ESTIMATION OF GUGGULSTERONE-Z IN GOKSHURADI GUGGULU USING REVERSED-PHASE HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY
Objective: A study was aimed to estimate guggulsterone-Z (GZ) in Gokshuradi Guggulu (GG).
Methods: An analytical method was developed and validated using Waters Alliance high-performance liquid chromatography system (Empower software), equipped with photodiode array detector. Separation was achieved using Phenomenex, C-18 (250 mmÃ—4.6 mm, 5 Î¼) column. Mobile phase consisted of acetonitrile:water (70:30,v/v). Flow rate was set to 1 ml/min and detection was performed at 251 nm.
Results and Discussion: Validation parameters such as linearity, precision, accuracy, limit of detection, limit of quantification, and robustness were performed. Amount of GZ was estimated using linearity equation.
Conclusion: GG was found to contain 0.815Â±0.03 g% w/w GZ. Validated method may be used as one of the parameters to standardize the formulation.
2. Bajaj AG, Dev S. Chemistry of ayurvedic crude drugs. Tetrahedrone 1982;38:2949-54.
3. Sahni S, Hepfinger CA, Sauer KA. Guggulu lipid used in hyperlipidemia: Case report and review of the literature. Am J Health Syst Pharm 2005;62:1690-2.
4. Dev S. A modern look at an age old ayurvedic drug- Guggul. Sci Age 1987;1987:13-8.
5. Satyavati GV, Dwarakanath C, Tripathi SN. Experimental studies on the hypocholesterolemic effect of Commiphora mukul. Engl. (Guggul). Ind J Med Res 1969;57:1950-62.
6. Urizar NL, Moore DD. Gugulipid: A natural cholesterol-lowering agent. Ann Rev Nutr 2003;23:303-13.
7. The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission. Anonymous. Indian Pharmacopoeia. 6th ed. Vol. 3. Ghaziabad: The Indian Pharmacopoeia Commission; 2010. p. 25046.
8. Latha BP, Reddy IR, Ismail SM, Vijaya T. Medicinal plants and their derivatives as potential source in treatment of obesity. Asian J Exp Biol Sci 2010;1:71927.
9. Saxena G, Singh SP, Pal R, Singh S, Pratap R, Nath C. Gugulipid, an extract of Commiphora whighitii with lipidlowering properties, has protective effects against Streptozotocininduced memory deficits in mice. Pharm Biochem Behav 2007;86:797805.
10. Gujral ML, Saxena K, Tangri KK, Amma MK, Roy AK. Anti-arthritic and anti-inflammatory activity of gum Guggul (Basalsamodenron mukul Hook). Ind J Physiol Pharm 1960;40:26773.
11. Patel MA, Acharya SR, Macwan CP, Patel TB, Suhagia BN. Evaluation of physico-chemical parameters of different Shodhit guggul. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:247-51.
12. Kulhari A, Sheorayan A, Chaudhury A, Sarkar S, Kalia RK. Quantitative determination of guggulsterone in existing natural populations of Commiphora wightii(Arn.) Bhandari for identification of germ plasm having higher guggulsterone content. Physiol Mol Biol Plants2015;21:71-81.
13. Vyas KY, Shukla VJ, Galib, Prajapati PK. Comparative physico-chemical profiles of Fresh (Naveena) and Old (Purana) Guggulu (Commiphorawightii (Arn.) Bhandari) a pilot study. J Ayur Herb Med 2015;1:61-5.
14. Indian council of Medical Research. Anonymus. Quality Standards of Indian Medicinal Plants. New Diehl: Indian council of Medical Research; 2005. p. 177-88.
15. Bhatt RS, Kumar D, Chhonker YS, Jain G K. Simultaneous estimation of E-and Z-isomers of guggulsterone in rabbit plasma using liquid chromatography tandem mass spectrometry and its application to pharmacokinetic study. Biomed Chromatogr 2011;25:1054-60.
16. Patil P, Nipanikar S, Bhusnar H, Nagore D. Simultaneous estimation of guggulsterone E, GUGGULSTERONE Z, KBA, AKBA, with a ferin A and 6-Gingerol by Using HPLC-DAD method from ariflex tablet Formulation. Int J Pharm Sci Drug Res 2015;7:89-95.
17. Akhade MS, Agrawal PA, Laddha KS. Development and validation of RPHPLC method for simultaneous estimation of picroside I, plumbagin, and Zguggulsterone in tablet formulation. Ind J Pharm Sci 2013;75:476-82.
18. Muguli G, Vadaparthi PR, Ramesh B, Gowda V, Paramesh R, Jadhav AN, et al. A novel highperformance liquid chromatographyelectron spray ionizationmass spectrometry method for simultaneous determination of guggulsterones, piperine and gallic acid in Triphalaguggulu. Pharm Mag 2015;11 Supplement 1:66-72.
19. Mogal N, Agrawal M. Simultaneous determination of diosgenin and guggulsterone-Z in Gokshuradi guggulu tablet by high-performance thin-layer chromatography. Asian J Bio Pharm Sci 2015;5:32-4.
20. Vyas J, Itankar P, Tauqeer M, Kelkar A, Agrawal M. Development of HPTLC method for estimation of piperine, Guggulsterone E and Z in polyherbal formulation. Pharm J 2013;5:259-64.
21. Itankar P, Nagulwar DB, BhatlawandeB. Physical, phytochemical and chromatographic evaluation of Triphala guggul Tablets. Int J Pharm Phytopharmacol Res 2015;4:306-9.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.