PRIMARY CENTRAL NERVOUS SYSTEM EFFUSION PLASMABLASTIC LYMPHOMA IN IMMUNOCOMPROMISED PATIENT: A RARE PHENOMENON
Primary effusion lymphoma (PEL) is an aggressive neoplasm with a high rate of fatality. PEL cells are known to have morphological diversities, which range from immunoblastic or plasmablastic to anaplastic. Most of these cases are described in immunocompromised as well as immunocompetent patients. Plasmablastic lymphoma remains a diagnostic challenge, especially when encountered with the presentation as PEL. In spite of therapeutic advances, PEL remains an aggressive disease with a high rate of fatality. We describe one case of this extremely rare neoplasm in an immunocompromised patient presenting in the form of primary central nervous system effusion plasmablastic lymphoma. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first case ever been reported in the literature.
2. Sandler AS, Kaplan LD. Diagnosis and management of systemic non- Hodgkinâ€™s lymphoma in HIV disease. Hematol Oncol Clin North Am 1996;10:1111.
3. CotÃ© TR, Biggar RJ, Rosenberg PS, Devesa SS, Percy C, Yellin FJ, et al. Non-hodgkinâ€™s lymphoma among people with AIDS: Incidence, presentation and public health burden. AIDS/Cancer study group. Int J Cancer 1997;73:645-50.
4. Wang CC, Kaplan LD. Clinical management of HIV-associated hematologic malignancies. Expert Rev Hematol 2016;9:361.
5. Simonelli C, Spina M, Cinelli R, Talamini R, Tedeschi R, Gloghini A, et al. Clinical features and outcome of primary effusion lymphoma in HIV-infected patients: A single-institution study. J Clin Oncol 2003;21:3948-54.
6. Jaffe ES, Harris NL, Stein H, Vardiman JW, editors. World Health Organization (WHO) Classification of Tumors. Pathology and Genetics of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissue. Lyon, France: IARC Press; 2009. p. 256-7.
7. Delecluse HJ, Anagnostopoulos I, Dallenbach F, Hummel M, Marafioti T, Schneider U, et al. Plasmablastic lymphomas of the oral cavity: A new entity associated with the human immunodeficiency virus infection. Blood 1997;89:1413-20.
8. Dales JP, Harket A, BagnÃ¨res D, Andrac-Meyer L, Xerri L, Frances Y, et al. Plasmablastic lymphoma in a patient with HIV infection: An unusual case located in the skin. Ann Pathol 2005;25:45-9.
9. Liang R, Wang Z, Chen XQ, Bai QX. Treatment of plasmablastic lymphoma with multiple organ involvement. Singapore Med J 2014;55:e194-7.
10. Huang X, Zhang Y, Gao Z. Plasmablastic lymphoma of the stomach with C-MYC rearrangement in an immunocompetent young adult: A case report. Medicine (Baltimore) 2015;94:e470.
11. Romero M, GonzÃ¡lez-Fontal GR, Saavedra C, Guerra J, Quintero G, Quijano S, et al. Primary CNS plasmablastic lymphoma in an HIV/ EBV negative patient: A case report. Diagn Cytopathol 2016;44:61-5.
12. Schichman SA, McClure R, Schaefer RF, Mehta P. HIV and plasmablastic lymphoma manifesting in sinus, testicles, and bones: A further expansion of the disease spectrum. Am J Hematol 2004;77:291-5.
13. Vasudevan G, Singh BM, Bishnu A, Kulshreshta A. Plasmablastic lymphoma: A report of 2 cases with review of literature. J Interdiscipl Histopathol 2016;4:74-8.
14. Stein H, Harris NL, Campo E. Plasmablastic lymphoma. In: Swerdlow SH, Campo E, Harris NL, Jaffe ES, Pileri SA, Stein H, et al. editors. WHO Classification of Tumours of Haematopoietic and Lymphoid Tissues. 4th ed. Lyon: IARC Press; 2008. p. 256-7.
15. Colomo L, Loong F, Rives S, Pittaluga S, MartÃnez A, LÃ³pez- Guillermo A, et al. Diffuse large B-cell lymphomas with plasmablastic differentiation represent a heterogeneous group of disease entities. Am J Surg Pathol 2004;28:736-47.
16. Castillo JJ, Reagan JL. Plasmablastic lymphoma: A systematic review. Sci World J 2011;11:687-96.
17. Malathi J, Janani MK, Murugan N, Madhavan HN. Draft genome sequence of human herpes virus-4 VRF_EBV_01, an Epstein Barr virus obtained from a pediatric post-transplant lymphoproliferative disorder (PTLD) patient. Int J Pharm PharmSci 2015;7:513-4.
18. Kim Y, Park CJ, Roh J, Huh J. Current concept in primary effusion lymphoma and other effusion-based lymphoma. Korean J Pathol 2014;48:81-90.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.