ULTRAVIOLET SPECTROSCOPY AND ITS PHARMACEUTICAL APPLICATIONS- A BRIEF REVIEW
Â Rapid and easy analytical methods are needed due to increasing number of multicomponent formulations, biotherapeutic products and samples of complex matrix in que. Number of Ultraviolet (UV) spectrophotometric methods used for these purpose. Different types of UV spectrometric methods developed on the basis of principle of additivity, absorbance difference, processing absorption spectra. The aim of this review is to present information on simultaneous equation method, difference spectrophotometry, derivative spectrophotometry, absorbance ratio spectra, derivative ratio spectra, successive ratio - derivative spectra, Q-absorbance ratio method, absorptivity factor method, dual wavelength method, absorption factor method, multivariate chemometric methods, and isosbestic point method. A brief summary on theories, mathematical background and some applications of these methods are presented here.
2. Shetty PR, Patil DD. Applications of simultaneous equation method and derivative method for the determination of rabeprazole sodium and levosulpiride in pharmaceutical dosage form and dissolution samples. J Assoc Arab Univ Basic Appl Sci 2014;15:53-60.
3. Patel PB. Development and validation of a method for simultaneous estimation of ofloxacin and ornidazole in different dissolution media. Pharm Methods 2012;3:102-5.
4. Pant M, Dadare K, Khatri NC. Application of UV spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of norfloxacin and tinidazole in bulk and tablet dosage forms. Pharm Chem 2012;4:1041-6.
5. Sharma R, Pathodiya G, Mishra GP, Sainy J. Spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and diclofenac sodium in combined dosage form by application of hydrotropic solubilization. J Pharm Sci Res 2010;2:821-6.
6. Donovan J. Ultraviolet deiiference spectroscopy- new techniques and application. Conform Transitions 1972;18:498-525.
7. Anandakumar K, Buddi N. Development of difference spectroscopic method for the estimation of tapentadol hydrochloride in bulk and in formulation. Int J PharmTech 2012;4:1586-90.
8. Nikolaidis A, Moschakis T. Studying the denaturation of bovine serum albumin by a novel approach of difference-UV analysis. Food Chem 2016;215:1-24.
9. Prabu SL, Shanmugarathinam A. Development of difference spectrophotometric method for the estimation of leflunomide in tablet dosage form. Chem Ind Chem Eng Q 2012;18:407-10.
10. Rajput SJ, Raj HA. Assay of tegaserod maleate by difference spectroscopy. Indian J Pharm Sci 2007;69:114-5.
11. Affleck RP, Spitznagel TM. Application of difference spectroscopy to biopharmaceutical formulation development. Am Lab 2017;1:6-9.
12. Talsky G. Derivative Spectrophotometry Low and Higher Order. 1st ed. New York: VCH; 1994.
13. Haver TC. Analytical concepts potential clinical applications of derivative and wavelength-modulation spectrometry. Anal Concepts 1979;25:1548-53.
14. Karpinska J. Analytical application of derivative spectrophotometry. In: Macro to Nano Spectroscopy. Poland: Bialystok; 2012. p. 254-68.
15. Ojeda CB, Rojas FS. Recent applications in derivative ultraviolet/visible absorption spectrophotometry : 2009-2011. A review. Microchem J 2013;106:1-16.
16. Ojeda CB, Rojas FS. Recent developments in derivative ultraviolet/visible absorption spectrophotometry. Anal Chim Acta 2004;518:1-24.
17. Rojas FS, Ojeda CB. Recent development in derivative ultraviolet/visible absorption spectrophotometry : 2004-2008. A review. Anal Chim Acta 2009;635:22-44.
18. Tabbouche OS, Soukkariyyeh I. First-order derivative ultraviolet spectrophotometry of imipenem E cilastatin formulations. J Taibah Univ Med Sci 2014;9:178-81.
19. Rosa AM, Sversut A, Alca IC. Simultaneous determination of gatifloxacin and prednisolone acetate in ophthalmic formulation using first-order UV derivative spectroscopy. Aarab J Chem 2014; 6:1-8.
20. Swapnil AS, Sachin SP, Rajan VR. First order derivative spectroscopy method in combined dosage form. Chem Sin 2013;4:43-8.
21. Rajput S, Raj H. Simultaneous estimation of ezetimibe and lovastatin by derivative spectroscopy. Int J PharmTech Res 2009;1:894-9.
22. Attimarad M, Al-dhubiab BE, Alhaider IA, Nair AB. Imultaneous determination of moxifloxacin and cefixime by first and ratio first derivative ultraviolet spectrophotometry. Chem Cent J 2012;20:1-7.
23. Patel B, Jadav A, Solanki H, Parmar S, Parmar V, Captain A, et al. Development and validation of derivative spectroscopic method for the simultaneous estimation of rosuvastatin calcium and fenofibrate in tablet. Int J Pharm Res Rev 2013;2:1-6.
24. Patel P, Vaghela V, Rathi S, Rajgor N, Bhaskar V. Derivative spectrophotometry method for simultaneous estimation of rupatadine and montelukast in their combined dosage form. J Young Pharm 2009;1:354-8.
25. Abdel-hay MH, Gazy AA, Hassan EM, Belal TS. Derivative and derivative ratio spectrophotometric analysis of antihypertensive ternary mixture of amiloride hydrochloride, hydrochlorothiazide and timolol maleate. J Chin Chem Soc 2008;55:971-8.
26. Dave HN, Mashru RC, Thakkar AR. Simultaneous determination of salbutamol sulphate, bromhexine hydrochloride and etofylline in pharmaceutical formulations with the use of four rapid derivative spectrophotometric methods. Anal Chim Acta 2007;597:113-20.
27. El-zaher AA, Hassib ST, El-zaher AA, Fouad MA. Validated stability-indicating derivative and derivative ratio methods for the determination of some drugs used to alleviate respiratory tract disorders and their degredent. Drug Test Anal 2011;3:1-5.
28. Petrov V, Antonov L, Ehara H. Step by step filter based program for calculations of highly informative derivative curves. Comput Chem 2000;24:561-9.
29. Vega-montoto L, Brown CD, Ontoto LV. Derivative preprocessing and optimal corrections for baseline drift in multivariate calibration derivative preprocessing and optimal corrections for. Appl Spectrosc 2014;54:1055-68.
30. Hoang VD, Thi D, Ly H, Tho NH, Minh H, Nguyen T, et al. UV spectrophotometric simultaneous determination of paracetamol and ibuprofen in combined tablets by derivative and wavelet transforms. Sci World J 2014;2014:1-13.
31. Salinas F, Mansilla AE. A new spectrophotometric method for quantitative multicomponent analysis resolution of mixtures of salicylic and salicyluric acids. Talanta 1990;37:347-51.
32. Sabnis SS, Dhavale ND, Jadhav VY, Gandhi SV. Spectrophotometric simultaneous determination of rabeprazole sodium and itopride hydrochloride in capsule dosage form. Indian J Pharm Sci 2008;69:849-52.
33. Hajian R, Shams N, Kaedi I, Club YR. Application of ratio derivative spectrophotometry for simultaneous determination of naphazoline and antazoline in eye drops. E J Chem 2010;7:1530-8.
34. Fayez YM, Elghobashy MR, Goda ZM, Shehata MA. Comparative study on four spectrophotometric methods manipulating ratio spectra for the simultaneous determination of binary mixture of diflucortolone valerate and isoconazole nitrate. Bull Fac Pharm 2016;54:2-9.
35. Pravinbhai P, Patel PB. Development and validation of ratio-derivative spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of gabapentin, methylcobalamin and alpha lipoic acid in tablet formulation. J Pharm Res 2013;6:609-14.
36. Afkami A, Bahram M. Successive ratio-derivative spectra as a new spectrophotometric method for the analysis of ternary mixtures for the analysis of ternary mixtures. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2005;61:869-77.
37. Abdelwahab NS. Spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous determination of carvedilol and hydrochlorothiazide in combined dosage form. Arab J Chem 2016;9:S355-60.
38. Patil PA, Raj HA, Sonara GB. Q-absorbance ratio spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of atenolol and ivabradine hydrochloride in synthetic mixture. Pharm Biol 2016;3:224-30.
39. Patil A, Surana S. Q-absorbance and multicomponent UV spectrophotometric methods for simultaneous estimation of propranolol. Scholars research library. Pharm Chem 2016;3:404-8.
40. Singh G, Kumar D, Sharma D, Singh M. Q-absorbance ratio spectrophotometric method for the simultaneous estimation of prednisolone and 5-amino salicylic acid in tablet dosage form. J Appl Pharm Sci 2012;2:222-6.
41. Patel A, Firke SD, Bari SB, Ranoliya JR. Development and validation of UV-spectrophotometric method for simultaneous estimation of naproxen and paracetamol by Q-absorbance ratio method. Int J Pharm Res Allied Sci 2014;3:57-63.
42. Pandey G, Mishra B. A new analytical Q-absorbance ratio method development and validation for simultaneous estimation of lamivudine and isoniazid. ISRN Spectrosc 2013;2013:1-5.
43. Patel P, Patel D, Desai S, Meshram D. Development and validation of analytical methods for simultaneous estimation of difluprednate and gatifloxacin in ophthalmic emulsion by Uv-visible spectroscopy. Int J Pharm Sci 2014;3:1-10.
44. Samir A, Salem H, Abdelkawy M. New developed spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of salmeterol xinafoate and fluticasone propionate in bulk powder and seritide Ã²diskus inhalation. Bull Fac Pharm Cairo Univ 2012;50:121-6.
45. Saleh SS. A comparative study of validated spectrophotometric and TLC-spectrodensitometric methods for the determination of sodium cromoglicate and fluorometholone in ophthalmic solution. Saudi Pharm J 2013;21:411-21.
46. Sharma R, Mehata K. Simultaneous spectrophotometric estimation of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate and lamivudine in three component tablet formulation containing efavirenz. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;74:527-30.
47. Galande V, Baheti K, Indraksha S, Dehgan M. Estimation of amlodipine besylate, valsartan and hydrochlorothiazide in bulk mixture and tablet by UV spectrophotometry. Indian J Pharm Sci 2012;74:18-23.
48. Wankhede SB, Raka KC, Wadkar SB, Chitlange SS. Spectrophotometric and HPLC methods for simultaneous estimation of amlodipine besilate, losartan potassium and hydrochlorothiazide in tablets. Indian J Pharm Sci 2010;72:136-40.
49. Aneja G, Dave U, Vadodaria, K. Simultaneous estimation of piperine, quercetin, and curcumin in a mixture using UV-visible spectrophotometer and method validation. Int J Ther Appl 2012;8:14-7.
50. Sujana K, Abbulu K, Souri OB, Archana B, Sindu M, Rani GS, et al. Difference spectrophotometric methods for pioglitazone hydrochloride and metformin hydrochloride. J Pharm Sci Res 2011;3:1122-6.
51. Rote AR, Kumbhoje PA, Bhambar RS. UV-visible spectrophotometric simultaneous estimation of paracetamol and nabumetone by AUC method in combined tablet dosage form. Pharm Methods 2012;3:40-3.
52. Akhtar J, Prajapati J, Elhassan GO, Mujahid M. Development and validation of absorbance ratio method for simultaneous estimation of lornoxicam and eperisone in their synthetic mixture. Indo Glo J Pharm Sci 2015;5:225-32.
53. Hassaninejad-darzi SK, Samadi-maybodi A, Mohsen S. UV-vis spectrophotometry and multivariate calibration method for simultaneous determination of theophylline, montelukast and loratadine in tablet preparations and spiked human plasma. Iran J Pharm Res 2016;15:379-91.
54. Coello J, Maspoch S, Simultaneous kinetic spectrophotometric determination of levodopa and beserazide by bi-and three-way partial least squares calibration. Talanta 2000;53:627-37.
55. Tawakkol S, Farouk M, Delaziz M, Hemdan A, Shehata M. Comparative study between univariate spectrophotometry and multivariate calibration as analytical tools for simultaneous quantitation of moexipril and hydrochlorthiazide. Spectrochim Acta Part A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2014;133:300-6.
56. Erram SV, Tipnis HP. Simple spectrometric analysis of propranolol hydrochloride and hydrochlorothiazide from combined pharmaceutical dosages. Indian Drugs 1994;31:65-8.
57. Lotfy HM, Saleh SS, Hassan NY, Salem H. A comparative study of novel spectrophotometric methods based on isosbestic points; Application on a pharmaceutical ternary mixture. Spectrochim Acta A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2014;126:112-21.
58. Niazi A, Mohammad G, Orthogonal signal correction partial least squares method for simultaneous spectrophotometric determination of cypermethrin and tetramethrin. Spectrochim Acta Part A Mol Biomol Spectrosc 2008;69:1165-9.
59. Swathi P, Vidyadhara S, Sasidhar RL, Chakravarthi KK. Method development and validation for the estimation of entecavir in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms by RP-HPLC. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:107-11.
60. Pournima P, Vaishali B, Harinath M, Sachin P. Spectrophotometric method for simultaneous determination of olmesartan medoxomil and amlodipine besylate from tablet dosage form. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2011;3:7479.