GAS CHROMATOGRAPHY ô€‡§ MASS SPECTROMETRY ANALYSIS OF ESSENTIAL OIL COMPOSITION OF CLERODENDRUM SERRATUM L.: A TRADITIONAL PLANT OF INDIA
Objective: Clerodendrum serratum (L.) belonging to family Verbenaceae, commonly known as Bharangi, is a popular plant across various communities of India. Gas chromatography-mass spectrometry (GC-MS) is a unique technique to prospect various volatile principles and semivolatile compounds.
Materials and Methods: The phytoconstituents present in the root of n-hexane extract were evaluated by GC-MS using Clarus 500 mass spectrometer.
Results and Discussions: A total of 15 constituents were identified and characterized from the roots of C. serratum L. All the 15 compounds were tabulated with their retention time, percentage peak area, molecular formula, molecular weight, and Chemical Abstracts Service number. Out of all the compounds, 60% comprises the oxygenated compounds. Compound hexadecanoic acid, methyl ester, and benzene, 1,3-bis(1,1-dimethylethyl) showed highest percentage about 6.5 and 74.9, respectively.
Conclusion: This study showed the presence of 15 compounds ranging from alkane, alkene as longest chain along with ester, aromatic and nonaromatic hydrocarbons.
2. Patel JJ, Acharya SR, Acharya NS. Clerodendrum serratum (L.) Moon. - A review on traditional uses, phytochemistry and pharmacological activities. J Ethnopharmacol 2014;154(2):268-85.
3. Pallado PP, Tassinato G, Alpaos DD, Traldi PP. Gas chroma-tography/ mass spectrometry in aroma chemistry: A comparison of essential oils and flavours extracted by classical and supercritical techniques. Rapid Commun Mass Spectrom 1997;11:1335-41.
4. Iordache A, Culea M, Gherman C, Cozar O. Characterization of some plant extracts by GC-MS. Nucl Instrum Methods Phys Res B 2009;267:338-42.
5. Ghosh T, Maity KT, Sengupta P, Dash KD, Bose A. Antidiabetic and in vivo antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of Bacopa monnieri L. aerial parts: A possible mechanism of action. Iranian J Pharm Res 2008;7:61-8.
6. Padal SB, Murty PP, Rao DS, Venkaiah M. Ethnomedicinal plants from Paderu division of Visakhapatnam district, A.P, India. J Phytol 2010;2:70-91.
7. Korpenwar AN. Ethnomedicinal plants used by Bhilala tribals in Buldhana District (M. S.) DAV. Int J Sci 2012;1:60-5.
8. Sahu CR, Nayak RK, Dhal NK. The plant wealth of Boudh district of Odisha, India with reference to ethnobotany. Int J Curr Biotechnol 2013;1:4-10.
9. Jain SP, Singh J. Traditional medicinal practices among the tribal people of Raigarh (Chhatisgarh), India. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2010;1:109-15.
10. Padal SB, Raju JB, Chandrasekhar P. Traditional knowledge of Konda Dora tribes, Visakhapatnam district, Andhra Pradesh, India. IOSR J Pharm 2013;3:22-8.
11. Wagh VV, Jain AK. Ethnomedicinal uses of underground plant parts in Jhabua district of Madhya Pradesh, India. Adv Biol Res 2014;8:151-6.
12. Jain JB, Kumane SB, Bhattacharya S. Medicinal flora of Madhya Pradesh and Chattishgarh. IJKT 2016;5:237-42.
13. Sinha MK, Sinha D. Herbal medicinal plants of Koria district (C.G.) India. Int J Green Herb Chem 2013;2:1114-20.
14. Gupta AK, Tandon N, Sharma M. Review on Indian Medicinal Plants. Vol. 7. New Delhi: Indian Council of Medical Research; 2008. p. 127. 15. Vidya SM, Krishna V, Manjunatha BK, Mankani KL, Ahmed M, Singh SD. Evaluation of hepatoprotective activity of Clerodendrum serratum L. Indian J Exp Biol 2007;45(6):538-42.
16. Kumar P, Niteshwar K. Phytochemical and pharmacological profiles of clereodendrum serratum. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2013;4:276-8.
17. Kumar SS, Samydurai P, Ramakrishnan R, Nagarajan N. Gas chromatography and mass spectrometry analysis of bioactive constituents of adiantum Capillus-veneris L. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:60-3.
18. Saravanan P, Chandramohan G, Mariajancyrani J, Shanmugasundaram P. Gc-Ms analysis of phytochemical constituents in ethanolic bark extract of Ficus religiosa Linn. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:457-60.
19. Wang D, Wang C, Pi X, Guo L, Wang Y, Li M, et al. Urinary volatile organic compounds as potential biomarkers for renal cell carcinoma. Biomed Rep 2016;5(1):68-72.
20. Gibka J, StyczyÅ„ska AK, GliÅ„ski M. Antimicrobial activity of undecan-3- one, undecan-3-ol and undec-3-yl acetate. Exp Immunol 2009;34:154-7.
21. Lide DR. Handbook of Chemistry and Physics. 65th ed. Cleveland, Ohio: CRC Publishers; 1984.
22. Moinuddin S, Mohammad MR, Mohammed M. New alternative veichle hydrocarbon liquid fuels from municipal solid waste plastics. J Fundament Renew Energy Appl 2011;1:1-9.
23. Jianlong W. Enhancement of citric acid production by Aspergillus niger using n- dodecane as an oxygen-vector. Proc Biochem 2000;35:1079-83.
24. Li C, He L, Jin G, Ma S, Wu W, Gai L. Effect of different irradiation dose treatment on the lipid oxidation, instrumental color and volatiles of fresh pork and their changes during storage. Meat Sci 2017;128:68-76.
25. Muthulakshmi A, Margret RJ, Mohan VR. GC-MS analysis of bioactive components of Feronia elephantum correa (Rutaceae). J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:69-74.
26. Rapp BE, Carneiro L, LÃ¤nge K, Rapp M. An indirect microfluidic flow injection analysis (FIA) system allowing diffusion free pumping of liquids by using tetradecane as intermediary liquid. Lab Chip 2009;21:354-6.
27. Prakash A, Suneetha V. Punica granatum (Pomegranate) rind extract as a potent substitute for lascorbic acid with respect to the antioxidant activity. Res J Pharm Biol Chem 2014;5:597-603.
28. Hirapara DG, Gajera HP, Bhimani RD, Golakiya BA. The SRAP based molecular diversity related to antifungal and antioxidant bioactive constituents for biocintrol potentials of Trichoderma against sclerotium rolfsii Scc. Curr Genet 2016;62619-41.
29. Gao Y, Tu W, Chen Z, Tian Y, Liu R, Wang LM. Dielectric relaxation of long-chain glass-forming monohydroxy alcohols. J Chem Phys 2013;139:164504.
30. Abubakar MN, Majinda RR. GC-MS analysis and preliminary antimicrobial activity of Albizia adianthifolia (Schumach) and Pterocarpus angolensis (DC). Medicines 2016;3:1-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.