FOLIC ACID, VITAMIN B12, AND DNA METHYLATION: AN UPDATE.
Â Epigenetics is one of the exciting and fastest expanding fields of biology; this is above genetics. Methylation is the process involved in the transfer of methyl group to amino acids, proteins, enzymes and DNA of all the cells, and tissues of the body. During cell-division low folate availability may result in decreased production of thymidine wherein uracil may be substituted in the place of thymidine in the DNA sequence. It was reported that folate and Vitamin B12 restricted diet resulted in aberrant methylation patterns. The current review was undertaken to explore the role of folic acid and Vitamin B12 in DNA methylation.
2. Beaudin AE, Stover PJ. Insights into the metabolic mechanisms underlying folate-responsive neural tube defects: A mini review. Birth Defects Res 2009;85:274-84.
3. Finkelstein JD. Metabolic regulatory properties of S-adenosylmethionine and S-adenosylhomocysteine. Clin Chem Lab Med 2007;45:1694-9.
4. Bailey RL, Mills JL, Yetley EA, Gahche JJ, Pfeiffer CM, Dwyer JT, et al. Unmetabolized serum folic acid and its relation to folic acid intake from diet and supplements in a nationally representative sample of adults aged > or =60 y in the United States. Am J Clin Nutr 2010;92:383-9.
5. Miranda TB, Jones PA. DNA methylation: The nuts and bolts of repression. J Cell Physiol 2007;213:384-90.
6. Winter-Vann AM, Kamen BA, Bergo MO, Young SG, Melnyk S, James SJ, et al. Targetting ras signaling through inhibition of carboxyl methylation: An unexpected property of methotrexate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2003;100:6529-34.
7. Hoffman DR, Marion DW, Cornatzer WE, Duerre JA. S-adenosylmethionine and S-adenosylhomocystein metabolism in isolated rat liver. Effects of L-methionine, L-homocystein, and adenosine. J Biol Chem 1980;255:10822-7.
8. James SJ, Melnyk S, Pogribna M, Pogribny IP, Caudill MA. Elevation in S-adenosylhomocysteine and DNA hypomethylation: Potential epigenetic mechanism for homocysteine-related pathology. J Nutr 2002;132:2361S-6.
9. Yi P, Melnyk S, Pogribna M, Pogribny IP, Hine RJ, James SJ. Increase in plasma homocysteine associated with parallel increase in plasma S-adenosylhomocyateine and kymphocyte DNA hypomethylation. J Biol Chem 2000;102:29318-23.
10. Bailey LB, editor. Folate in Health and Disease. Boca Raton, FL: Taylor and Francis; 2009.
11. Erickson JD. Folic acid and prevention of spina bifida and anencephaly. 10 years after the U.S. public health service recommendation. MMWR Recomm Rep 2002;51:1-3.
12. Lamprecht SA, Lipkin M. Chemoprevention of colon cancer by calcium, vitamin D and folate: Molecular mechanism. Nat Rev Cancer 2003;3:601-14.
13. Holmquist C, Larsson S, Wolk A, Faire U. Multivitamin supplements are inversely associated with risk of myocardial infarction in men and women-stockholm heart epidemiology program (SHEEP). J Nutr 2003;133:2650-4.
14. Kimura M, Umegaki K, Higuchi M, Thomas P, Fenech M. Methylene-tetrahydrofolate reductase C677T polymorphism, folic acid and riboflavin are important determinants of genome stability in cultured human lymphocytes. J Nutr 2004;134:48-56.
15. Herman JG, Baylin SB. Gene silencing in cancer in association with promoter hypermethylation. N Engl J Med 2003;349:2042-54.
16. Rooij SR, Painter RC, Phillips DI, Osmond C, Michels RP, Godsland IF, et al. Impaired insulin secretion after prenatal exposure to the dutch famine. Diabetes Care 2006;29:1897-901.
17. Roseboom T, Rooij S, Painter R. The dutch famine and its long-term consequences for adult health. Early Hum Dev 2006;82:485-91.
26. Berry RJ, Li Z, Erickson JD, Li S, Moore CA, Wang H, et al. Prevention of neural-tube defects with folic acid in China. China-U.S. collaborative project for neural tube defect prevention. N Engl J Med 1999;341:1485-90.
27. Painter RC, Rooij SR, Bossuyt PM, Simmers TA, Osmand C, Barker DJ, et al. Early onset of coronary artery disease after prenatal exposure to the dutch famine. Am J Clin Nutr 2006;84:322-7.
28. Hsiung DT, Marsit CJ, Houseman EA, Eddy K, Furniss CS, McClean MD, et al. Global DNA methylation level in whole blood as a biomarker in head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. Cancer Epidemoil Biomarkers Prev 2007;16:108-14.
29. Piyathilake CJ, Macaluso M, Alvarez RD, Chen M, Badiga S, Siddiqui NR, et al. A high degree of LINE-1 methylation in peripheral blood mononuclear cells, a one-carbon nutrient related epigenetic alteration, is associated with a lower risk of developing cervical intraepithelial neoplasia. Nutrition 2011;27:513-9.
30. Smith AD, Kim YI, Refsum H. Is folic acid good for everyone? Am J Clin Nutr 2008;87:517-33.
31. Ulrich CM, Potter JD. Folate and cancer-timing is everything. J Am Med Assoc 2007;297:2408-9.
Kim YI. Folic acid supplementation and cancer risk: Point. Cancer Epidemiol Biomarkers Prev 2008;17:2220-5.
36. Maccani MA, Marsit CJ. Epigenetics in the placenta. Am J Reprod Immunol 2009;62:78-89.
37. Kulkarni A, Dangat K, Kale A, Sable P, Chavan-Gautam P, Joshi S. effects of altered maternal folic acid, vitamin B12 and docosahexaenoic acid on placental global DNA methylation patterns in wistar rats. PLoS One 2011;6:e17706.
38. McKay JA, Waltham KJ, Williams EA, Mathers JC. Folate depletion during pregnancy and lactation reduces genomic DNA methylation in murine adult offspring. Genes Nutr 2011;6:189-96.
39. Sinclair KD, Allegrucci C, Singh R, Gardner DS, Sebastin S, Bispham J, et al. DNA methylation, insulin resistance, and blood pressure in offspring determined by maternal periconceptional B vitamin and methionine status. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 2007;104:19351-6.
40. Watreland RA, Jirtle RL. Early nutrition, epigenetic changes at transposons and imprinted genes, and enhanced susceptibility to adult chronic diseases. Nutrition 2004;20:63-8.
42. Dwarkanath P, Barzilay JR, Thomas T, Thomas A, Bhat S, Kurpad AV. High folate and low vitamin B-12 intakes during pregnancy are associated with small-for-gestational age infants in South Indian women: A prospective observational cohort study. Am J Clin Nutr 2013;98:1450-8.
43. Sarheed O, Ramesh K, Shah F. In vitro evaluation of dissolution profile of two commercially available folic acid preparations. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:473-5.
44. Antakli S, Sarkees N, Sarraf T. Determination of water-soluble vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6, B9, B12 and C ON C18 column with particle size 3 Î¼m in some manufactured food products by HPLC with UV-dad/FLD detection. Int J Pharm Pharm 20157:219-24.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.