PROPHYLACTIC AND CURATIVE EFFECT OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF BASSIA MALABARICA BARK AGAINST CISPLATIN INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY
Objective: The present study was designed to investigate the prophylactic and curative effect of ethanolic extract of Bassia malabarica bark (EBBM)
against cisplatin (7 mg/Kg single dose i. p) induced nephrotoxicity in male albino rats of Wistar strain.
Materials and Methods: After the treatment schedule for 15 days, the extent of nephrotoxicity was quantified using serum samples and isolated
kidneys. Serum samples were used to assess levels of protein, creatinine, urea, uric acid and blood urea nitrogen (BUN). The isolated kidneys were
used to assess antioxidants such as lipid peroxidation (LPO), reduced glutathione (GSH) and catalase (CAT).
Results: No mortality was observed in acute toxicity studies conducted as per organization for economic co-operation and development guidelines
423 and was found to be safe with no gross behavioral changes up to 2000 mg/Kg body weight (bwt). On administration of cisplatin there was a rise
in weight of the kidney, creatinine, urea, uric acid, BUN, LPO and a decrease in bwt, urine volume, total protein, GSH and CAT indicating the role of
oxidants to induce nephrotoxicity.
Conclusion: Prophylactic and curative groups were found to ameliorate the cisplatin induced alterations in the kidney in a dose-dependent manner.
Keywords: Antioxidants, Bassia malabarica, Cisplatin, Nephrocurative, Nephroprotective
mechanisms. Cancer Ther 2003;1:47-61.
2. Lange RC, Spencer RP, Harder HC. The antitumor agent cis-Pt (NH 3)2
Cl 2: Distribution studies and dose calculations for 193m Pt and 195m
Pt. J Nucl Med 1973;14(4):191-5.
3. BÃ©nard P, Desplanches G, Macquet JP, Simon J. Whole-body
autoradiographic study of the distribution of 195mPt in healthy and
tumor-bearing mice treated with labeled cisplatin. Cancer Treat Rep
4. Ueda N, Kaushal GP, Shah SV. Apoptotic mechanisms in acute renal
failure. Am J Med 2000;108(5):403-15.
5. Huang Q, Dunn RT 2nd, Jayadev S, DiSorbo O, Pack FD, Farr SB,
et al. Assessment of cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by microarray
technology. Toxicol Sci 2001;63(2):196-207.
6. Singh NP. In: Flora of Eastern Karnataka. 1st ed., Vol. I. Delhi: Mittal
Publications; 1988. p. 141-2.
7. Yoganarasimhan SN. In: Medicinal Plants of India-Tamilnadu. Vol. II.
Bangalore: Cyber Media; 2000. p. 276.
8. Zaveri M, Desai N, Movaliya V. Effect of Ocimum basilicum on cisplatin
models of acute renal failure. Adv Res Pharm Biol 2011;1(2):2.
9. Quiles JL, Huertas JR, Battino M, Mataix J, RamÃrez-Tortosa MC
Antioxidant nutrients and adriamycin toxicity. Toxicology
10. Kalyani B, Joyti TM, Setty SR, Babu YH. Protective effect of Phyllanthus
Fraternus on cisplatin and gentamycin induced nephrotoxicty in rats.
Adv Res Pharm Biol 2012;2(III):254-8.
11. Nadkarni KM. Indian Materia Medica. 3rd ed., Vol. I. 950 & Vol II. 182.
Mumbai: Popular Prakashan Pvt. Ltd.; 2007.
12. Rakesh MR, Ashok K, Kumar SA, Amitabh T. Formulation of herbal
shampoos from Asparagus Racemosus, Acacia Conn, Sapindus
Mukorossi. Glob Res Online 2010;4(1):008.
13. Vardana R. Floristic Plants of the World. 1st ed., Vol. II. New Delhi:
Sarup & Sons; 2006. p. 519.
14. Kokate CK. Practical Pharmacognosy. 4th ed. New Delhi: Vallabh
Prakashan; 1999. p. 149-56.
15. OECD Guideline 423 Acute Oral Toxicity. Environmental Health and
Safety Monograph series on Testing and Assessment No. 24; 2000.
16. Sreedevi A, Bharathi K, Prasad KV. Effect of Vernonia cinerea
aerial parts against Cispltin-induced nephrotoxicity in rats.
17. Claiborne A. In: Greenwald RA, editor. Handbook of Methods forOxygen Radical Research. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press; 1985. p. 283-4.
18. Jollow DJ, Mitchell JR, Zampaglione N, Gillette JR. Bromobenzeneinduced
liver necrosis. Protective role of glutathione and evidence for
3,4-bromobenzene oxide as the hepatotoxic metabolite. Pharmacology
19. Niehaus WG Jr, Samuelsson B. Formation of malonaldehyde from
phospholipid arachidonate during microsomal lipid peroxidation. Eur
J Biochem 1968;6(1):126-30.
20. Anusuya N, Devi DP, Dhinek A, Mythily S. Nephroprotcetive effect
of ethanolic extract of garlic (Allium Sativum) on cisplatin induced
nephrotoxicity in male wistar rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2013;6:97â€‘100.
21. Mansour MA, Mostafa AM, Nagi MN, Khattab MM, Al-Shabanah OA.
Protective effect of aminoguanidine against nephrotoxicity induced by
cisplatin in normal rats. Comp Biochem Physiol C Toxicol Pharmacol
22. Abdel Maguid EN, Hania NC, Nooura SA. Protective effect of
silymarin on cisplatin induced nephrotoxicity in rats. Pak J Nutr
23. Azu OO, Francis IO, Abraham AO, Crescie CN, Okanlawon AO.
Protecive agent, Kigelia African fruit extract, against cisplatin induced
oxidant injury in Sprague-Dawley rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res
24. Sueishi K, Mishima K, Makino K, Itoh Y, Tsuruya K, Hirakata H, et al.
Protection by a radical scavenger edaravone against cisplatin-induced
nephrotoxicity in rats. Eur J Pharmacol 2002;451(2):203-8.
25. An Y, Xin H, Yan W, Zhou X. Amelioration of cisplatin-induced
nephrotoxicity by pravastatin in mice. Exp Toxicol Pathol
26. Ashraf YN. Effect of Misoprostol on ultrastructural changes of renal
tissues in cisplatin-treated adult rats. J Cytol Histol 2013;4:3.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.