FORMULATION AND EVALUATION OF FENOVERINE FLOATING TABLETS
Objective: The purpose of this research was to develop a fenoverine gastroretentive drug delivery system which, following oral administration should have the ability to enhance and prolong the period of gastric residence time (GRD) with the desired in vitro release profile.
Methods: In the present study, fenoverine floating tablets were prepared using an effervescent method using sodium bicarbonate and citric acid as a gas-generating agent. The tablets were formulated using direct compression technology using xanthan gum and sodium alginate as polymers. Pre-compression powders were evaluated for angle of repose, bulk density, tapped density, Carr’s index, and Hausner’s ratio, and the prepared tablets were evaluated for weight variation, thickness, diameter, hardness, friability, drug content, floating lag time, total floating time, and in vitro dissolution studies. The formulations were optimized for the different concentrations of xanthan gum, sodium alginate, and their combinations.
Results: All the prepared formulations showed well in vitro buoyancy. The tablets remained buoyant for 6–12 h. The in vitro drug-release pattern of fenoverine floating tablets was adapted to different kinetic models with the highest regression to zero-order and Korsmeyer-Peppas, and the mechanism was found to be a Fickian mechanism.
Conclusion: Out of all the formulations prepared, in vitro dissolution studies of the F4 formulation were found to be maximum than other batches, which exhibited desired sustained release time followed by acceptable floating properties.
2. Jigar V, Jai M. Development and optimization of floating tablets containing rebamipide. Res J Pharm Dosage Forms Technol 2020;12:7-12.
3. Santosh Kumar R. An update on gastroretentive floating systems. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;5:476-525.
4. Ajit K, Trushali M. Application of novel natural polymers for controlling the release of fenoverine from controlled release matrix tablets. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9:1-9.
5. Sunil Kumar B, Madhusudan RY. Formulation and evaluation of rapidly disintegrating fenoverine tablets: Effect of superdisintegrants. Drug Dev Ind Pharm 2007;33:1225-32.
6. Jagdish R, Rahul S. In vitro characterization of floating drug delivery system of Ketoconazole. J Drug Deliv Ther 2019;9:22-9.
7. Sudke SG, Madhusudan RY. Formulation and release behaviour of sustain release fenoverine HPMC matrix tablets. Int J Univ Pharm Bio Sci 2013;2:2319-8141.
8. Dipesh P, Sunil Kumar S. Controlled-release effervescent floating tablet of verpamil hydrochloride: Development and optimization. J Pharm Sci Res 2016;8:732-40.
9. Chinna EM, Jaya S. Design and in vitro characterization of floating tablets of metronidazole. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:539-44.
10. Abhishek C, Kapil C. Floating drug delivery systems: A better approach. Int Curr Pharm J 2012;1:110-8.
11. Kharia AA, Singhai AK. Design and optimization of floating drug delivery system of Acyclovir. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:599-606.
12. Sanjay D, Snigdha D. Formulation and evaluation of floating matrix tablet of atenolol for gastro-retentive drug delivery. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:433-7.
13. Zilpha M, Pavani S, Ashish S. Formulation and taste masking of metronidazole oral disintegrating tablets by novel approach. Int J Pharm Qual 2020;11:399-403.
14. Pavani S, Sushma M. Formulation and evaluation of lamivudine floating tablets by sublimation method. Am J PharmTech Res 2020;10:1-9.
15. Ramdas T, Madhuraj S. Formulation and evaluation of gastro retentive floating tablets of lafutidine. J Drug Deliv Ther 2018;8:393-9.
16. Natasha TC. Formulation and Evaluation of Controlled release floating tablets of Cefixime using Hydrophilic polymers. Int Res J Pharm 2019;10:2230-8407.
17. Chokshi G. Formulation and evaluation of gastro-retentive floating tablets of ciprofloxacin hydrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:148-52.
18. Sriram P, Deepak K, Sujitha H. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of chitosan microspheres of eplerenone. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:226-9.
19. Pakhale NV, Gondkar SB. Formulation development and evaluation of fluoxetine effervescent floating tablets. J Drug Deliv Ther 2019;9:358-66.
20. Lavanya M, Chinna EM. Design, development and in vitro characterization of floating tablets of propranolol hydrochloride. Res J Pharm Dosage Forms Technol 2020;13:5088-94.
21. Sushma M, Pavani S. Formulation and evaluation of lamivudine floating tablets by sublimation method. Am J PharmTech Res 2020;10:141-9.
22. Nagaramya CH, Pavani S, Shravan Y. Formulation and evaluation of colon drug delivery of metronidazole mini-tablets. World J Pharm Res 2020;9:1639-59.
23. Saritha D, Ganesh Kumar Y. Formulation design, development of gastro retentive floating tablets of propranolol. Asian J Pharm 2018;12:747-51.
24. Taraka RC, Bhavyasri K. Formulation and evaluation of zidovudine floating tablets. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;7:1210-20.
25. Kulkarni GS, Prabhansh P. Formulation and evaluation of sustained release floating tablets of an antihypertensive diltiazem. Int J Pharm Sci Nanotechnol 2017;10:3844-52.
26. Bakhle SS, Gulkari VD. Development and evaluation of ofloxacin floating tablets using natural polymers: Sterculia foetida linn. gum. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:356-60.
27. Wadher KJ. Formulation, and evaluation of gastro-retentive floating tablets using carbopol with xanthan gum and guar gum. Int J ChemTech Res 2017;10:300-8.
28. Rabia A, Yasir M. Techniques and polymers used to design gastro-retentive drug delivery systems- a review. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;3:97-110.
29. Pavani S, Deepak K. Preparation and in vitro evaluation of chitosan microspheres of eplerenone. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:226-9.
30. Laila H, Nadia M. Preparation and evaluation of metronidazole sustained release floating tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:198-204.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.