QUALITY OF LIFE OF PATIENTS UNDERGOING HEMODIALYSIS
Â Objective: The objective of the study was to assess the quality of life (QOL) of patients undergoing hemodialysis (HD). The QOL of HD patients was found to be considerably impaired when compared to that of healthy individuals of the general population. The careful assessment of QOL helps to guide and achieve medical management to optimize their health experience.
Methods: Cross-sectional research design was adopted with 130 samples who met the inclusion criteria to conduct the study in the dialysis unit, India. The instrument used for the study was to collect the data are demographic variable and kidney disease QOL - short form version 1.3 scale.
Results: The mean total score of QOL was 48.73Â±22.65, the highest score was for dialysis staff encouragement scale (84.04Â±14.89) followed by social support scale (80.38Â±20.38) and quality of social interaction (71.52Â±18.74). However, role limitation caused by physical health problems, role limitation caused by emotional health, and burden of kidney disease scales yielded the lowest scores (22.12Â±18.05, 26.92Â±24.15, and 38.03Â±12.81, respectively).
Conclusion: The present study findings concluded that patients on HD were not having adequate QOL in all domains except patient satisfaction due to changes in the physiological, chemical changes occur in the kidney.
2. Available from: http://www.who.int/nmh/publications/ncd_report_full_en.pdf.
3. Khan IA, Nasiruddin M, Haque SF, Khan RA. A randomized clinical trial to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Î±-keto amino acids in stage 3 and 4 of chronic kidney disease. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:21-4.
4. Schieppati A, Remuzzi G. Chronic renal diseases as a public health problem: Epidemiology, social, and economic implications. Kidney Int Suppl 2005;68:S7-10.
5. Raines N, GonzÃ¡lez M, Wyatt C, Kurzrok M, Pool C, Lemma T, et al. Risk factors for reduced glomerular filtration rate in a Nicaraguan community affected by Mesoamerican nephropathy. MEDICC Rev 2014;16:16-22.
6. Sathvik BS, Parthasarathi G, Narahari MG, Gurudev KC. An assessment of the quality of life in hemodialysis patients using the WHOQOL-BREF questionnaire. Indian J Nephrol 2008;18:141-9.
7. United States Renal Data System. United States Renal Data System 2012 Annual Data Report: Atlas of Chronic Kidney Disease and End-Stage Renal Disease in the United States. Bethesda, MD: National Institutes of Health, National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases; 2012. Available from: https://www.usrds.org/2012/pdf/v1_00intro_12.pdf.
8. Mollaoglu M. Perceived social support anxiety and self-care among patients receiving haemodialysis. Dial Transplant 2006;35:144-55.
9. Shimoyama S, Hirakawa O, Yahiro K, Mizumachi T, Schreiner A, Kakuma T, et al. Health-related quality of life and caregiver burden among peritoneal dialysis patients and their family caregivers in japan. Perit Dial Int 2003;23 Suppl 2:S200-5.
10. Devins GM, Mandin H, Hons RB, Burgess ED, Klassen J, Taub K, et al. Illness intrusiveness and quality of life in end-stage renal disease: Comparison and stability across treatment modalities. Health Psychol 1990;9:117-42.
11. Fukuhara S, Yamazaki S, Hayashino Y, Green J. Measuring health-related quality of life in patients with end-stage renal disease: Why and how. Nat Clin Pract Nephrol 2007;3:352-3.
12. Wan EY, Chen JY, Choi EP, Wong CK, Chan AK, Chan KH, et al. Patterns of health-related quality of life and associated factors in Chinese patients undergoing haemodialysis. Health Qual Life Outcomes 2015;13:108.
13. Baby B, Antony CL, Wilson S, Xavier T, Tamilselvan T. Evaluation of impact of pharmaceutical care on improving knowledge and medication adherence in CKD Patients. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:63-6.
14. Guyatt GH, Ferrans CE, Halyard MY, Revicki DA, Symonds TL, Varricchio CG, et al. Clinical significance consensus meeting group: Exploration of the value of health-related quality-of-life information from clinical research and into clinical practice. Mayo Clin Proc 2007;82:1229-39.
15. Gusbeth-Tatomir P, Boisteanu D, Seica A, Buga C, Covic A. Sleep disorders: A systematic review of an emerging major clinical issue in renal patients. Int Urol Nephrol 2007;39:1217-26.
16. Elder SJ, Pisoni RL, Akizawa T, Fissell R, Andreucci VE, Fukuhara S, et al. Sleep quality predicts quality of life and mortality risk in haemodialysis patients: Results from the dialysis outcomes and practice patterns study (DOPPS). Nephrol Dial Transplant 2008;23:998-1004.
17. Hanly PJ, Pierratos A. Improvement of sleep apnea in patients with chronic renal failure who undergo nocturnal hemodialysis. N Engl J Med 2001;344:102-7.
18. Tang SC, Lam B, Ku PP, Leung WS, Chu CM, Ho YW, et al. Alleviation of sleep apnea in patients with chronic renal failure by nocturnal cycler-assisted peritoneal dialysis compared with conventional continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis. J Am Soc Nephrol 2006;17:2607-16.
19. Hays RD, Kallich JD, Mapes DL, Coons SJ, Carter WB. Development of the kidney disease quality of life (KDQOL) instrument. Qual Life Res 1994;3:329-38.
20. The world health organization quality of life assessment (WHOQOL): Development and general psychometric properties. Soc Sci Med 1998;46:1569-85.
21. Thaweethamcharoen T, Srimongkol W, Noparatayaporn P, Jariyayothin P, Sukthinthai N, Aiyasanon N, et al. Validity and reliability of KDQOL-36 in Thai kidney disease patient. Value Health Reg Issues 2013;2:98-102.
22. Mollaoglu M. Quality of Life in Patients Undergoing Hemodialysis. Hiromichi Suzuki. UK: Technology & Medicine Open Access Book Publisher; 2013.
23. Joshi VD. Quality of life in end stage renal disease patients. World J Nephrol 2014;3:308-16.
24. Abraham S, Venu A, Ramachandran A, Chandran PM, Raman S. Assessment of quality of life in patients on hemodialysis and the impact of counseling. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2012;23:953-7.
25. Abdelghany MA, Elgohary EE, Nienaa YA. Assessment of health-related quality of life in patients receiving regular hemodialysis. J Nephrol Ther 2016;6:1-4.
26. Gerasimoula K, Lefkothea L, Maria L, Victoria A, Paraskevi T, Maria P, et al. Quality of life in hemodialysis patients. Mater Sociomed 2015;27:305-9.
27. Stojanovic M, Stefanovic V. Assessment of health-related quality of life inpatients treated with hemodialysis in Serbia: Influence of comorbidity, age, and income. Artif Organs 2007;31:53-60.
28. Anees M, Malik MR, Abbasi T, Nasir Z, Hussain Y, Ibrahim M. Demographic factors affecting quality of life of hemodialysis patients-Lahore, Pakistan. Pak J Med Sci 2014;30:1123-7.
29. Bayoumi M, Al Harbi A, AlSuwaida A, Al Ghonaim M, Al Wakeel J, Mishkiry A. Predictors of quality of life in hemodialysis patients. Saudi J Kidney Dis Transpl 2013;24:254-9.
30. Abdel-Kader K, Unruh ML, Weisbord SD. Symptom burden, depression, and quality of life in chronic and end-stage kidney disease. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2009;4:1057-64.
31. Mujais SK, Story K, Brouillette J, Takano T, Soroka S, Franek C, et al. Finkelstein. health-related quality of life in CKD Patients: Correlates and evolution over time. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol 2009;4:1293-301.
32. Md Yusop NB, Yoke Mun C, Shariff ZM, Beng Huat C. Factors associated with quality of life among hemodialysis patients in Malaysia. PLoS One 2013;8:e84152.
33. Murali R, Sathyanarayana D, Muthusethupathy MA. Assessment of quality of life in chronic kidney disease patients using the kidney disease quality of life-short form questionnaire in Indian population: A community based study. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:271-4.
34. Sihombing J, Hakim L, Andayani TM, Irijanto F. Quality of life of chronic kidney disease patients with routine hemodialysis in general hospitals in sleman Yogyakarta. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:213-6.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.