SCREENING OF EXTRACTION METHOD FOR ALKALOID ENRICHMENT OF PEPEROMIA PELLUCIDA (L.) KUNTH
Objective: The aims of this study were to investigate the effect of extraction method modification of Peperomia pellucida (L.) Kunth herbs for alkaloid enrichment and thin layer chromatography (TLC) profile.
Methods: The dried herbs were extracted with six different methods (including; method A, B, C, D, and E). The obtained extract solution was evaporated and was analyzed. Alkaloid content identified using Dragendorff spray reagent. The gravimetric method was used to determine of total alkaloid, and TLC profile was analyzed using a densitometer at a wavelength of 254 nm and 366 nm.
Results: The results showed a difference from all modification of extraction method for alkaloid enrichment and their TLC profile. The use of eluent dichloromethane (DCM):methanol (95:5) was potential for isolation of the compound. From whole extraction methods, only one that tested positive for alkaloids was method A. Total alkaloids in DCM fraction amounted to 29.59 mg/g piperine.
Conclusion: Based on the above results, method A can be applied for isolation of alkaloid compound from this herb.
2. Chandel HS, Pathak AK, Tailang M. Standardization of some herbal antidiabetic drugs in polyherbal formulation. Pharmacognosy Res 2011;3(1):49-56.
3. Hamzah RU, Odetola AA, Erukainure OL, Oyagbemi AA. Peperomia pellucida in diets modulates hyperglyceamia, oxidative stress and dyslipidemia in diabetic rats. J Acute Dis 2012;1(2):135-40.
4. Tarigan IM, Bahri S, Saragih A. Antihyperuricemia activity of Suruhan (Peperomia pellucida L. Kunth) herb ethanol extract on Mus musculus male. J Pharm Pharmacol 2012;1(1):37-43.
5. Arrigoni-Blank FM, Dmitrieva EG, Franzotti EM, Antoniolli AR, Andrade MR, Marchioro M. Anti-inflammatory and analgesic activity of Peperomia pellucida (L.) HBK (Piperaceae). J Ethnopharmacol 2004;91(2-3):215-8.
6. Saputri FC, Munâ€™im A, Lukmanto D, Aisyah SN, Rinandy JS. Inhibiton of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) activity by some indonesia edible plants. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2015;6(3):1054-9.
7. Kurniawan A, Saputri F, Ahmad I, Munâ€™im A. Isolation of angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitory activity quercetin from Peperomia pellucida. Int J PharmTech Res 2016;9(7):115-21.
8. Majumder P. Evaluation of taxo-chemical standardization and quality control parameters of Peperomia Pellucida (Family: Piperaceae): A multi valuable medicinal herb. J Pharm Sci Innov 2012;1(6):7-12.
9. Majumder P, Abraham P, Satya V. Ethno-medicinal, phytochemical, and pharmacological review of an amazing medicinal herb Peperomia pellucida (L.) HBK. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2011;2(4):358-64.
10. Xu S, Li N, Ning MM, Zhou CH, Yang QR, Wang MW. Bioactive compounds from Peperomia pellucida. J Nat Prod 2006;69(2):247-50.
11. Bayma JD, Arruda MS, MÃ¼ller AH, Arruda AC, Canto WC. A dimeric ArC2 compound from Peperomia pellucida. Phytochemistry 2000;55(7):779-82.
12. Susilawati Y, Nugraha R, Muhtadi A, Soetardjo S, Supratman U. (S)-2-Methyl-2-(4-methylpent-3-enyl)-6-(propan-2-ylidene)- 3,4,6,7-tetrahydropyrano[4,3-g]chromen-9(2H)-one. Molbank 2015;2015(2):1-6.
13. Khan MR, Omoloso AD. Antibacterial activity of Hygrophila stricta and Peperomia pellucida. Fitoterapia 2002;73:251-4.
14. Mensah JK, Okoli RI, Turay AA. Phytochemical analysis of medicinal plants used for the management of hypertension by esan people of edo state, Nigeria. Ethnobot Leafl 2009;13(12):73-87.
15. Leena PK, Annam C. Preliminary phytechemical screening and in-vitro cytotoxicity activity of Peperomia pellucida linn. Int J Compr Pharm 2013;4(8):1-4.
16. Majumder P, Majumder S. Preparation and characterization of some herball ointment formulations with evaluation of antimicrobial property. Indian J Res Pharm Biotetechnol 2013;1:385-90.
17. Igwe OU, Mgbemena NM. A chemical investigation and antibacterial activity of the leaves of Peperomia pellucida L. HBK (Piperaceae). Asian J Chem Pharm Res 2014;2(1):78-86.
18. Gini TG, Jothi GJ. Preliminary phytochemical screening for active compounds in the whole plant extract of Peperomia pellucida (Linn.) HBK (Piperaceae) and Marsilea quadrifolia Linn. (Marsileaceae). Int J Pharmacogn Phytochem Res 2013;5(3):200-14.
19. Tiong SH, Looi CY, Hazni H, Arya A, Paydar M, Wong WF, et al. Antidiabetic and antioxidant properties of alkaloids from Catharanthus roseus (L.) G. Don. Molecules 2013;18(8):9770-84.
20. Lebrini M, Robert F, Roos C. Alkaloids extract from Palicourea guianensis plant as corrosion inhibitor for C38 steel in 1 M hydrochloric acid medium. Int J Electrochem Sci 2011;6:847-59.
21. Wagner H, Bladt S. In: Rickl V, editor. Plant Drug Analysis: A Thin Layer Chromatography Atlas. 2nd ed., Vol. 18. New York, US: Springer; 1995.
22. Rashid MH, Biswas S, Abdullah-Al-Mamun M, Huque A, Bhuiyan JR. Phytochemical screening and analgesic, anti-bacterial and cytotoxic activity evaluation of ethanol extract of Pithcellobium dulce (Roxb.) benth leaf. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8(2):451-7.
23. Hemmalakshmi S, Priyanga S, Devaki K. Phytochemical screening and HPTLC fingerprinting analysis of ethanolic extract of Erythrina variegata L. flowers. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8(3):210-7.
24. Sutar RC, Kasture SB, Kalaichelvan VK. Preliminary phytochemical screening and high performance thin layer chromatography fingerprint profile of leaf extracts of Holoptelea integrifolia (Roxb.) planch. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7(4):94-7.
25. Sharanappa R, Vidyasagar GM. Plant profile, phytochemistry and pharmacology of Argemone mexicana Linn. A review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6(7):45-53.
26. Sreevidya N, Mehrotra S. Spectrophotometric method for estimation of alkaloids precipitable with dragendorffâ€™s reagent in plant materials. J AOAC Int 2003;86(6):1124-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.