FORMULATION AND IN VITRO EVALUATION OF GASTRORETENTIVE FLOATING BEADS OF AMOXICILLIN USING PECTIN FROM BANANA PEEL (MUSA BALBISIANA ABB)
Â Objective: The study aimed to investigate the characteristic pectin from banana peels (Musa balbisiana ABB) and formulation as a polymeric carrier in gastrorententive floating beads.
Methods: Pectin from banana peel was isolated using a citric acid solvent with varying concentration (2.5%, 5%, and 7.5%) at 80Â°C for 90 min. Characterization of pectin included determination of yield, equivalent weight methoxyl content (Me), galacturonic acid (GaA), and degree esterification. Floating beads of amoxicillin prepared by the ionotropic gelation method used calcium ion as cross-linking and sodium bicarbonate as gas-forming agent. Three formulations of amoxicillin were formulated using different percentage of pectin. The prepared beads were evaluated for particle size, drug entrapment efficiency, morphological study, floating lag time, floating time, swelling properties, in vitro drug release, and study of drug release kinetics.
Results: The result showed citric acid concentration 7.5% was optimum condition for isolated pectin from banana peels with the percent of yield was 9.51%; 6.29% Me; 62.82% GaA; and degree of esterification 48.46%. Floating time of beads was â‰¥12 h and drug entrapment efficiency F3 was highest (51%). In vitro drug release confirmed F3 was the best formulation as it releases 92% at 5 h with followed Higuchi model kinetics drug release. Floating beads amoxicillin showed differences of drug release compared with conventional dosage form of amoxicillin (p<0.05).
Conclusion: This study confirmed these beads can entrap amoxicillin and also can successfully deliver the drug targeted stomach for a prolong duration drug release.
2. CuÃ±a M, Alonso MJ, Torres D. Preparation and in vivo evaluation of mucoadhesive microparticles containing amoxicillin-resin complexes for drug delivery to the gastric mucosa. Eur J Pharm Biopharm 2001;51:199-205.
3. Hazell SL, Adrian L, Lynette B, William H. Campylobacter pyloridis and gastritis: Association with intercellular spaces and adaptation to an environment of mucus as important factors in colonization of the gastric epithelium. J Infect Dis 1986;153:658-64.
4. Nayak AK, Malakar J, Pal D. Development of cloxacillin loaded multiple-unit alginate based floating system by emulsion-gelation method. Int J Biol Macromol 2012;50:138-47.
5. Parkash V, Jogpal V, Maan S, Sharma V, Deepika, Yadav SK. Review on gastroretentive drug delivery system. Int J Pharm Life Sci 2011;2:773- 81.
6. Katta S, Reddy MS, Rao NG. Overview on floating drug delivery system. Am J Pharmtech Res 2013;3:146-69.
7. Sadeghi M. Pectin-based biodegradable hydrogels with potential biomedical applications as drug delivery systems. J Biomater Nanobiotechnol 2011;2:36-40.
8. Morris GA, Samil MK, Stephen EH, Gary GA. Polysaccharide drug delivery systems based on pectin and chitosan. Biotechnol Gen Eng Rev 2010;27:257-84.
9. Sriamornsak P. Application of pectin in oral drug delivery. Expert Opin Drug Deliv 2011;8:1009-23.
10. Mishra RK, Banthia AK, Majeed AB. Pectin based formulation for biomedical applications: A review. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2012;5:1-7.
11. Velmurugan S, Ali MA. Preparation and evaluation muchoadhesive microspheres gastroretentive drug delivery. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:208-14.
12. Ridley BL, Malcolm AO, Debra M. Pectins: Structure, biosynthesis, and oligogalacturonide -related signaling. Phytochemistry 2001;57:929-67.
13. Sato MF, Dayana CR, Maria HG, Carmen LO, Alessandro N, Gilvan W. Chemical and instrumental characterization of pectin from dried pomace of eleven apple cultivars. Acta Sci Agron MaringÃ¡ 2011;33:383-9.
14. Sundari N. Extrication of pectin from waste peels: A Review. Res J Pharm Biol Chem 2015;6:1842-8.
15. Ujianto A. Peluang Pemanfaatan Limbah Pisang Sebagai Pakan Ternak. Prosiding Temu Teknis Fungsional non Peneliti. Badan Penelitian dan Pengembangan Pertanian; 2003. p. 53-7.
16. Anjum S, Sundaram S, Rai GK. Nutraceutical application and value addition of banana (Musa Paradisica L.) Variety â€œBhuswal Keliâ€ Peel: A Review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:81-5.
17. Nazaruddin R, Noor Baiti AA, Foo SC, Tan YN, Ayob MK. Comparative chemical characteristics of hydrochloric acid and ammonium oxalate-extracted pectin from roselle (Hibiscus sabdariffa L.) Calyces. Int Food Res J 2013;20:281-4.
18. Kumar KV, Choudary PS, Ajaykumar B. Design and evaluation of stomach-specific drug delivery of domperidone using floating pectin beads. Int J Drug Dev Res 2013;5:219-28.
19. Jaiswal D, Bhattacharya A, Yadav IK, Singh HP, Chandra D, Jain DA. Formulation and evaluation of oil entrapped floating alginate beads of ranitidine hidrochloride. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2009;1:128-40.
20. Higuchi T. Mechanisms of sustained medications theoretical analysis of rate release of solid drugs dispersed in solid matrices. J Pharm Sci 1963;84:1464-77.
21. Shaikh HK, Kshirsagar RV, Patil SG. Mathematical models for drug release characterization: A review. World J Pharm Res 2015;4:324-38.
22. Dash S, Padala NM, Lilakanta N, Prasanta C. Kinetic modelling on drug release from controlled drug delivery system. Acta Poloniae Pharm Drug Res 2010;67:217-23.
23. Siepmann J, Peppas NA, Preface: Mathematical modeling of controlled drug delivery. Adv Drug Deliv Rev 2001;48:139-47.
24. Ramteke KH, Dighe PA, Kharat AR, Patil SV. Mathematical models of drug dissolution: A review. Sch Acad J Pharm 2014;3:388-96.