SARGASSUM POLYCYSTUM METHANOL EXTRACT AFFECTS THE NUCLEAR FACTOR-k BETA AND INTERLEUKIN-6 EXPRESSION IN STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED DIABETES RATS
Objective: The objective of this study is to investigate the attenuation of the nuclear factor-Îº beta (NF-ÎºB) and interleukin (IL)-6 expression in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats by Sargassum polycystum methanol extract.
Methods: Diabetic rats were intraperitoneally induced by streptozotocin (40 mg/kg b.w.). S. polycystum methanol extract was administered to diabetic rats for 45 days. The effect of S. polycystum methanol extract on blood glucose, hemoglobin A1c (HbA1c), NF-ÎºB, and IL-6 expression was investigated on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. The gliclazide (30 mg/kg b.w., p.o.) was used as a reference antidiabetic drug.
Results: The administration of S. polycystum methanol extract on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats decreased the blood glucose level, HbA1c, NF-ÎºB, and IL-6.
Conclusion: S. polycystum methanol extract indicates a promising anti-inflammation agent in diabetes.
2. Saad EA, Habib SA, Refai WA, Elfayoumy AA. Malondialdehyde, adiponectin, nitric oxide, c-reactive protein, tumor necrosis factor-alpha and insulin resistance relationships and interrelationships in Type 2 diabetes early stage. Is metformin alone adequate in this stage? Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:176-81.
3. Byun K, Yoo Y, Son M, Lee J, Jeong GB, Park YM, et al. Advanced glycation end-products produced systemically and by macrophages: A common contributor to inflammation and degenerative diseases. Pharmacol Ther 2017;177:44-55.
4. Daroux M, PrÃ©vost G, Maillard-Lefebvre H, Gaxatte C, Dâ€™Agati VD, Schmidt AM, et al. Advanced glycation end-products: Implications for diabetic and non-diabetic nephropathies. Diabetes Metab 2010;36:1-0.
5. Pittman JM, Schalliol LA, Ray SD. Insulin and other hypoglycemic drugs. Side Eff Drugs Annu 2017;39:435-46.
6. Ateweberhan M, Bruggemann JH, Breeman AM. Seasonal changes in size structure of Sargassum and Turbinaria populations (Phaeophyceae) on tropical reef flats in the southern red sea. J Phycol 2009;45:69-80.
7. Mattio L, Anderson RJ, Bolton JJ. A revision of the genus Sargassum (Fucales, Phaeophyceae) in South Africa. South Afr J Botany 2015;98:95-107.
8. Kanimoshi AS, Johnson M, Malar RJ. Phytochemical composition of Sargassum polycystum and Sargassum duplicatum J. Agardh. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:393-7.
9. Firdaus M, Astawan M, Muchtadi D, Wresdiyati T, Waspadji S, Karyono SS. Acute oral toxicity of methanol extract from brown algae Sargassum echinocarpum. J Pengol Hasil Perik Indo 2012;15:148-55.
10. Firdaus M. Antioxidant activity index of brown seaweed (Sargassum aquifolium) extract. J Pengol Hasil Perik Indo 2013;16:24-7.
11. Liu L, Heinrich M, Myers S, Dworjanyn SA. Towards a better understanding of medicinal uses of the brown seaweed sargassum in traditional Chinese medicine: A phytochemical and pharmacological review. J Ethnopharmacol 2012;142:591-619.
12. Firdaus M, Soeharto S. Sargassum polycystum extract attenuates oxidative stress on diabetic rats. J Coast Life Med 2016;4:944-8.
13. Mishra A, Gautam S, Pal S, Mishra A, Rawat AK, Maurya R, et al. Effect of Momordicacharantia fruits on streptozotocin-induced diabetes mellitus and its associated complications. Int J Pharm Pharma Sci 2015;7:356-63.
14. Zhao C, Yang CF, Liu B, Lin L, Sarker SD, Nahar L, et al. Bioactive compounds from marine macroalgae and their hypoglycemic benefits. Trends in Food Sci Tech 2018;72:1-12.
15. Surana YS, Ashok P, Rajendran R. Evaluation of antidiabetic, hypolipidemic and antioxidant activity of polyherbal formulation in streptozotocin-nicotinamide induced diabetes in rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:105-10.
16. Yeh WJ, Hsia SM, Lee WH, Wu CH. Polyphenols with antiglycation activity and mechanisms of action: A review of recent findings. J Food Drug Anal 2017;25:84-92.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.