GLUCOSE HOMEOSTATIC AND PANCREAS PROTECTIVE POTENTIAL OF TECOMELLA UNDULATA ROOT EXTRACT IN STREPTOZOTOCIN INDUCED DIABETIC RATS .
Objective: The study was aimed to evaluate glucose homeostatic and pancreas protective potential of Tecomella undulata root extract in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats.
Methods: The ethanolic root extract was prepared by following standard soxhlation methods. The experimental design was divided in to control and treated groups for 28 days of comparative experimental schedule. The body and organ weights, serum biochemistry, histo-pathology, hematology and toxicity profiles were assayed by following standard methods and protocols.
Results: The treatment of ethanolic extract of root of T. undulata was significantly (p â‰¤ 0.001) reduced glucose levels at 7day, 14day, 21day and 28 days in comparison to standard drug of metformin. Correspondingly, lipid profile i.e. total cholesterol, HDL, VLDL, LDL and triglyceride were also altered significantly. Whereas, body and organs weight and hematological parameters were not shown significant changes. Subsequently, toxicity profile i.e. hepatic and renal parameters were remained under normal ranges. Corresponding, the treatment of ethanolic root extract caused normalcy of histoarchitecture of pancreas in comparison to standard drugs.
Conclusion: The results of study illustrated that Tecomella undulata root extract possessing particular kind of phytocompounds which caused glucose homeostatic and pancreas protective potential in diabetic rats.
2. Goldman-Levine J. An overview of glycemic goals and medications used to manage Type 2 diabetes. Nutr Today 2016;50(1):40-8.
3. White JR Jr. A brief history of the development of diabetes medications. Diabetes Spectr 2014;27(2):82-6.
4. Yin J, Zhang H, Ye J. Traditional chinese medicine in treatment of metabolic syndrome. Endocr Metab Immune Disord Drug Targets 2008;8(2):99-111.
5. Modak M, Dixit P, Londhe J, Ghaskadbi S, Devasagayam TP. Indian herbs and herbal drugs used for the treatment of diabetes. J Clin Biochem Nutr 2007;40(3):163-73.
6. Ahlawat J, Verma N, Sehrawat AR. Globalisation of herbal drugs: A bliss and concern. Int J Sci Res 2014;3(11):466-74.
7. Talaviya PA, Rao SK, Vyas BM, Indoria SP, Rakesh K, Suman RK, et al. Review on: Potential antidiabetic herbal medicines. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5(2):302-19.
8. Arockia JA, Mohan VR, Doss A. Antidiabetic activity of Bacolepis nervosa (Wight and Arn.) Decne. Ex moq. Extract on alloxan induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(11):320-6.
9. Abubakar US, Abdullahi S, Ayuba V, Kaigama S, Halidu US, Ayuba MK. Medicinal plants used for the management of diabetes mellitus in Zaria, Kaduna state, Nigeria. J Pharm Pharmacogn Res 2017;5(3):156-64.
10. Patel DK, Prasad SK, Kumar R, Hemalatha S. An overview on antidiabetic medicinal plants having insulin mimetic property. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2(4):320-30.
11. Oboh G, Agunloye OM, Adefegha SA, Akinyemi AJ, Ademiluyi AO. Caffeic and chlorogenic acids inhibit key enzymes linked to Type 2 diabetes (in vitro): A comparative study. J Basic Clin Physiol Pharmacol 2015;26(2):165-70.
12. Harlev E, Nevo E, Mirsky N, Ofir R. Antidiabetic attributes of desert and steppic plants: A review. Planta Med 2013;79(6):425-36.
13. Das T, Das B, Saha D, Mishra SB. Anti-hyperglycemic effect of Tecomella undulata extract by ameliorating pancreatic dysfunction in streptozotocin induced diabetic albino rats. J Appl Pharm Sci 2015;5(11):90-4.
14. Dhir R, Shekhawat GS. Research article critical review on Tecomella undulata: A medicinally potent endangered plant species of Indian thar desert. Int J Curr Res 2012;4(6):36-44.
15. Srivastava S, Choudhary GP. Phytochemistry and pharmacological activity of Tecomella undulata: An overview. Mintage J Pharm Med Sci 2014;3(3):27-30.
16. Lal K, Purohit A, Ram H. Insulin mimetic and pancreas-protective effect of Tecomella undulata leaves extract in diabetic rats. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;6(2):924-38.
17. Jain M, Kapadia R, Jadeja RN, Thounaojam MC, Devkar RV, Mishra SH. Traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacology of Tecomella undulata - A review. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;1691(12):60521-8.
18. Kumar S, Sharma S, Vasudeva N, Ranga V. In vivo anti-hyperglycemic and antioxidant potentials of ethanolic extract from Tecomella undulata. Diabetol Metab Syndr 2012;4(33):1-7.
19. Kumawat R, Sharma S, Kumar S. An overview for various aspects of multifaceted, health care Tecomella undulata seem. Plant. Acta Pol Pharm 2012;69(5):993-6.
20. Rohilla R, Garg C, Garg M. In vitro hypoglycemic evaluation of fractions of hydroalcoholic extract of heartwood of Tecomella undulata Linn. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10(2):266-9.
21. Sovia E, Ratwita W, Wijayanti D, Novianty DR. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of Annona muricata L. Leaf ethanol extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;9(3):170-4.
22. El-Sawi N, Gad MH, Al-Seeni MN, Younes S, El-Ghadban M, Ali SS. Evaluation of antidiabetic activity of Ipomoea aquatica fractions in streptozotocin induced diabetic in male rat model. Sohag J Sci 2017;2(1):9-17.
23. Arya A, Al-Obaidi MM, Shahid N, Bin Noordin MI, Looi CY, Wong WF, et al. Synergistic effect of quercetin and quinic acid by alleviating structural degeneration in the liver, kidney and pancreas tissues of STZ-induced diabetic rats: A mechanistic study. Food Chem Toxicol 2014;71:183-96.
24. Vyas A, Ram H, Purohit A, Jatwa R. Adverse effects of subchronic dose of aspirin on reproductive profile of male rats. J Pharm (Cairo) 2016;2016:6585430.
25. Bidkar JS, Ghanwat DD, Bhujbal MD, Dama GY. Anti-hyperlipidemic activity of Cucumis melo fruit peel extracts in high cholesterol diet induced hyperlipidemia in rats. J Complement Integr Med 2012;9:1-6.
26. Arika WM, Nyamai DW, Musila MN, Ngugi MP, Njagi EN. Hematological markers of in vivo toxicity. Hematol Thrombo Dis 2016;4(2):1-6.
27. Al-Qudah MM, Haddad MA, EL-Qudah JM. The effects of aqueous ginger extract on pancreas histology and on blood glucose in normal and alloxan monohydrate-induced diabetic rats. Biomed Res 2016;27(2):350-6.
28. Mohammad W, Hamed A, Abid KY, Al-Amin SA. Hypoglycemic and hypolipidemic effects of grapefruit juice in diabetic rats. Tikrit J Pure Sci 2008;13(1):129-31.
29. Ojiako OA, Chikezie PC, Ogbuji AC. Blood glucose level and lipid profile of alloxan-induced hyperglycemic rats treated with single and combinatorial herbal formulations. J Tradit Complement Med 2016;6:184-92.
30. Olaniyan J, Muhammad H. Acute and sub-acute toxicity studies ofaqueous and methanol extracts of Nelsonia campestris in rats. J Acute Dis 2015;5(1):62-70.
31. Parmar HS, Bhinchar MK, Bhatia M, Chordia N, Raval I, Chauhan DS, et al. Study on gluco-regulatory potential of glimepiride sulfonamide using in silico, in vitro and in vivo approaches. Curr Pharm Des 2014;20:5212-7.
32. Patnaik PK, Jain KK, Chandra P, Pathak J, Raman KV, Shah A. Diabetes in India: Measuring the dynamics of a public health catastrophe. J Soc Health Diabetes 2016;4(2):77-84.
33. Prabhakar PK, Doble M. Mechanism of action of natural products used in the treatment of diabetes mellitus. Chin J Integr Med 2011;17:563-74.
34. Rao BG, Raju NJ. Investigation of hepatoprotective activity of Spondias pinnata. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2010;1(3):193-8.
35. Zafar M, Naqvi SN. Effects of STZ-induced diabetes on the relative weights of kidney, liver and pancreas in albino rats: A comparative study. Int J Morphol 2010;28(1):135-42.
36. Wen L, Zhang Y, Sun-Waterhouse D, You L, Fu X. Advantages of the polysaccharides from Gracilaria lemaneiformis over metformin in antidiabetic effects on streptozotocin-induced diabetic mice. RSC Adv 2017;7:9141-51.
37. Trilochana Y, Babu DJ, Rao PR. The study of anti-diabetic activity of aqueous extract of root of Gynandropsis gynandra in diabetic rats. Indian J Res Pharm Biotech 2017;5(1):13-8.
38. Njangiru IK, Gitimu MR, Njagi EN. In vivo antidiabetic activity of aqueous extract of Psidium quajava in alloxanised diabetic mice. J Med Biomed Appl Sci 2017;5(1):1-6.
39. Jemaa HB, Jemia AB, Khlifi S, Ahmed HB, Slama FB, Benzarti A, et al. Antioxidant activity and Î±-amylase inhibitory potential of Rosa canina L. Afr J Tradit Complement Altern Med 2017;14(2):1-8.
40. Cheng JT, Huang CC, Liu IM, Tzeng TF, Chang CJ. Novel mechanism for plasma glucose-lowering action of metformin in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Diabetes 2006;55(3):819-25.
41. Fattahi A, Niyazi F, Shahbazi B, Farzaei MH, Bahrami G. Antidiabetic mechanisms of Rosa canina fruits: An in vitro evaluation. J Evid Based Complementary Altern Med 2017;22:127-33.
42. Lo HY, Li TC, Yang TY, Li CC, Chiang JH, Hsiang CY, et al. Hypoglycemic effects of Trichosanthes kirilowii and its protein constituent in diabetic mice: The involvement of insulin receptor pathway. BMC Complement Altern Med 2017;17(1):53.
43. Ahmed R, Ramayya PJ, Raju NK, Kumar RV, Rao SD. Microscopic studies on islets of langerhans of pancreas of adult albino rat. Indian J Vet Anat 2014;26(2):97-8.
44. Naik SR, Thakare VN, Patil SR. Protective effect of curcumin on experimentally induced inflammation, hepatotoxicity and cardiotoxicity in rats: Evidence of its antioxidant property. Exp Toxicol Pathol 2011;63(5):419-31.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.