CASE REPORT ON DOCETAXEL-INDUCED INTERSTITIAL LUNG DISEASE
Â Docetaxel belongs to taxane family of antineoplastic agents that are indicated for the treatment of locally advanced or metastatic non-small-cell lung cancer. Docetaxel is associated with many adverse effects, and pulmonary reaction has an incidence of 41%. However, interstitial pulmonary disease is found to occur only in <1% of the population as per the post-marketing surveillance reports. Here, we report a case of docetaxel-induced interstitial lung disease (ILD). The patient information and details were collected using the hospital information system. The adverse drug reaction (ADR) of ILD occurred after 5 cycles of chemotherapy with docetaxel at a dose of 60 mg/m2 that is 80 mg IV. The causality of the event in our case was assessed using the Naranjo ADR probability scale which marked a score of 7 (probable). It is necessary that all physicians be aware of the reaction and to closely monitor clinicoradiological and functional status of the patients at regular intervals after administration of docetaxel.
2. Fauzee NJ, Dong Z, Wang YL. Taxanes: Promising anti-cancer drugs. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev 2011;12(4):837-51.
3. Wang GS, Yang KY, Perng RP. Life-threatening hypersensitivity pneumonitis induced by docetaxel (taxotere). Br J Cancer 2001;85(9):1247-50.
4. Bonde S, Nair S. Advances in liposomal drug delivery system: Fascinating types and potential applications. Int J Appl Pharm 2017;9(3):1-7.
5. De Souza Bandeira TF, Mozegui GB, De Mello Vianna CM, Araujo RL, Da Silva Rodrigues MP, Do Valle PM. Cost-effectiveness analysis of trastuzumab in the treatment of metastatic breast cancer. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(4):307-12.
6. Wang CJ, Chang HT, Chang CY. Docetaxel-related interstitial pneumonitis. Ther Clin Risk Manag 2015;11:1813-6.
7. Min BD, Kang HW, Kim WT, Kim YJ, Yun SJ, Lee SC, et al. Docetaxel-induced fatal interstitial pneumonitis in a patient with castration-resistant prostate cancer. Korean J Urol 2012;53(5):371-4.
8. Storaas E, Holmaas G, Gravdal K, BÃ¸rretzen A, Eikesdal HP. Lethal pneumonitis after docetaxel chemotherapy: Case report and review of the literature. Acta Oncol 2013;52(5):1034-8.
9. Read WL, Mortimer JE, Picus J. Severe interstitial pneumonitis associated with docetaxel administration. Cancer 2002;94(3):847-53.
10. Chen YM, Shih JF, Perng RP, Tsai CM, Whang-Peng J. A randomized trial of different docetaxel schedules in non-small cell lung cancer patients who failed previous platinum-based chemotherapy. Chest 2006;129(4):1031-8.
11. Tamiya A, Naito T, Miura S, Morii S, Tsuya A, Nakamura Y, et al. Interstitial lung disease associated with docetaxel in patients with advanced non-small cell lung cancer. Anticancer Res 2012;32(3):1103-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.