POMEGRANATE ATTENUATES ACUTE GENTAMICIN-INDUCED NEPHROTOXICITY IN SPRAGUE-DAWLEY RATS: THE POTENTIAL ANTIOXIDANT AND ANTI-INFLAMMATORY EFFECTS
Objectives: Nephrotoxicity is a renal-specific situation in which the excretion of toxic metabolites is reduced due to toxic agents and drugs. Gentamicin is an antibiotic belongs to aminoglycoside group which may induce nephrotoxicity due to induction of oxidative stress. Pomegranate is a component of the traditional medicine called Punica granatum with significant nephron-protective effect. Therefore, the objective of the present study was to evaluate the nephronprotective effect of pomegranate in gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity.
Methods: A total of 30 male Sprague-Dawley rats were used which divided into Group 1 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water 5 ml/kg plus normal saline 5 ml/kg for 12 days, Group 2 (n=10): Rats treated with distilled water 5 ml/kg plus gentamicin 100 mg/kg for 12 days, and Group 3 (n=10): Rats treated with pomegranate 100 mg/kg plus gentamicin 100 mg/kg for 12 days. Blood urea, serum creatinine, malondialdehyde (MDA), kidney injury molecule (KIM-1), and cystatin-C were measured in both control and experimental groups.
Results: Rats treated with gentamicin showed nephrotoxicity as evident by significant elevation in serum creatinine, blood urea, serum creatinine, KIM-1, MDA, and cystatin-C sera levels. Pomegranate leads to significant reduction of blood urea and serum creatinine compared to gentamicin group, p<0.05. Pomegranate also reduced MDA, KIM-1, and cystatin-C sera levels significantly compared to gentamicin group, p<0.01.
Conclusion: Pomegranate produced significant nephroprotective effect on gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity through modulation of oxidative stress and inflammatory biomarkers.
2. Virani SH, Bhatt SH, Saini MA, Saxena K. Aloe vera attenuates gentamicin-induced nephrotoxicity in Wistar albino rats: Histo-pathological and biochemical changes. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2016;9:113-7.
3. Moffett BS, Morris J, Galati M, Munoz FM, Arikan AA. Population pharmacokinetic analysis of gentamicin in pediatric extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. Ther Drug Monit 2018;40:581-8.
4. Geetha K, Ramarao N, Sindhu B, Rao VU. Nephroprotective, nephrocurative activity of Mimosa pudica root against gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:173-7.
5. Hamza RZ, Abdel-Azez AM, Hussien NA. Evaluation of the antioxidant potential for different extracts of Al-taif pomegranate (Punica granatum L.) induced by atrazine and malathion pesticides in liver of male albino mice. Int J Pharm Sci 2015;7:89-94.
6. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI, Al-Maiahy TJ. Concept and connotation of oxidative stress in preeclampsia. J Lab Physicians 2018;10:276.
7. Aviram M, Rosenblat M, Gaitini D, Nitecki S, Hoffman A, Dornfeld L, et al. Pomegranate juice consumption for 3 years by patients with carotid artery stenosis reduces common carotid intima-media thickness, blood pressure and LDL oxidation. Clin Nutr 2004;23:423-33.
8. Jeremy JY, Jones RA, Koupparis AJ, Hotston M, Angelini GD, Persad R, et al. Re: Oxidative stress in arteriogenic erectile dysfunction: Prophylactic role of antioxidants. J Urol 2006;175:1175-6.
9. Yang J, Zhang S, Henning SM, Lee R, Hsu M, Grojean E, et al. Cholesterol-lowering effects of dietary pomegranate extract and inulin in mice fed an obesogenic diet. J Nutr Biochem 2018;52:62-9.
10. Harrill AH, Lin H, Tobacyk J, Seely JC. Mouse population-based evaluation of urinary protein and miRNA biomarker performance associated with cisplatin renal injury. Exp Biol Med (Maywood) 2018;243:237-47.
11. Hajihashemi S, Hamidizad Z, Rahbari A, Ghanbari F, Motealeghi ZA. Effects of cobalamin (Vitamin B12) on gentamicin induced nephrotoxicity in rat. Drug Res (Stuttg) 2017;67:710-8.
12. Kuriakose J, Midhun SJ, Jyothis M, Latha MS. Protective effect of Rotula aquatica Lour against gentamicin induced oxidative stress and nephrotoxicity in Wistar rats. Biomed Pharmacother 2018;106:1188-94.
13. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Potential effects of pomegranate on lipid peroxidation and pro-inflammatory changes in daunorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity in rats. Int J Prev Med 2016;7:85.
14. Al-Kuraishy HM, Al-Gareeb AI. Eustress and malondialdehyde (MDA): Role of Panax ginseng: Randomized placebo controlled study. Iran J Psychiatry 2017;12:194-200.
15. Sadeghi F, Nematbakhsh M, Noori-Diziche A, Eshraghi-Jazi F, Talebi A, Nasri H, et al. Protective effect of pomegranate flower extract against gentamicin-induced renal toxicity in male rats. J Renal Inj Prev 2015;4:45-50.
16. Abdel Moneim AE, El-Khadragy MF. The potential effects of pomegranate (Punica granatum) juice on carbon tetrachloride-induced nephrotoxicity in rats. J Physiol Biochem 2013;69:359-70.
17. Zhang L, Yang X, Zhang Y, Wang L, Zhang R. In vitro antioxidant properties of different parts of pomegranate flowers. Food Bioprod Process 2011;89:234-40.
18. Jang A, Srinivasan P, Lee NY, Song HP, Lee JW, Lee M, et al. Comparison of hypolipidemic activity of synthetic gallic acid-linoleic acid ester with mixture of gallic acid and linoleic acid, gallic acid, and linoleic acid on high-fat diet induced obesity in C57BL/6 cr slc mice. Chem Biol Interact 2008;174:109-17.
19. Azarkish F, Nematbakhsh M, Fazilati M, Talebi A, Pilehvarian AA, Pezeshki Z, et al. N-acetylcysteine prevents kidney and lung disturbances in renal ischemia/reperfusion injury in rat. Int J Prev Med 2013;4:1139-46.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.