ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EFFECTS OF CURCUMIN CONTRIBUTE INTO ATTENUATION OF ACUTE GENTAMICIN-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY IN RATS
Objectives: Nephrotoxicity is a renal-specific situation in which the excretion of toxic metabolites is reduced due to toxic agents and drugs. Gentamicin is an antibiotic belongs to aminoglycoside group which may induce nephrotoxicity due to induction of oxidative stress. Curcumin is a component of traditional medicine with significant nephroprotective effect. Therefore, the objective of the present study was to evaluate the nephroprotective effect of curcumin on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity.
Methods: A total of 30 male Sprague-Dawley rats were used which divided into Group 1 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water 5 ml/kg plus normal saline 5 ml/kg for 12 days, Group 2 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water 5 ml/kg plus gentamicin 100 mg/kg for 12 days, and Group 3 (n=10): Rats treated with curcumin 100 mg/kg plus gentamicin 100 mg/kg for 12 days. Blood urea, serum creatinine, malondialdehyde (MDA), kidney injury molecule (KIM-1), and cystatin-C were measured in both control and experimental groups.
Results: Rats treated with gentamicin showed nephrotoxicity as evident by significant elevation in blood urea, serum creatinine, KIM-1, MDA, and cystatin-C sera levels. Curcumin leads to significant reduction of blood urea and serum creatinine compared to gentamicin group, p<0.05. Curcumin also reduced MDA, KIM-1, and cystatin-C sera levels significantly compared to gentamicin group, p<0.01.
Conclusion: Curcumin produced significant nephroprotective effect on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity through modulation of oxidative stress and inflammatory biomarkers.
2. Virani SH, Bhatt SH, Saini MA, Saxena K. Aloe vera attenuates gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in Wistar albino rats: Histo-pathological and biochemical changes. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:113-7.
3. Aly HA, Hassan MH. Potential testicular toxicity of gentamicin in adult rats. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 2018;497:362-7.
4. Athira GK, Jyothi AN. Preparation and characterization of curcumin loaded cassava starch nanoparticles with improved cellular absorption. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:171-6.
5. Puneeth HR, Sharada AC. Antioxidant and hypoglycemic effects of curcumin pyrazole derivatives. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:244-9.
6. Singh AP, Junemann A, Muthuraman A, Jaggi AS, Singh N, Grover K, et al. Animal models of acute renal failure. Pharmacol Rep 2012;64:31-44.
7. Teslariu O, Pasca AS, Mititelu-Tartau L, Schiriac CE, Gales C, Saftencu PM, et al. The protective effects of zinc in experimental gentamicin induced acute renal failure in rats. J Physiol Pharmacol 2016;67:751-7.
8. Abd-Elhamid TH, Elgamal DA, Ali SS, Ali FE, Hassanein EH, El-Shoura EA, et al. Reno-protective effects of ursodeoxycholic acid against gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity through modulation of NF-?B, eNOS and caspase-3 expressions. Cell Tissue Res 2018;374:367-87.
9. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Potential effects of pomegranate on lipid peroxidation and pro-inflammatory changes in daunorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Int J Prev Med 2016;7:85.
10. Hajihashemi S, Hamidizad Z, Rahbari A, Ghanbari F, Motealeghi ZA. Effects of cobalamin (Vitamin B12) on gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rat. Drug Res (Stuttg) 2017;67:710-8.
11. Luo QH, Chen ML, Sun FJ, Chen ZL, Li MY, Zeng W, et al. KIM-1 and NGAL as biomarkers of nephrotoxicity induced by gentamicin in rats. Mol Cell Biochem 2014;397:53-60.
12. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI, Al-Maiahy TJ. Concept and connotation of oxidative stress in preeclampsia. J Lab Physicians 2018;10:276.
13. Trujillo J, Chirino YI, Molina-Jijón E, Andérica-Romero AC, Tapia E, Pedraza-Chaverrí J, et al. Renoprotective effect of the antioxidant curcumin: Recent findings. Redox Biol 2013;1:448-56.
14. Mercantepe F, Mercantepe T, Topcu A, Y?lmaz A, Tumkaya L. Protective effects of amifostine, curcumin, and melatonin against cisplatin-induced acute kidney injury. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 2018;391:915-31.
15. Kim KS, Lim HJ, Lim JS, Son JY, Lee J, Lee BM, et al. Curcumin ameliorates cadmium-induced nephrotoxicity in sprague-dawley rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2018;114:34-40.
16. Wu J, Pan X, Fu H, Zheng Y, Dai Y, Yin Y, et al. Effect of curcumin on glycerol-induced acute kidney injury in rats. Sci Rep 2017;7:10114.
17. Ali BH, Al-Salam S, Al Suleimani Y, Al Kalbani J, Al Bahlani S, Ashique M, et al. Curcumin ameliorates kidney function and oxidative stress in experimental chronic kidney disease. Basic Clin Pharmacol Toxicol 2018;122:65-73.
18. Topcu-Tarladacalisir Y, Sapmaz-Metin M, Karaca T. Curcumin counteracts cisplatin-induced nephrotoxicity by preventing renal tubular cell apoptosis. Ren Fail 2016;38:1741-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.