KNOWLEDGE ON HYPOGLYCEMIA AMONG PATIENTS WITH DIABETES MELLITUS.
Â Objective: The objective of the study is to assess the level of knowledge on hypoglycemia among patients with diabetes mellitus in the rural community. Hypoglycemia is an acute complication of diabetes mellitus. The recognition of hypoglycemia and immediate treatment of hypoglycemia should be known by all the diabetic patients so that treatment of hypoglycemia may not be delayed, need for hospitalization could be avoided, and life-threatening complications due to hypoglycemia may be prevented.
Methods: A cross-sectional research design was adopted with 60 samples who met the inclusion criteria in the rural community in India. Structured interview method was used to collect the data. Data were analyzed by descriptive and inferential statistics.
Result: Of 60 samples, 38 (63.33%) had inadequate knowledge, 12 (20%) of them had moderately adequate knowledge, and 10 (16.67%) of them had adequate knowledge. There is a significant association between the age and type of treatment at the level of p<0.05 with the level of knowledge on hypoglycemia.
Conclusion: The study findings emphasized that majority of the patients with diabetes mellitus do not have the knowledge on hypoglycemia. The health-care professional has an important role in educating diabetics on hypoglycemia so that hypoglycemic episodes and morbidity could be reduced or prevented.
2. Jain R, Jain P, Jain P. A review on treatment and prevention of diabetes mellitus. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2016;8:16-8.
3. Hinkle JL. Brunner and Siddarthâ€™s Textbook of Medical-Surgical Nursing. 13th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health Publication; 2014. p. 862-5.
4. Malouf R, Brust JC. Hypoglycemia: Causes, neurological manifestations, and outcome. Ann Neurol 1985;17:421-30.
5. Stahl M, Berger W. Higher incidence of severe hypoglycaemia leading to hospital admission in Type 2 diabetic patients treated with long-acting versus short-acting sulphonylureas. Diabet Med 1999;16:586-90.
6. Moradi M, Mousavi S. Drug use evaluation of diabetes mellitus in non-hospitalized patients. Int J Pharm pharm Sci 2016;8:337-41.
7. Kalsi A, Singh S, Taneja N, Kukal S, Mani S. Current treatments for Type 2 diabetes, their side effects and possible complementary treatments. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:13-8.
8. Holstein A, Egberts EH. Risk of hypoglycaemia with oral antidiabetic agents in patients with Type 2 diabetes. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2003;111:405-14.
9. Whitmer RA, Karter AJ, Yaffe K, Quesenberry CP Jr, Selby JV. Hypoglycemic episodes and risk of dementia in older patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. JAMA 2009;301:1565-72.
10. Bree AJ, Puente EC, Daphna-Iken D, Fisher SJ. Diabetes increasesbrain damage caused by severe hypoglycemia. Am J Physiol Endocrinol Metab 2009;297:E194-201.
11. Alagiakrishnan K, Mereu L. Approach to managing hypoglycemia in elderly patients with diabetes. Postgrad Med 2010;122:129-37.
12. Avila-Fematt FM, MontaÃ±a-Alvarez M. Hypoglycemia in the elderly with diabetes mellitus. Rev Invest Clin 2010;62:366-74.
13. Rupeshkumar M, Kavitha K, Haldar PK. Role of herbal plants in the diabetes mellitus therapy: An overview. Int J Appl Pharm 2014;6:1-3.
14. Workgroup on Hypoglycemia, American Diabetes Association. Defining and reporting hypoglycemia in diabetes. A report from the American Diabetes Association Workgroup on Hypoglycemia. Diabetes Care 2005;28:1245-9.
15. Shafiee G, Mohajeri-Tehrani M, Pajouhi M, Larijani B. The importance of hypoglycemia in diabetic patients. J Diabetes Metab Disord 2012;11:17.
16. Dejager S, Schweizer A. Minimizing the risk of hypoglycemia with vildagliptin: Clinical experience, mechanistic basis, and importance in Type 2 diabetes management. Diabetes Ther 2011;2:51-66.
17. Alberti KG, Zimmet P, Shaw J. International Diabetes Federation: A consensus on Type 2 diabetes prevention. Diabet Med 2007;24:451-63.
18. Shriraam V, Mahadevan S, Anitharani M, Jagadeesh NS, Kurup SB, Vidya TA, et al. Knowledge of hypoglycemia and its associated factors among Type 2 diabetes mellitus patients in a Tertiary Care Hospital in South India. Indian J Endocrinol Metab 2015;19:378-82.
19. Pai SA, George P. Study on awareness of symptoms of hypoglycaemia and early management among patients with diabetes. IOSR J Dent Med Sci 2015;14:11-3.
20. Gezie GN, Alemie GA, Ayele TA. Knowledge and practice on prevention of hypoglycemia among diabetic patients in South Gondar, Northwest Ethiopia: Institution based cross-sectional study. Integr Obes Diabetes 2015;1:56-60.
21. Reifegerste D, Hartleib S. Hypoglycemia-related information seeking among informal caregivers of Type 2 diabetes patients: Implications for health education. J Clin Transl Endocrinol 2016;4:7-12.
22. Tawfeeq W, Baker TY, Hatem SA, Jasem MK. Knowledge of Diabetic Patients about Hypoglycemia. Available from: http://www.iasj.net/iasj?func=fulltext&aId=35225. [Last Retrieved on 27 Aug 2017].
23. Gul N. Knowledge, attitudes and practices of Type 2 diabetic patients. J Ayub Med Coll Abbottabad 2010;22:128-31.