EFFECTS OF TELMISARTAN ON PLASMA INTERLEUKIN-6 AND C-REACTIVE PROTEIN LEVELS IN MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE-INDUCED OBESITY IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS
Objectives: The objectives of this study were to evaluate the effects of telmisartan on plasma interleukin (IL)-6 and C-reactive protein (CRP) levels in monosodium glutamate (MSG)-induced obesity in Wistar albino rats.
Methods: MSG at the dose of 500 mg/kg body weight is dissolved in distilled water and administered for 22 days. On the 9th day, telmisartan 7.5 mg/kg body weight is administered. After completion of experiment, body weight and biochemical parameters such as plasma IL-6 and CRP levels are measured using enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay.
Results: Telmisartan significantly decreased plasma IL-6 and CRP levels in MSG-treated obese rats.
Conclusion: Telmisartan, probably through its peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-γ agonistic activity, produces significant anti-obesity effects in rats and may help in treating obese patients with metabolic syndrome.
2. Chowdhury MA, Uddin MJ, Khan HM, Haque MR. Type 2 diabetes and its correlates among adults in Bangladesh: A population based study. BMC Public Health 2015;15:1070.
3. Kulie T, Slattengren A, Redmer J, Counts H, Eglash A, Schrager S. Obesity and women’s health: An evidence-based review. J Am Board Fam Med 2011;24:75-85.
4. Colon-Gonzalez F, Kim GW, Lin JE, Valentino MA, Waldman SA. Obesity pharmacotherapy: What is next? Mol Aspect Med 2013;34:71-83.
5. Husarova V, Ostatnikov D. Monosodium glutamate toxic effects and their implications for human in-take: A review. JMED Res 2013;2013:608765.
6. Tawfik MS, Al-Badr N. Adverse effects of monosodium glutamate on liver and kidney functions in adult rats and potential protective effect of Vitamins C and E. Food Nutr Sci 2012;3:651-9.
7. Rhodes J, Titherley AC, Norman JA, Wood R, Lord DW. A survey of the monosodium glutamate content of foods and an estimation of the dietary intake of monosodium glutamate. Food Addit Contam 1991;8:663-72.
8. Sindhu S, Thomas R, Shihab P, Sriraman D, Behbehani K, Ahmed R. Obesity is a positive modulator of IL-6R and IL-6 expression in the subcutaneous adipose tissue: Significance for metabolic inflammation. PLoS One 2015;10:e0133494.
9. Visser M, Bouter LM, McQuillan GM, Wener MH, Harris TB. Elevated C-reactive protein levels in overweight and obese adults. JAMA 1999;282:2131-5.
10. Yoga R, Theis J, Walton M, Sutherland W. Interleukin-6 as an early marker for fat embolism. J Orthop Surg Res 2009;4:18.
11. Tunc-Ata M, Turgut G, Dalyanoglu MM, Turgut S. Examination of levels pentraxin-3, interleukin-6, and C-reactive protein in rat model acute and chronic exercise. J Exerc Rehabil 2017;13:279-83.
12. Segula D. Complications of obesity in adults: A short review of the literature. Malawi Med J 2014;26:20-4.
13. Kahn BB, Flier JS. Obesity and insulin resistance. J Clin Invest 2000;106:473-81.
14. Sriram BS, Ravichandra V. An experimental study evaluating the influence of quercetin on monosodium glutamate-induced depression in swiss albino male mice”. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:292-4.
15. Cheung BM, Cheung TT, Samaranayake NR. Safety of antiobesity drugs. Ther Adv Drug Saf 2013;4:171-81.
16. Jain V, Kumar A, Agarwala A, Vikram N, Ramakrishnan L. Adiponectin, interleukin-6 and high-sensitivity C-reactive protein levels inoverweight/ obese Indian children. Indian Pediatr 2017;54:848-50.
17. Mori Y, Itoh Y, Tajima N. Angiotensin II receptor blockers downsize adipocytes in spontaneously Type 2 diabetic rats with visceral fat obesity. Am J Hypertens 2007;20:431-6.
18. Feng X, Luo Z, Ma L, Ma S, Yang D, Zhao Z, et al. Angiotensin II receptor blocker telmisartan enhances running endurance of skeletal muscle through activation of the PPAR-?/AMPK pathway. J Cell Mol Med 2011;15:1572-81.
19. He H, Yang D, Ma L, Luo Z, Ma S, Feng X, et al. Telmisartan prevents weight gain and obesity through activation of peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor-?-Dependent pathways. Hypertension 2010;55:869-79.
20. Shimabukuro M, Tanaka H, Shimabukuro T. Effects of telmisartan on fat distribution in individuals with the metabolic syndrome. J Hypertens 2007;25:841-8.
21. Buggana SJ, Paturi MC, Prasad VV. 2,4-Substituted quinazoline as JAK2 Inhibitor: Docking And Molecular Dynamics Study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;12:48-54.
22. Chandrasekaran R, Sivaraman T, Sivaramakrishnan S, Kumar JJ. A computational approach on understanding structural interactions of envelope protein of dengue virus bound with squalene, a prototype anti-viral compound. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2019;11:113-6.
23. Fathy HM. Inhibition of tumour necrosis factor (TNF) activity by a new ergostane steroid from cleome droserifolia. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;10:139-42.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.