EVALUATION OF MUCUNA PRURIENS SEED EXTRACT FOR ITS ACUTE ORAL TOXICITY IN ALBINO RATS
Objectives: The present study was carried out to evaluate the hydroalcoholic extract of Mucuna pruriens (HAMP) seeds for its acute oral toxicity in albino rats.
Methods: Acute oral toxicity of MP seed extract was assessed in albino rats with three different doses of the extract with 175, 550, and 2000 mg/ kg body weight. Body weight, mortality, and clinical signs were recorded on 0 (before administration), 7th, and 14th days. Rats were sacrificed after day 14 and observed for any histological changes in the brain, heart, liver, and kidney tissues. Rats were normal up to 1 h and exhibited dullness and piloerection after 1 h which continued up to 2–4 h of observation period on day 0 of administration. All animals appeared normal from day 1 to throughout the experimental procedure.
Results: No significant changes in the histological structure of the liver, kidney, and heart were noticed except mild congestion and hydropic changes only in liver tissue seen for 2000 mg/kg body weight of HAMP seeds. The seed extract of MP is non-toxic to rats and did not show any mortality nor the behavioral changes. In addition, it showed an increase in the body weight with the administration up to 2000 mg/kg body weight.
Conclusion: MP seed extract signified as neurosuppressant, and the drug can be used in the treatment of neurological disorders characterized by hyperactivity of the neurons. The present data could provide adequate confirmation of the safety of MP for further experimental studies on a standardized formulation of the seeds extract.
2. Rajeshwar Y, Gupta M, Mazumder UK. Antitumor activity and in vivo antioxidant status of Mucuna pruriens (Fabaceae) seeds against Ehrlich ascites carcinoma in Swiss albino mice. Iran J Pharm Ther 2005;4:46-53.
3. Reddy VB, Iuga AO, Shimada SG, LaMotte RH, Lerner EA. Cowhage-evoked itch is mediated by a novel cysteine protease: A ligand of protease-activated receptors. J Neurosci 2008;28:4331-5.
4. Guerranti R, Aguiyi JC, Leoncini R, Pagani R, Cinci G, Marinello E. Characterization of the factor responsible for the antisnake activity of Mucuna pruriens seeds. J Prev Med Hyg 1999;40:25-8.
5. Tan NH, Fung SY, Sim SM, Marinello E, Guerranti R, Aguiyi JC, et al. The protective effect of Mucuna pruriens seeds against snake venom poisoning. J Ethnopharmacol 2009;123:356-8.
6. Meenatchisundaram S, Michael A. Antitoxin activity of Mucuna pruriens aqueous extracts against cobra and krait venom by in vivo and in vitro methods. Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:870-4.
7. Daxenbichler ME, Van Etten CH, Earle FR, Tallent WH. 1-Dopa recovery from Mucuna seed. J Agric Food Chem 1972;20:1046-8.
8. Lieu CA, Kunselman AR, Manyam BV, Venkiteswaran K, Subramanian T. A water extract of Mucuna pruriens provides long-term amelioration of parkinsonism with reduced risk for dyskinesias. Parkinsonism Relat Disord 2010;16:458-65.
9. Kulhalli P. Parkinson’s disease therapy-an overview. Heritage Heal 1999;98:29-30.
10. Champatisingh D, Sahu PK, Pal A, Nanda GS. Anticataleptic and antiepileptic activity of ethanolic extract of leaves of Mucuna pruriens: A study on role of dopaminergic system in epilepsy in albino rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2011;43:197-9.
11. Siddhuraju P, Becker K. Rapid reversed-phase high performance liquid chromatographic method for the quantification of L-Dopa (L-3, 4-dihydroxyphenylalanine), non-methylated and methylated tetrahydroisoquinoline compounds from Mucuna beans. Food Chem 2001;72:389-94.
12. Misra L, Wagner H. Alkaloidal constituents of Mucuna pruriens seeds. Phytochemistry 2004;65:2565-7.
13. Manyam BV, Dhanasekaran M, Hare TA. Neuroprotective effects of the antiparkinson drug Mucuna pruriens. Phytother Res 2004;18:706-12.
14. Vamsi S, Raviteja M, Kumar GS. In-vitro antiurolithiatic potential of various extracts of Mucuna pruriens. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:3897.
15. Akhtar MS, Qureshi AQ, Iqbal JA. Antidiabetic evaluation of Mucuna pruriens, Linn seeds. J Pak Med Assoc 1990;40:147-50.
16. Sathiyanarayanan L, Arulmozhi S. Mucuna pruriens Linn. A comprehensive review. Pharm Rev 2007;1:157.
17. Sruthi T, Satyavati D, Upendar K, Kumar CP. Antidiabetic activity and anti-oxidant activity of niddwin, a polyherbal formulation in alloxan induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:273-7.
18. Kumar DS, Muthu AK, Smith AA, Manavalan R. In vitro antioxidant activity of various extracts of whole plant of Mucuna pruriens (Linn). Int J Pharm Tech Res 2010;2:2063-70.
19. Vadivel V, Pugalenthi M. Removal of antinutritional/toxic substances and improvement in the protein digestibility of velvet bean (Mucuna pruriens) seeds during processing. J Food Sci Technol 2008;45:242-6.
20. Usda N. The Plants Database, Version 3.5. Baton Rouge, LA: National Plant Data Center; 2004. p. 4490-70874.
21. Acute Oral Toxicity (OECD Test Guideline 425) (AOT), 2001. Statistical pro-Gramme (AOT425StatPgm), version 1.0. Available from: http:// www.oecd.org/oecd/pages/home/displaygeneral/0,3380,EN-document- 524-nodirectorate-no-24-6775-8,FF.htm.
22. Krishna AB, Manikyam HK, Sharma VK, Sharma N. Acute oral toxicity study in rats with Mucuna pruriens seed extract. Asian J Plant Sci Res 2016;6:1-5.
23. Jothy SL, Zakaria Z, Chen Y, Lau YL, Latha LY, Sasidharan S, et al. Acute oral toxicity of methanolic seed extract of cassia fistula in mice. Molecules 2011;16:5268-82.
24. Shafi S, Tabassum N. Phytochemical and acute toxicity study of Eriobotrya japonica seed extract in albino mice. Int J Res Pharm Biomed Sci 2013;12:202-5.
25. Pritchett-Corning KR, Chang FT, Festing MF. Breeding and housing laboratory rats and mice in the same room does not affect the growth or reproduction of either species. J Am Assoc Lab Anim Sci 2009;48:492-8.
26. American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). AVMA Guidelines on Euthanasia. AVMA Animal Welfare Division; 2007. Available from: http://email@example.com.
27. Sardjono RE, Musthapa I, Qowiyah SA, Rachmawati R. Acute toxicity evaluation of ethanol extract of Indonesian velvet beans. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:161-5.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.