ANTI-METALOTOXIC PROPERTIES OF KELAKAI (STENOCHLAENA PALUSTRIS) LEAVES EXTRACT AGAINST CADMIUM-INDUCED LIVER TISSUE DAMAGE
Objective: The present study was undertaken to investigate the anti-metalotoxic activity of the leaves extract of Stenochlaena palustris (kelakai; S. palsutris) on cadmium (Cd)-induced liver tissue damage.
Methods: Liver tissue damage was induced by the administration of cadmium sulfate (CdSO4) at a dose 3 mg/l. Anti-metalotoxic effect of the extracts was determined by assessing the concentration of malondialdehyde (MDA), carbonyl compound (CC), conjugated dienes (CD), and advanced oxidation protein products (AOPPs) induced by Cd with and without the presence of the extract.
Results: The results of this present studies showed that treatment with CdSO4 significantly increase the levels of MDA, CC, CD, and AOPPs. The leaves extract of S. palustris significantly decrease the levels of all measured parameter in liver tissue.
Conclusion: The present study demonstrated that Cd could induced the liver tissue damage, and the extract of S. palsutris showed the anti-metalotoxic activity to reduce the damage.
2. Sofarini D, Rahman A, Ridwan I. Study of cadmium test analysis on water bodies, biota, and sediments in the waters of the Barito River watershed. Bumi Lestari J Environ 2010;1:28-37.
3. Rahman A. The content of lead (Pb) and cadmium (Cd) in some types of crustaceans in Batakan Beach and Takisung Regency Tanah Laut, South Kalimantan. Bioscientiae 2006;3:93-101.
4. Komari N, Irawati U, Novita E. The content of cadmium and zinc in baung fish (Hemibagrus nemurus) in Trisakti Waters Banjarmasin, South Kalimantan. Sci Appl Chem 2013;7:42-9.
5. Bernard A. Cadmium and its adverse effects on human health. Indian J Med Res 2008;128:557-64.
6. Markiewicz-GÃ³rka I, Januszewska L, Michalak A, Prokopowicz A, Januszewska E, Pawlas N, et al. Effects of chronic exposure to lead, cadmium, and manganese mixtures on oxidative stress in rat liver and heart. Arh Hig Rada Toksikol 2015;66:51-62.
7. Suhartono E, Triawanti, Leksono AS, Djati MS. Effects of cadmium exposure on lipid peroxidation and chlorinative stress of rat kidney. J Exp Life Sci 2015;5:1-5.
8. Suhartono E, Triawanti, Yunanto A, Firdaus RT, Iskandar TF. Chronic cadmium hepatooxidative in rats: Treatment with haruan fish (Channa striata) extract. APCBEE Proc 2013;5:441-5.
9. Aflanie I, Muhyi R, Suhartono E. Effect of heavy metal on malondialdehyde and advanced oxidation protein produtcs concentration: A focus on arsenic, cadmium, and mercury. J Med Biol Eng 2015;4:332-7.
10. Suhartono E, Iskandar, Hamidah S, Arifin YF. Phytochemical constituents analysis and neuroprotective effect of leaves of gemor (Nothaphoebe Coriacea) on cadmium-induced neurotoxicity in rats: An in-vitro study. Int J Toxicol Pharm Res 2015;7:297-302.
11. Suhartono E, Nijka JA, Anhar VY, Sari RA, Edyson E, Marisa D. Anti-lipid peroxidation activities of three selected fruits juices against cadmium induced liver damage in vitro. J Trop Life Sci 2015;5:75-9.
12. Karantika EA, Edyson S, Suhartono E. Kinetic parameters analysis of liver and kidney catalase under the influence of cadmium (Cd) and mercury (Hg) in vitro. J Trop Life Sci 2016;6:65-8.
13. Suhartono E, Bahriansyah M, Triawanti T. The inhibition effect of kelakai (Stenochlaena palustris) extract on cadmium-induced glycation and fructation in-vitro. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8:248-53.
14. Suhartono E, Viani E, Rahmadhan MA, Gultom IS, Rakhman MF, Indrawardhana D. Screening of medicinal plant for total flavonoid and antioxidant activity in South Kalimantan of Indonesian. Int J Chem Eng Apl 2012;3:297-9.
15. Aflanie I, Sari NN, Suhartono E. Oxidative and chlorinative stress biomarkers in liver cells of rats exposed to cyanide in-vitro. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8:1441-5.
16. Suhartono E, Triawanti, Leksono AS, Djati MS. The role of cadmium in protein glycation by glucose: Formation of methylglyoxal and hydrogen peroxide in vitro. J Med Biol Eng 2014;3:59-62.
17. Hoglen NC, Younis HS, Hartley DP, Gunawardhana L, Lantz RC, Sipe IE. 1,2-dichlorobenzene-lnduced lipid peroxidation in male fischer 344 rats is kupffer cell dependent. Toxicol Sci 1998;46:376-85.
18. Yunanto A, Iskandar S, Suhartono E. In-vitro effects of some antibiotic drugs on saliva thiocyanate and oxidation protein products levels on newborn at risk of sepsis. Int J Pharm Clin Res 2016;8:86-9.
19. Mitra E, Ghosh D, Ghosh AK, Basu A, Chattopadhay A, Pattari SK, et al. Aqueous tulsi Leaf (Ocimum sanctum) extract posseesses antioxidant properties adn protec against cadmium-induced oxidative stress in rat heart. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2013;6:500-13.
20. Haouem S, El Hani A. Effect of cadmium on lipid peroxidation and on some antioxidants in the liver, kidneys and testes of rats given diet containing cadmium-polluted radish bulbs. J Toxicol Pathol 2013;26:359-64.
21. Nair AR, Degheselle O, Smeets K, Van Kerkhove E, Cuypers A. Cadmium-induced pathologies: Where is the oxidative balance lost (or not)? Int J Mol Sci 2013;14:6116-43.
22. Anjum NA, Sofo A, Scopa A, Roychoudhury A, Gill SS, Iqbal M, et al. Lipids and proteins-major targets of oxidative modifications in abiotic stressed plants. Environ Sci Pollut Res Int 2015;22:4099-121.
23. Ayala A, MuÃ±oz MF, ArgÃ¼elles S. Lipid peroxidation: Production, metabolism, and signaling mechanisms of malondialdehyde and 4-hydroxy-2-nonenal. Oxid Med Cell Longev 2014;2014:360438.
24. Witko-Sarsat V, Friedlander M, Capeillere-Blandin C, Nguyen- Khoa T, Nguyen AT, Zingraff J, et al. Advanced oxidation protein products as a novel marker of oxidative stress in uremia. Kidney Int 1996;49:1304-13.
25. BaÅŸkol M, Dolbun SeÃ§kin K, BaÅŸkol G. Advanced oxidation protein products, total thiol levels and total oxidant/antioxidant status in patients with nash. Turk J Gastroenterol 2014;25 Suppl 1:32-7.
26. ZuwaÅ‚a-JagieÅ‚Å‚o J, Pazgan-Simon M, Simon K, Warwas M. Elevated advanced oxidation protein products levels in patients with liver cirrhosis. Acta Biochim Pol 2009;56:679-85.