A STUDY ON THE MAGNITUDE OF HUMAN RESOURCE IN SUN AND RANBAXY MERGER
Sun Pharmaceutical is a trailblazer in Indian pharmaceutical sector, and one of the foremost competitors in the generic drug market sets its eye onRanbaxy. Sun pharmacy which was established in 1983 listed from 1994 has its upper hand in product development. Ranbaxy was incorporated in1973, and Daiichi Sankyo, a Japanese firm, got a controlling share from 2008. This amalgamation between Sun Pharmacy and Ranbaxy would get profitable transaction for the former. The process of the coalition was a cloak and dagger affair until April 6, 2014. Before mergers and acquisitions, a company has to create an urgency call among the employees which will result in better understanding of the whole scenario. The aspects are about how financial motives and non-financial motives play a major role in mergers. This case deals with the human resource issues and complexities faced by the two players in the same business.
Keywords: Merger, Acquisition, Change management, Human resource, Employee engagement, Corporate strategy.
2. Lindquist K. HRâ€™s role in mergers and acquisitions. Strateg HR Rev 2007;6(3):3.
3. Napier NK. Mergers and acquisitions, human resource issues and outcomes: A review and suggested typology. J Manage Stud 1989;26(3):271-90.
4. Antila EM. The role of HR managers in international mergers and acquisitions: A multiple case study. Int J Hu Res Manage 2006;17:6, 999-1020.
5. Schweiger, DM, Ivancevich JM. Executives actions for managing human resources before and after acquisition. Acad Manage Exec 1987;1(2):127-37.
6. Kotter JP. HBRâ€™s 10 must Reads on Change Management. Boston, MA: Harvard Business Review Press: 2011.
7. Truss C, Gratton L, Hope-Hailey V, Stiles P, Zaleska J. Paying the piper: Choice and constraint in changing HR functional roles. Hum Res Manage J 2002;12(2):39-63.
8. Legge K. Human resource management: A critical analysisâ€™. In: Storey J, editor. New Perspectives in Human Resource Management. London: Routledge: 1989.
9. Available from:http://www.investopedia.com/articles/ investing/022615/ranbaxy-and-sun-pharma- mega-indian-merger.asp. [Last accessed on 2016 Feb 18].
10. Available from: http://www.sunpharma.com/investors/archives/ sunpharma-ranbaxy-merger. [Last accessed on 2016 Mar 08].
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.