LEVEL OF KNOWLEDGE REGARDING HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS/ACQUIRED IMMUNE DEFICIENCY SYNDROME AND PEOPLE LIVING WITH HUMAN IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS AMONG HEALTH-CARE STUDENTS OF SELECTED COLLEGES IN CHENNAI
Objective: Â The Â aim Â of Â the Â study Â was Â to Â assess Â the Â level Â of Â knowledge Â among Â health-care Â students Â (HCS) Â toward Â human Â immunodeficiency virus/acquired immune deficiency syndrome (HIV/AIDS) and people living with HIV (PLHIV) in dental and nursing colleges at Chennai.
Methods: A quantitative approach and descriptive research design were adopted for the present study. HIV knowledge questionnaire-45 was used to assess the level of knowledge regarding HIV and PLHIV. Nonprobability convenient sampling technique was used for the selection of samples.
Results: The collected data were analyzed using SPSS. Among 600 HCS, 274 (46%) had inadequate knowledge, 191 (32%) had moderately adequate knowledge, and about 135 (23%) students had adequate knowledge. The mean knowledge score was 10.94.
Conclusion: HCS are in need of intense teaching program with various teaching methods which help to enhance their knowledge level and to eliminate the fear and stigma about handling of PLHIV.
Keywords: The health-care students, Level of knowledge, Human immunodeficiency virus/Acquired immune deficiency syndrome, People living with human immunodeficiency virus.
2. Caroline O, Temitope OA. Undergraduate studentsâ€™ erception of HIV/AIDS. J Clin Res HIV Aids Pre 2016:2(3);2324-7339.
3. UNAIDS. Available from: https://www.unaids.org/en/resources/ fact-sheet. [Last accessed on 2005].
4. WHO/HIV/AIDS. 2016. Available from: https://www.who.int/
5. CDC. 2015. Available from: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/ nvsr64/nvsr64_12.pdf.
6. Grover N, Prakash A, Singh S, Singh N, Singh P, Nazeer J. Attitude and knowledge of dental students of national capital region regarding HIV and AIDS. J Oral Maxillofac Pathol 2014;18(1):9-13.
7. Hamid Albujeer AN, Shamshiri AR, Taher A. HIV/AIDS awareness among Iraqi medical and dental students. J Int Soc Prev Community Dent 2015;5(5):372-6.
8. Naveen KG, Rahul B, Rambha P, Sharma HK, Monika A, Luthra SC.
Knowledge and awareness of nursing students about HIV/AIDS. Health Popul Perspect Issues 2010;33(1):55-60.
9. Christina O, Konstantinos N. Knowledge and awareness of nursing students about HIV/AIDS. Health Sci J 2012;6(1):129-50.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.