INCIDENTAL DETECTION OF CARCINOMA IN SITU IN FIBROADENOMA OF BREAST IN A YOUNG WOMAN: A RARE FINDING
Fibroadenoma is the most common benign tumor of the breast in young females. Breast cancer arising within a fibroadenoma is a rare phenomenon. The incidence of carcinoma within a fibroadenoma is reported to be between 0.1% and 0.3% in a screened population, with a peak age of occurrence between the 4th and 5th decade. We present a case of 29-year-old female with ductal carcinoma in situ in a background of fibroadenoma. There is a low percentage of fibroadenomas harboring carcinoma; however, all breast lumps should be seriously managed; extirpation and histological examination is recommended.
2. Abu-Rahmeh Z, Nseir W, Naroditzky I. Invasive ductal carcinoma within fibroadenoma and lung metastases. Int J Gen Med 2012;5:19-21.
3. Nayak R. Medullary breast carcinoma in a young female aged 30: A rare case report. Int J Pharm Bio Sci 2014;5(3):461-4.
4. Reddy KC, Kumar KM, Divyagna T. Incidentally detected carcinoma in situ in a fibroadenoma breast in a postmenopausal woman: A case report. Int Arch Integr Med 2015;2:197-202.
5. Cheatle GL, Cutler M. Tumours of the Breast. Their pathology, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment. London: Edward Arnoled and Co.; 1931. p. 483.
6. Shah AK, Pathak R, Banerje Niazi M, Girishkumar HT. Lobular carcinoma-in-situ within a fibroadenoma of the breast. Postgrad Med J 1999;75:293-4.
7. Rao S, Latha PS, Ravi A, Thanka J. Ductal carcinoma in multiple fibroadenoma: Diagnostic inaccuracies. J Cancer Res Ther 2010;6:385-7.
8. Tiu CM, Chou YH, Chiou SY, Hsu CY, Chen SP, Chiang HR, et al. Development of a carcinoma in situ in a fibroadenoma. J Ultrasound Med 2006;25:1335-8.
9. Diaz NM, Palmer JO, Mc Divett RW. Carcinoma arising within fibroadenomas of the breast; A clinic pathologic study of 105 patients. Am J Clin Pathol 1991;95:614-22.
10. Ozzello L, Gump FE. The management of patients with carcinomas in fibroadenomatous tumours of the breast. Surg Gynecol Obstet 1985;160:9-104.
11. Fondo EY, Rosen PP, Frachia AA, Urban JA. The problem of carcinoma developing in a fibroadenoma. Cancer 1979;43:450-6.
12. Gashi-Luci LH, Limani RA, Kurshumliu FI. Invasive ductal carcinoma within fibroadenoma: A case report. Cases J 2009;2:174.
13. Limite G, Esposito E, Sollazzo V, Ciancia G, Formisano C, Di Micco R, et al. Lobular intraepithelial within breast fibroadenoma. BMC Res Notes 2013;6:267.
14. Kujiper A, Preisler-Adams SS, Rahusen FD, Gille JJ, Wall E, van Diest PJ. Multiple fibroadenomas harboring carcinoma in situ in a woman with a family history of breast/ovarian cancer. J Clin Pathol 2002;55:795-7.
15. Dupont WD, Page DL, Parl FF, Vnencak-Jones CL, Plummer WD Jr., Rados MS, et al. Long term risk of breast cancer in women with fibroadenoma. N Engl J Med 1994;331:10-5.
16. Abe H, Hanasawa K, Naitoh H, Endo Y, Tani T, Kushima R. Invasive ductal carcinoma within a fibroadenoma of the breast. Int J Clin Oncol 2004;9:334-8.
17. Stafyla V, Kotsifopoulos N, Grigoriades K, Kassaras G, Sakorafas GH. Lobular carcinoma in situ of the breast within a fibroadenoma. A case report. Gynecol Oncol 2004;94:572-4.
18. Kurosumi M, Itokazy R, Mamiya Y, Kishi K, Takayama SH, Nagasawa M, et al. Invasive ductal carcinoma with a predominant intraductal component arising in a fibroadenoma of the breast. Pathol Int 1994;44:874-7.
19. Azzopardi JG, Ahmed A, Mills RR. Problems in breast pathology. In: Bennigton JC, editor. Major Problems in Pathology. Edinburgh: WB Saunders Company Ltd.; 1979. p. 325-8.
20. Kwon MJ, Park HR, Seo J, Kim DH, Jung K, Lim YA, et al. Simultaneous occurrence of ductal carcinoma in situ within juvenile fibroadenoma in both breasts: A brief case report. Korean J Pathol 2014;48:164-6.
21. Preethi MI, Kumar PS, Karthikeyan S, Namboori PK. â€˜BRCA1â€™ responsiveness towards breast cancer-a population-wise pharmacogenomic analysis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:267-70.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.