HAIR GROWTH ACTIVITY AND SAFETY TEST OF ETHOSOMAL GEL ETHYL ACETATE FRACTION OF NOTHOPANAX LEAVES (NOTHOPANAX SCUTELLARIUM MERR.)
Objective: The aims of this study were to know the hair growth activity from the ethosomal gel of ethyl acetate fraction compared to the nonethosomal gel of ethyl acetate fraction, as well as its ability to penetrate into the skin and its safety from ethosomal gel testing.
Methods: The hair growth activity was measured by three parameters: Hair length, hair thickness, and hair weight.
Results: The results obtained are shown that the ethosomal gel with concentration 1% has better hair growth activity rather than the ethosomal gel with concentration 0.5% and the nonethosomal gel but it has similarity to the positive control (minoxidil gel with concentration 2%). In vitro penetration test using Franz diffusion cells shown that the ethosomal gel with concentration 1% has cumulative penetration of quercetin higher than nonethosomal gel, which value was 3.3175Â±0.02 Î¼gcmâˆ’2 for the ethosomal gel with concentration 1%; and 2.7663Â±0.19 Î¼gcm-2 for the nonethosomal gel with flux values for the ethosomal gel with concentration 1% and the nonethosomal gel, respectively, are 0.4147Â±0.01 Î¼gcmâˆ’2hâˆ’1 and 0.3458Â±0.02 Î¼gcmâˆ’2hâˆ’1.
Conclusion: As for the safety test using henâ€™s egg test-chorioallantoic membrane (HET- CAM) safety test) have shown that both concentrations 0.5% and 1% of the ethosomal gel can generate mild irritation for topical application.
2. Dallob AL, Sadick NS, Unger W, Lipert S, Geissler LA, Nguyen HH, et al. The effect of finasteride, a 5 alpha-reductase inhibitor, on scalp skin testosterone and dihydrotestosterone concentrations in patients with male pattern baldness. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 1994;79:703-6.
3. Heyne K. Tumbuhan Berguna Indonesia Jilid III. Jakarta: Badan Litbang Kehutanan; 1987.
4. Dalimartha S. Atlas Tumbuhan Obat Indonesia Jilid I. Ungaran: Trubus Agriwidya, Hal 87; 1999.
5. Saâ€™diah S, Herlina N, Indriati D. Efektifitas sediaan emulsi ekstrak etanol 70% daun mangkokan (Nothopanax scutellarius (Burm. F) Merr sebagai perangsang pertumbuhan rambut. Fitofarmaka 2014;4(1):2015.
6. Upadhyay S, Upadhyay R, Vinode R, Dixit VK. Effect of ethanolic fraction of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis, L. Leaves in androgenic alopecia. Egypt Dermatol Online J 2013;9(2):5.
7. Perez-Vizcanio F, Ibarra M, Cogolludo AL, Duarte J, Zaragoza-Arnaez F, Moreno L, et al. Endothelium-independent vasodilator effects of the flavonoid quercetin and its methylated metabolites in rat conductance and resistance arteries. J Pharmacol Exp Ther 2002;302(1):66-72.
8. Wikramanayake TC, Villasante AC, Mauro LM, Perez CI, Schachner LA, Jimenez JJ. Prevention and treatment of alopecia areata with quercetin in the C3H/HeJ mouse model. Cell Stress Chaperones 2012;17(2):267-74.
9. Pratima NA, dan Tiwari S. Ethosomes: A novel tool for transdermal drug delivery. Int J Res Pharm Sci 2012;2(1):1-20.
10. Park SN, Lee MH, Kim SJ, Yu ER. Preparation of quercetin and rutin-loaded ceramide liposomes and drug-releasing effect in liposome-in-hydrogel complex system. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2013;435(3):361-6.
11. Rifkia V. Uji Keamanan Dan Uji Aktivitas Pertumbuhan Rambut Fraksi Etil Asetat Daun Mangkokan (Nothopanax scutellarium Merr.) Dalam Sediaan Tonik Rambut. Tesis. Depok: Fakultas Farmasi Program Studi Magister Herbal Universitas Indonesia; 2014.
12. Tanaka S, Saito M, Tabata M. Bioassay of Crude Drugs for Hair Growth Promoting Activity in Mice by a New Simple Method, Faculty of Phamaceutical Sciences. Kyoto, Japan: Kyoto Universitiy; 1980.
13. Cazedey EC, Carvalho FC, Fiorentino FA, Gremiao MP, Salgado HR. CorositexÂ®, BCOP and HET-CAM as alternative methods to animal experimentation. Braz J Pharm Sci 2009;45(4):???.
14. Thakker KD, Chern WH. Development and validation of in vitro release tests for semisolid dosage forms-case study. Dissolution Technol 2003;10(2):10-6.
15. Sebenta M, Devina V, Tahir K. Talegaonkar sushama, iqbal zeenat; Extraction of a water soluble bioactive hypoxide and its development into an ethosmoal system for deep dermal delivery. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:975-1491.
16. Magdy M, Amna AM, Menna MA. Formulation and characterization of ethosomes beraing vancomycin hydrochloride for transdermal delivery. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:975-1491.
17. Malvern. Zetasizer Nano User Manual. United Kingdom: Malvern; 2013.
18. Interagency Coordinating Committee on the Validations of Alternative Methods. ICCVAM-Recommended Test Method Protocol: Henâ€™s Egg Test - Chorioallantoic Membrane (HET-CAM) Test Method; 2010. Available from: http://www.iccvam.niehs.nih.gov/methods/ocutox/MildMod-TMER.htm.
19. Transethosmoes and ethosomes for enhanced transdermal delivery of ketoralac tromethamine: A comparative assesment. Int J Cur Pharma Res 2014;6:88-93.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.