HEMOGLOBIN LEVELS AFTER CONSUMING THE INITIAL PHASE OF ANTITUBERCULAR DRUGS
Objective: This study aims to determine the condition of the hemoglobin (Hb) level after the initial phase of antitubercular drug usage.
Methods: This research method used a descriptive survey design with the accidental sampling method. The sample of this study was 38 patients who met the inclusion criteria of the study. The sample was measured by Coulter Act-Diff Hematology Analyzer.
Results: This study shows the initial phase of antitubercular drugs (ATD) usage caused an abnormal hemoglobin level of 22 patients (58%) and 16 patients (42%) have a normal level. There are 12 (32%) male and 10 (26%) female patients have an abnormal level of Hb. The average of Hb level in tuberculosis (TB) patients is 12.42 (male) and 11.89 (female). This study also shows the correlation between body mass index with a Hb level of TB patient (p=0.001).
Conclusion: Hb levels in TB patients who consumed the initial phase of ATD were found to be mostly under normal.
2. Shaji J, Shaikh M. Drug-resistant tuberculosis : Recent approach in polymer based nanomedicine. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8: ???.
3. Dhanabal SP, Lall N, Pavithra N, Chaitanya MV. Natural products as an important leads for discovery of new antitubercular agents : A review. Indian J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:2-7.
4. Fauziah I, Siahaan GE. Kadar hemoglobin (Hb) penderita TB paru dalam masa terapi OAT (obat anti tuberkulosis) di puskesmas haji abdul halim hasan binjai. J Biol Lingkungan Ind Kesehat 2014;1:13-7.
5. The Paediatric Formulary Committee (PFC). BNF For Children. British National Formulary Publications, Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain. London: The Paediatric Formulary Committee (PFC); 2009.
6. Al-Omar IA, Al-Ashban RM, Shah AH. Hematological abnormalities in Saudis suffering from pulmonary tuberculosis and their reponce to the treatment. Res J Pharmacol 2009;3:78-85.
7. Verma R, Shrivastava MG, Pathak P. Adverse drug reactions associated with first-line anti-tubercular drugs in a tertiary care hospital of central India: A study of clinical presentations, causality, and severity. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2014;7:140-3.
8. Ulfi DN, Adang. Perbedaan kadar hemoglobin sebelum dan sesudah pemberian obat antituberkulosis fase awal. Univ Muhammadiyah Yogyakarta 2010 ;???:3-7.
9. Lasut NM, Rotty LW, Polii EB. Gambaran kadar hemoglobin dan trombosit pad penderita tuberkulosis paru di RSUP. DR. R. Kandou Manado. J E Clin 2014 ;???:1-6.
10. Lee SW, Kang YA, Yoon YS, Um SW, Lee SM, Yoo CG, et al. The prevalence and evolution of anemia associated with tuberculosis. J Korean Med Sci 2006;21:1028-32.
11. Supariasa ID, Bakri B, Fajar I. Penilaian Status Gizi. Jakarta: EGC; 2002. p. 48-9.
12. Thompson B. Food-Based Approaches for Combating Iron Deficiency, Nutritional Anemia. Basel: Sight and Life Press; 2007. p. 337.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.