, C.H. Ong, F.R. Zhu, Nano-crystalline Cu-doped ZnO thin film gas sensor for CO, Sensors and Actuators B 115 (2006) 247–251.
10. S. Anandan, A. Vinu, K. L. P. Sheeja Lovely, N. Gokulakrishnan, P. Srinivasu, T. Mori, V. Murugesan, V. Sivamurugan, and K. Ariga, Photocatalytic activity of La-doped ZnO for the degradation of monocrotophos in aqueous suspension, J. Mol. Catal. A: Chem. 266, (2007) 149-157
11. T. Dhannia, S. Jayalekshmi, M. C. S. Kumar, T. P. Rao, and A. C. Bose,Effect of iron doping and annealing on structural and optical properties of cerium oxide nanocrystals J. Phys. Chem. Solids 71, (2010) 1020-1025.
12. C.-L. Tsai, Y.-J. Lin, C.J. Liu, L. Horng, Y.-T. Shih, M.S. Wang, C.-S. Huang, C.S. Jhang, Y.-H. Chen and H.-C. Chang,Structural, electrical, optical and magnetic properties of Co0.2AlxZn 0.8?xO films Appl. Surf.Sci. (2009)255, 8643.
13. W. Zheng, Q. Miao, Y. Tang, W. Wei, J. Xu, X. Liu, Q. Qian, L. Xiao, B. Huang, and Q. Chen, La (III)-doped ZnO/C nanofibers with core–shell structure by electrospinning–calcination technology Mater. Lett. 98, (2013) 94-97.
14. F. Yakuphanoglu, S. Ilican, M. Caglar, Y. Caglar, Microstructure and electro-optical properties of sol–gel derived Cd-doped ZnO films, Superlattices Microstruct. 47, (2010) 732- 743.
15. S. Suwanboon, P. Amornpitoksuk, and A. Sukolrat,Dependence of optical properties on doping metal, crystallite size and defect concentration of M-doped ZnO nanopowders (M = Al, Mg, Ti), Ceram. Int.37, (2011) 1359-1365.
16. Ahmed A. Al-Ghamdi, A. A. Al-Ghamdi, O. A. Al-Hartomy, A. M. Nawar, E. El-Gazzar, F. El-Tantawy, and F. Novel photoconductive Ag/nanostructure ruthenium oxide/p-type silicon Schottky barrier diode by sol–gel method,Sol–Gel Sci. Technol. 67, (2013) 368–375.
17. R. K. Gupta, W. A. Farooq, A. A. Al-Ghamdi, F. El-Tantawy, W. A.Farooq, and F. Yakuphanoglu, Novel photosensor based on carbon nitride thin filmsMater. Lett. 134, (2014) 149-151.
18. Cantarella, M.; Di Mauro, A.; Gulino, A.; Spitaleri, L.; Nicotra, G.; Privitera, V.; Impellizzeri, G. Selective photodegradation of paracetamol by molecularly imprinted ZnO nanonuts, Appl. Catal. B Environ. 2018, 238, 509–517.
19. Zafar M.N., Dar Q., Nawaz F, Zafar M.N., Iqbal M., Nazar, M.F., Effective adsorptive removal of azo dyes over spherical ZnO nanoparticles synthesized by precipitation method, J. Mater. Res. Technol.(2018), 713-725.
20. Hasnidawani, J.N.; Azlina, H.N.; Norita, H.; Bonnia, N.N.; Ratim, S.; Ali, E.S.Synthesis of ZnO Nanostructures Using Sol-Gel Method, Proced. Chem. 2016, 19, 211–216.
21. Lin, C.-S.; Hwang, C.-C.; Lee, W.-H.; Tong, W.Y. Preparation of zinc oxide (ZnO) powders with different types of morphology by a combustion synthesis method, Mater. Sci. Eng. B 2007, 140, 31–37.
22. Nava Nunez, M.Y.; Martínez-de la Cruz, A.Nitric oxide removal by action of ZnO photocatalyst hydrothermally synthesized in presence of EDTA,Materials Science in Semiconductor Processing ,2018, 81, 94–101.
23. L. Vimala Devi, T. Selvalakshmi , S. Sellaiyan , A. Uedonoc, K. Sivaji , S. Sankar Effect of La doping on the lattice defects and photoluminescence properties of CuO, Journal of Alloys and Compounds 709 (2017) 496-504