STUDY OF THYROID PROFILE IN GERIATRIC TYPE-2 DIABETICS IN JHARKHAND
Objective: To study the Â association of the two endocrinal disorders (Diabetes mellitus and thyroid disease) in randomly selected geriatric patients.
Method: The study includes 80 patients in geriatric age groups with type 2 diabetes mellitus visiting the Medicine out patients department. Thyroid profile were assayed Â in type 2 diabetic patients.
Results: It was noted that thyroid dysfunction was prevalent in 41(51.25%)Â out of the 80 geriatric age group patients with 31(38.75%) being hypothyroidism, 7 (8.7%) having subclinical hypothyroidism and 3 (3.7%) having a hyperthyroid state.
Conclusion: The study shows that screening should be strongly recommended for all type 2 diabetics to rule out thyroid dysfunction in patients with increasing age.
Keywords: Thyroid profile, Geriatric patients, Diabetes mellitus.
2. Gyawali P, Takanche JS, Shrestha RK, Bhattarai P, Khanal K, Risal P, et al. Pattern of thyroid dysfunction in patients with metabolic syndrome and its relationship with components of metabolic syndrome. Diabetes Metab J 2015;39(1):66-73.
3. Sugumar S, Aparajita. Genome-wide analysis of long non-coding RNA (LNCRNA) of autoimmune thyroid diseases using bioinformatics approaches. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(6):142-50.
4. Azharuddin M, Atif M, Ahmed M, Bakhtiary S, Ibrahim M. Evaluation of anti-thyroid activity of ficus racemosa Linn bark in male rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(3):118-22.
5. Sawin CT, Chopra D, Azizi F, Mannix JE, Bacharach P. The aging thyroid. Increased prevalence of elevated serum thyrotropin levels in the elderly. JAMA 1979;242(3):247-50.
6. WHO. Definition of an Older or Elderly Person. WHO Health Statistics and Health Information System. Available from: http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/ageingdefnolder/en/index.html.
7. Shashi A, Devi U, Singla S. Association between hypothyroidism and metabolic syndrome in Type 2 diabetic patients: A cross sectional study: Int J Basic Appl Med Sci 2013;3(1):98-109.
8. Nobre EL, Jorge Z, Prastas S, Silva C, Castro JJ. Profile of the thyroid function in a population with Type 2 diabetes. Endocr Abstr 2002;3:298.
9. Radaideh AR, Nusier MK, Amari FL, Bateiha AE, El-Khateeb MS, Naser AS, et al. Thyroid dysfunction in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus in Jordan. Saudi Med J 2004;25(8):1046-50.
10. Bal BS, Kaur PP, Singh BM, Gurpal S, Singh SP. Prospective analysis of thyroid abnormalities in cases of Type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Assoc Physicians India 2003;51:1165-6.
11. Lotz H, SalabÃ¨ GB. Lipoprotein(a) increase associated with thyroid autoimmunity. Eur J Endocrinol 1997;136(1):87-91.
12. Aviram M, Luboshitzky R, Brook JG. Lipid and lipoprotein pattern in thyroid dysfunction and the effect of therapy. Clin Biochem 1982;15(1):62-6.
13. Ayala AR, Danese MD, Ladenson PW. When to treat mild hypothyroidism. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 2000;29(2):399-415.
14. Zondek H. Association of myxedema heart and arteriosclerotic heart disease. J Am Med Assoc 1959;170(6):1920-1.
15. Sawin CT, Geller A, Kaplan MM, Bacharach P, Wilson PW, Hershman JM. Low serum thyrotropin (thyroid-stimulating hormone) in older persons without hyperthyroidism. Arch Intern Med 1991;151(1):165-8.
16. Bahemuka M, Hodkinson HM. Screening for hypothyroidism in elderly inpatients. Br Med J 1975;2(5971):601-3.
17. Kutty KM, Bryant DG, Farid NR. Serum lipids in hypothyroidism â€“ A re-evaluation. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1978;46(1):55-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.