EVALUATION OF XANTHINE OXIDASE INHIBITORY ACTIVITY BY FLAVONOIDS FROM PONGAMIA PINNATA LINN
Objective: Flavonoids from the crude seeds extract of Pongamia pinnata L., dried fruit powder of Morinda citrifolia L., bark of Mangifera indica L., and
rhizome of Zingiber officinale Rosc. were screened for xanthine oxidase (XO) inhibition at different concentration. The inhibitory potential of quercetin
and allopurinol were used for the determination of 50% inhibitory concentration (IC50) and Ki values.
Methods: Isolation of flavonoids from the plant extracts was processed by column chromatography and tested for XO inhibitory activity in the range
of 6-800 Î¼g/ml.
Results: The results demonstrated that optimized flavonoids extract of P. pinnata L. exhibited promising XO inhibition. P. pinnata L., M. indica L., and
Z. officinale Rosc. had IC50 in the concentration of 8.74 mM, 1.09 mM, 5.4 mM and Ki 0.35 mM, 1.73 mM, 2.7 mM, respectively.
Conclusion: The study showed that plant species under investigation exhibited XO inhibition by optimized flavonoid extract. P. pinnata L. indicated
promising XO inhibition compared to other plant extracts. Flavonoids can be used as a potent inhibitor of XO an alternative to allopurinol.
Keywords: Xanthine oxidase, Quercetin, Allopurinol, Pongamia pinnata, Oxidative stress.
1. Cowan MM. Plant products as antimicrobial agents. Clin Microbiol Rev 1999;12(4):564-82.
2. Nagao A, Seki M, Kobayashi H. Inhibition of xanthine oxidase by flavonoids. Biosci Biotechnol Biochem 1999;63(10):1787-90.
3. Arote SR, Yeole PG. Pongamia pinnata L: A comprehensive review. Int J PharmTech Res 2010;2:2283-90.
4. Palu A, Deng S, West B, Jensen J. Xanthine oxidase inhibiting effects of noni (Morinda citrifolia) fruit juice. Phytother Res 2009;23(12):1790-1.
5. Gupta RK, Patel AK. Do the health claims made for Morinda citrifolia (Noni) harmonize with current scientific knowledge and evaluation of its biological effects. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2013;14(8):4495-9.
6. Parvez GM. Pharmacological activities of mango (Mangifera Indica): A review. J Pharm Photochem 2016;5(3):1-7.
7. Kalita P. An overview on Mangifera indica: Importance and its various pharmacological actions. PharmaTutor 2014;2(12):72-6.
8. Gupta SK, Sharma A. Medicinal properties of Zingiber officinale Rosc - A review. IOSR JDMS 2014;9:124-9.
9. McMaster Fay RA. Pre-eclampsia: A disease of oxidative stress resulting from the catabolism of DNA (primarily fetal) to uric acid by xanthine oxidase in the maternal liver; A hypothesis. Biosci Hypotheses 2008;1:35-43.
10. Marathe NP, Rasane MH, Kumar H, Patwardhan AA, Shouche YS, Diwanay SS. In vitro antibacterial activity of Tabernaemontana alternifolia (Roxb) stem bark aqueous extracts against clinical isolates of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Ann Clin Microbiol Antimicrob 2013;12:26.
11. Hossain MA, AL-Raqmi KA, AL-Mijizy ZH, Weli AM, Al-Riyami Q. Study of total phenol, flavonoids contents and phytochemical screening of various leaves crude extracts of locally grown Thymus vulgaris. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2013;3(9):705-10.
12. Azevedo MM, Chaves FC, Almeida CA, Bizzo HR, Duarte RS, Campos-Takaki GM, et al. Antioxidant and antimicrobial activities of 7-hydroxy-calamenene-rich essential oils from Croton cajucara Benth. Molecules 2013;18(1):1128-37.
13. Bergmeyer HU, Gawehn K, Grassl M. Bergmeyer HU, editors. Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. 2nd ed. New York: Academic Press; 1974. p. 515-6.
14. Falcone Ferreyra ML, Rius SP, Casati P. Flavonoids: Biosynthesis, biological functions, and biotechnological applications. Front Plant Sci 2012;3:222.
15. Vadivel V, Biesalski HK. Contribution of phenolic compounds to the antioxidant potential and type II diabetes related enzyme inhibition properties of Pongamia pinnata L. Pierre seeds. Process Biochem 2011;46:1973-80.
16. Schimpl G, Pesendorfer P, Kuesz AM, Ratschek M, HÃ¶llwarth ME. The impact of hepatic xanthine oxidase and xanthine dehydrogenase activities on liver function in chronic cholestasis. Pediatr Surg Int 2000;16(4):297-301.
17. Niu Y, Lu W, Gao L, Lin H, Liu X, Li L. Reducing effect of mangiferin on serum uric acid levels in mice. Pharm Biol 2012;50(9):1177-82.
18. Akram M, Usmanghani K, Ahmed I, Azhar I, Hamid A. In vitro xanthine oxidase inhibitory and in vivo hypouricemic activity of herbal coded formulation (Gouticin). Pak J Pharm Sci 2014;27(3):541-50.
19. Juraschek SP, Miller ER 3rd, Gelber AC. Effect of oral vitamin C supplementation on serum uric acid: A meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Arthritis Care Res (Hoboken) 2011;63(9):1295-306.
20. Feigelson P. The inhibition of xanthine oxidase in vitro by trace amounts of l-ascorbic acid. J Biol Chem 1952;197(2):843-50.
21. Sahgal G, Ramanathan S, Sasidharan S, Mordi MN, Ismail S, Mansor SM. In vitro antioxidant and xanthine oxidase inhibitory activities of methanolic Swietenia mahagoni seed extracts. Molecules 2009;14(11):4476-85.
22. Hendriani AB, Sukandara EY, Anggadiredja K, Sukrasnoa S. In vitro evaluation of xanthine oxidase inhibitory activity of Sonchus arvensis leaves. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:501-3.
23. Yumita A, Suganda AG, Sukandar EY. Xanthine oxidase inhibitory activity of some Indonesian medicinal plants and active fraction of selected plants. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5:293-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.