ENDOPHYTIC PESTALOTIOPSIS SPECIES FROM ANDAMAN ISLANDS: A POTENTIAL PANCREATIC LIPASE INHIBITOR
Â Objective: Obesity is the major cause of deaths worldwide. Inhibition of enzymes involved in breakdown of fats can be a good way for obesity management. Pancreatic lipase (PL) causes 50-70% degradation of ingested fats. The aim of this work is to explore the endophytic fungi from untapped biodiversity of Andaman Islands for PL inhibitors.
Methods: In the current report, culture broths of 39 endophytic fungi from different curative plants of coastal regions of India have been tested for their potential PL inhibitory activity. The bioactive compound was thus isolated, purified, and analyzed using gas chromatography.
Results: It was found that inhibitory concentration of a compound (Rf=0.64) isolated from crude hexane extract of endophytic fungal isolate from Citrus limon was 15.46 Î¼g/ml. Gas chromatogram of the extract showed the presence of caryophyllene which might be responsible for the particular activity. The bioactive fungus was microscopically identified as Pestalotiopsis species.
Conclusion: As caryophyllene is component of many oils and is non-toxic, so it can be potential source of safe and effective anti-obesity drug.
2. BÃ©rdy J. Bioactive microbial metabolites. J Antibiot (Tokyo) 2005;58(1):1-26.
3. Singh S, Jairal R, Kanwar SS. Therapeutic effect of herbal medicines on obesity: Herbal PL inhibitors. WJMS 2013;2(4):53-65.
4. Schulz B, Wanke U, Draeger S, Aust HJ. Endophytes from herbaceous plants and shrubs. Effectiveness of surface sterilization methods. Mycol Res 1993;97:144750.
5. Raviraja NS, Maria GL, Sridhar KR. Antimicrobial evaluation of endophytic fungi inhabiting medicinal plants of the Western Ghats of India. Eng Life Sci 2006;6:515-20.
6. Kim YS, Lee YM, Kim H, Kim J, Jang DS, Kim JH, et al. Anti-obesity effect of Morus bombycis root extract: Anti-lipase activity and lipolytic effect. J Ethnopharmacol 2010;130(3):621-4.
7. Liu AR, Xu T, Guo LD. Molecular and morphological description of Pestalotiopsis hainanensis sp. nov., a new endophyte from a tropical region of China. Fungal Divers 2007;24:23-36.
8. Maharachchikumbura SS, Hyde KD, Groenewald JZ, Xu J, Crous PW. Pestalotiopsis revisited. Stud Mycol 2014;79:121-86.
9. Queiroz DP, Ferreira AG, Lima AS, Lima ES, Lima MD. Isolation and identification of Î±-glucosidase, Î±-amylase and lipase inhibitors from Hortia longifolia. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;5(3):336-9.
10. Singh G, Suresh S, Bayineni VK, Kadeppagari RK. Lipase inhibitors from plants and their medical applications. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(1):1-5.
11. Kubo I, Muroi H, Kubo A. Naturally occurring antiacne agents. J Nat Prod 1994;57(1):9-17.
12. Legault J, Pichette A. Potentiating effect of beta-caryophyllene on anticancer activity of alpha-humulene, isocaryophyllene and paclitaxel. J Pharm Pharmacol 2007;59(12):1643-7.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.