STUDY AND DESIGN OF PORTABLE ANTIMICROBIAL WATER FILTER
Â Objective: This study was conducted to design a portable antimicrobial water filter which is both economic and easy to use.
Methods: A prototype following the designing of the water filter was constructed. Layers of sand, cloth, activated charcoal, and cotton containing compartments were built for carrying out water analysis.
Results: Most probable number index of Vellore Institute of Technology lake water was compared with that of filtered water. Complete water analysis was done, and the sand filter layer was observed to be responsible for a maximum of the antimicrobial action of the filter.
Conclusion: The study demonstrated that the proposed design of water filter is efficient in removal of turbidity, odor, and microbial content of lake water along with decreasing the acidity of water.
2. Rivera-Utrilla J, SÃ¡nchez-Polo M, GÃ³mez-Serrano V, Ãlvarezc PM, Alvim-Ferraz MC, Dias JM. Activated carbon modifications to enhance its water treatment applications. An overview. J Hazard Mater 2011;187(1-3):1-23.
3. Nataraj HM, Gupta NV, Ravi G. Validation of water purification system. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10(4):409-16.
4. Dalahmeh SS, Nsson HJ, Hylander LD, Hui N, Yu D, Pell M. Dynamics and functions of bacterial communities in bark, charcoal and sand filters treating greywater. Water Res 2014;54:21-32.
5. Logsdon GS, Kohne R, Abel S, Labonde S. Slow sand filtration for small water systems. J Environ Eng Sci 2002;1(5):339-48.
6. Gupta Y, Sharma D, Sharma Y. Bactericidal activity of different parts of Azadirachta indica on probiotic microbes. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9 Suppl 1:50-3.
7. Philip CD, Kumari RI, Lavanya B. Phytochemical analysis, antioxidant and anti-microbial activity of white & pink Psidium guajava Linnaeus. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2015;7(2):29-31.
8. Anjana AK, Francis P, Gomathy S, Vijayan SK, Mohammed M, Chandrasekar MJ. In vitro antiviral screening of Psidium gujava L. Against Hsv-1 and Hsv-2 by Cpe inhibition assay. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7(1):102-4.
9. Krishnan Y, Wong NK. Cytotoxicity and antimicrobial properties of neem (Azadirachta indica) leaf extracts. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;7(2):179-82.
10. Gnanakalai K, Gopal R. Phytochemical constituents and in vitro antibacterial activity of various extract of Azardirachta indica (neem). Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8(3):52-5.
11. Savithramma N, Yugandhar P, Suhrulatha D. Traditional medicinal plants used by local people of Kailasakona - A sacred grove of Chittoor district, Andhra Pradesh, India. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7(3):407-11.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.