DEVELOPMENT AND EVALUATION OF A NOVEL TIME AND PH-DEPENDENT COLON TARGETED DRUG DELIVERY OF ORNIDAZOLE
Objective: The anti-amoebic drug Ornidazole was developed in this study as a novel colon-specific drug delivery method for the treatment of colonic diseases such as diverticulitis, inflammatory bowel syndrome, and Crohn’s disease. Pectin forms a matrix with a pH-sensitive polymeric coating that prevents drug release in the upper gastrointestinal tract, thereby addressing solubility issues. Pectin is sometimes used as an adsorbent, bulk-forming agent.
Methods: Ornidazole-containing core tablets were directly compressed. Ornidazole compression coated tablets were formulated with varying polymer proportions in the coat. All the tablets were studied for weight uniformity, hardness, friability, drug content, and in vitro dissolution tests
Results: All formulations demonstrated good Fourier-transform infrared compliance and no interaction between drug, polymer, and other excipients. The study’s findings show that the formulation F6 coated with Eudragit RS 100 had a drug release of 99.230.8 for 24 h.
Conclusion: As a result, (F6) is regarded as the optimal formulation. The pH in the colon causes the release of Ornidazole from tablets.
2. Amish AD, Ashok GL, Divya J. Formulation and evaluation of colon targeted drug delivery system of levetiracetam using Pectin as polymer carrier. J Appl Pharm Sci 2013;3:78-87.
3. Prathap M, Gulshan MD, Rama RN. Colon targeted drug delivery system. Int J Res Pharm Nanosci 2014;3:429-37.
4. Sriram P, Suttee A, Marasakatla Z. Formulation and taste masking of metronidazole oral disintegrating tablets by a novel approach. Int J Pharm Q Assur 2020;1:399-403.
5. Rajasekhar RV, Niranjan BM. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of ornidazole film coated tablets for colon targeted drug delivery. Int J Res Pharm Nanosci 2013;2:768-75.
6. Ranjith S. Formulation and evaluation of colon targeted drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2012; 3:2265-2268.
7. Anil KP, Betty P. Colon targeted drug delivery systems: A review on primary and novel approaches. Oman Med J 2012;25:79-87.
8. Nagaramya CH, Pavani S, Shravan Y. Formulation and evaluation of colon drug delivery of metronidazole mini-tablets. World J Pharm Res 2020;9:1639-59.
9. Bhosale A, Hardikar S, Naresh P, Patel U, Sumbe Y. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of microbially triggered ibuprofen delivery for colon targeting. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2009;1:328-33.
10. Chickpetty SM, Baswaraj R. Studies on design and in vitro evaluation of compression coated delivery systems for colon targeting of diclofenac sodium. Int J Pharmtech Res 2010;2:1714-22.
11. Chourasia MK, Jain SK. Pharmaceutical approaches to colon targeted drug delivery systems. J Pharm Pharm Sci 2003;6: 33-66.
12. Farhan JA, Rajesh K, Roop KK. Recent advances in colonic drug delivery. Indian Pharm 2003;2003:19-26.
13. Gupta VK, Gnanarajan G, Kothiyal P. A review article on colonic targeted drug delivery system introduction. J Pharm Innov 2012;1:14-24.
14. Jain A, Gupta YS. Perspective of biodegradable natural polysaccharides for the site specific drug delivery to the colon. Int J Pharm Sci 2007;10:86-128.
15. Ankita P, Dhruvita P, Trupti S, Bharadia PD, Pandys VM, Modi DA. Novel approaches for colon targeted drug delivery system. J Pharm Cosmetol 2011;1:86-97.
16. Kumar R, Patil MP, Sachin. A review on polysaccharides based colon specific drug delivery. Int J Pharm Res Tech 2009;1:334-46.
17. Mukesh RP, Somvanshi FU, Pawar SA, Chaudhari SP, Gupta JP, Budhavant KA. Colon targeted drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2013;2:33-42.
18. Mundhe VS, Dodiya SS. Novel approach for colon specific drug delivery. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2011;3:158-73.
19. Prasanth VV, Jayaprakash R, Mathew ST. Colon specific drug delivery systems: A review on various pharmaceutical approaches. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:163-9.
20. Pavani S, Roa YM, Kumar YS. Use of Box-Behnken experimental design for optimization of process variables in iontophoretic delivery of repaglinide. J Young Pharm 2016;8:350-5.
21. Thoutreddy R, Gullapudi M, Bonepally CS. Formulation and evaluation of dexamethasonne loaded cubosomes. Res J Pharm Technol 2020;13:709-14.
22. Sriram P, Kamlekar D, Hazari S. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of chitosan microspheres of eplerenone. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:226-9.
23. Prathap M, Rao NR. Colon: Targeted drug delivery system a review. Int J Res Pharm Nano Sci 2014;3:429-37.
24. Kumar MP, Mohammed B. Formulation of colon specific matrix and coated tablet of metronidazole. Int Res J Pharm 2011;2:194-9.
25. Reddy VR, Babu MN. Formulation and In-vitro evaluation of ornidazole film coated tablets for colon targeted drug delivery. Int J Res Pharm Nano Sci 2013;2:768-75.
26. Pavani S, Rao YM, Kumar YS. Synergistic effect of chemical enhancer and iontophoresis for transdermal of nebivolol hydrochloride. Iran J Pharm Sci 2016;12:9-20.
27. James S. Encyclopedia of Pharmaceutical Technology. 3rd ed. New York: Crc Pr I Llc; 1997. p. 1228-41.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.