A NOVEL SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC DETERMINATION OF METHYLDOPA THROUGH TERNARY COMPLEXATION PROCEDURE USING FE(III), MN(II), AND CO(II) WITH 2-AMINOPYRIDINE
Objective: The present study is aimed to find a three simple, low cost, accurate, rapid, and sensitive spectrophotometric methods based on the formation of ternary complexes to assay methyldopa (MTD) in both pure and pharmaceutical dosage forms.
Methods: The suggested complexation procedure is based on the formation of ternary complex among MTD, 2-aminopyridine (2-Amp), and different metal cations such as [Fe(III), Mn(II), and Co(II)] to form three complexes of Fe(III)-MTD-2-Amp (A), Mn(II)-MTD-2-Amp (B), and Co(II)-MTD-2-Amp (C) in an aqueous medium.
Results: The obtained colored complexes are spectrophotometrically measured for the previously mentioned complexes at 572, 473, and 465 nm, respectively. Under optimum conditions, the complexes exhibited apparent, molar absorptivities of 1810.62, 2954.18, and 2596.8 l/mol/cm, Sandell’s sensitivity of 0.132, 0.08, and 0.092 μg/cm2, and Beer–Lambert’s law is obeyed over the ranges 4–40, 4–32, and 4–40 μg/ml for the three developed methods, respectively.
Conclusion: The developed spectrophotometric methods showed excellent results in regard to accuracy and precision with recovery of 99.48±1.62%, 100.24±1.76%, and 100.72±1.65% of the complexes A, B, and C, respectively. The obtained results are compared statistically with a reported method with respect to t- and F-tests and the calculated results displayed no significant difference.
2. Emara S, Masujima T, Zarad W, Kamal M, Fouad M, El-Bagary R, et al. An eco-friendly direct injection HPLC method for methyldopa determination in serum by mixed-mode chromatography using a single protein-coated column. J Chromatogr Sci 2015;53:1353-60.
3. Perez-Mella B, Alvarez-Lueje A. Development of a carbon nanotube modified ionic liquid electrode for the voltammetric determination of methyldopa levels in urine. Electroanalysis 2013;25:2193-9.
4. Emara S, Masujima T, Zarad W, Kamal M, Fouad M, El-Bagary R. A Combination of isocratic and gradient elution modes in HPLC with the aid of time-overlapping process for rapid determination of methyldopa in human urine. J Liq Chromatogr Relat Technol 2015;38:153-62.
5. Vlase L, Mihu D, Popa DS, Popa A, Briciu C, Loghin F, et al. Determination of methyl dopain human plasma by LC/MS-MS for therapeutic drug monitoring. Studia UBB Chem 2013;1:31-41.
6. Shahrokhiana S, Rastgara S. Electrodeposition of Pt–Ru nanoparticles on multi-walled carbon nanotubes: Application in sensitive voltammetric determination of methyldopa. Electrochim Acta 2011;58:125-33.
7. Karimi-Maleh H, Khalilzadeh MA, Ranjbarha Z, Beitollahi H, Ensafid AA, Zareyeeb D. p-chloranil modified carbon nanotubes paste electrode as a voltammetric sensor for the simultaneous determination of methyldopa and uric acid. Anal Methods 2012;4:2088-94.
8. Molaakbari E, Mostafavi A, Beitollahi H. First report for voltammetric determination of methyldopa in the presence of folic acid and glycine. Mater Sci Eng C Mater Biol Appl 2014;36:168-72.
9. Ramirez C, Del Valle MA, Isaacs M, Armijo F. Electrochemical oxidation of catecholamines on fluorine-doped SnO2 substrates. Square-wave voltammetric method for methyldopa determination in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Electrochim Acta 2016;199:227-33.
10. Chaichi MJ, Khajvand T, Mehrzad J, Asghari S, Qandalee M. Electrochemical oxidation of catecholamines on fluorine-doped SnO2 substrates. Square-wave voltammetric method for methyldopa determination in pharmaceutical dosage forms. Anal Sci 2013;29:815 21.
11. Ghasemi F, Hormozi-Nezhad MR, Mahmoudi M. Identification of catecholamine neurotransmitters using fluorescence sensor array. Anal Chim Acta 2016;917:85-92.
12. Vardini MT, Mardani L. Surface imprinting of silica gel by methyldopa and its application in the solid phase extraction procedure. J Braz Chem Soc 2018;29:310-9.
13. Kamino S, Mitani S, Asano M, Yamaguchi T, Fujita Y, Hoshino M. Spectrophotometric determination of titanium with o-carboxyphenyl fluorone in cationic micellar media, and its equilibrium and kinetic studies. Talanta 2011;85:2339-43.
14. Hoshino M, Kamino S, Mitani S, Asano M, Yamaguchi, T, Fujita Y. Spectrophotometric determination of quinolone antibiotics by an association complex formation with aluminum(III) and erythrosin. Anal Sci 2009;25:125-8.
15. Ramadan AZ, Mandil H, Alsayed-Ali R. Spectrophotometric determination of rosuvastatin in pure form and pharmaceutical formulations through ion-pair complex formation using bromocresol green. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:191-8.
16. Rahman H. Utilization of eosin dye as an ion pairing agent for determination of pharmaceuticals: A brief review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:1-9.
17. Rauf MA, Ikram M, Ahmad M. Spectrophotometric studies of ternary complexes of lead and bismuth with o-phenanthroline and eosin. Dyes Pigm 2002;52:183-9.
18. Belsare GW, Zade AB, Kalbende PP, Belsare PU. Spectrophotometric study of ternary complex forming systems of some rare earths with bromopyrogallol red in presence of cetyldimethyl ethylammonium bromide for micro determination. Pharm Chem 2012;4:1226-38.
19. Lavanya G, Sunil M, Eswarudu MM, Eswaraiah MC, Harisudha K, Spandana BN. Analytical method validation: An updated review. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2013;4:1280-6.
20. Upadhyay K, Asthana A, Tamrakar RK. Extractive spectrophotometric determination of ?-methyldopa in bulk dosage and in its formulations. Res Chem Intermed 2014;41:5521-8.
21. Venkatalakshmi N, Rajasekharan MV. EPR of the Co(II) complexes of phenanthraquinonedioxime and benzoquinonedioxime. Formation of dioxygen adducts in the solid state. J Chem Sci 1995;107:327-33.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.