DESIGN AND IN VITRO CHARACTERIZATION OF FLOATING TABLETS OF METRONIDAZOLE
Objective: The objective of the present study was to formulate the effervescent floating matrix tablet of metronidazole and to evaluate the effect of varying concentrations of hydrophilic polymers on drug release.
Methods: Drug excipients interaction was studied by Fourier transform infrared spectrophotometer. The effervescent floating matrix tablets were prepared by direct compression technique using hydroxypropyl methylcellulose (HPMCK4) and xanthan gum alone and in combination as release retardants. Microcrystalline cellulose was used as diluent. Sodium bicarbonate was used as effervescent agent. The prepared matrix tablets were evaluated for their physicochemical parameters such as weight variation, hardness, friability, content uniformity, buoyancy time, and in vitro dissolution.
Results: Micromeritic properties and post-compression parameters were evaluated and all the parameters were found within the acceptable limit. The drug release data were subjected to different models to evaluate release kinetics and mechanism of drug release. The matrix tablets prepared with xanthan gum and a mixture of xanthan gum and HPMCK4 were retarded the drug release up to 12 h. The release mechanism of metronidazole was evaluated on the basis of release exponent n value in Peppas model. The n value of the formulations ranged from 0.46 to 0.89 which indicated Case II transport and zero-order release.
Conclusion: Floating matrix tablet is the simple, efficient, and economic method to sustain the release of metronidazole to eradicate Helicobacter pylori in peptic ulcer disease.
2. Pawar VK, Kansal S, Garg G, Awasthi R, Singodia D, Kulkarni GT, et al. Gastroretentive dosage forms: A review with special emphasis on floating drug delivery systems. Drug Deliv 2011;18:97-110.
3. Arora S, Ali J, Ahuja A, Khar RK, Baboota S. Floating drug delivery systems: A review. AAPS PharmSciTech 2005;6:E372-90.
4. Asnaashari S, Khoei NS, Zarrintan MH, Adibkia K, Javadzadeh Y. Preparation and evaluation of novel metronidazole sustained release and floating matrix tablets. Pharm Dev Technol 2011;16:400-7.
5. William DC, Grigorios IL, Colin WH, Steven FM. ACG clinical guideline: Treatment of Helicobacter pyroli infection. Am J Gastroenterl 2017;112:212-38.
6. Loh ZC, Elkordy AA. Formulation and evaluation of different floating tablets containing metronidazole to target stomach. Curr Drug Deliv 2015;12:425-43.
7. Sakonjan T, Satit P, Tasana P, Srisagul S. Development of curcumin floating tablets based on low density foam powder. Asian J Pharm Sci 2016;2:130-1.
8. Amritha V, Suriner K, Krishnahari P. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of floating tablets of HPMCK4M and carbapol-934P using metronidazole as a model drug. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:2244-9.
9. Harshal S, Chetan G, Surbhi U, Sujit P. Development and in vitro evaluation of an oral floating tablet of metfronidazole. J Drug Deliv Ther 2018;8:83-6.
10. Denise FS. Xanthan gum: A versatile biopolymer for biomedical and technological applications. J Appl Polym Sci 2015;132:42035-48.
11. Atif A, Iqbal M, Naveed A, Haji MS, Aftab U, Minahaj U, et al. Assessment of xanthan gum based sustained release matrix tablets containing highly water soluble propranolol HCL. Acta Pol Pharm Drug Res 2013;70:283-9.
12. Jaya S, Chowdary KP, Rajeswararao P. Enhancement of dissolution rate and formulation development of ritonavir tablets by solid dispersion technology. Int J Pharm Ther 2013;4:51-8.
13. Aulton ME. Aulton’s Pharmaceutics. The Design and Manufacture of Medicines. 4th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 2013. p. 187-98.
14. Jaya S, Amala V. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of oral disintegrating tablets of amlodipine besylate. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:49-54.
15. Jaya S, Chowdary KP, Rajeswararao P. Effect of superdisintegrants and solubilizers on the dissolution rate and dissolution efficiency of ritonavir tablets. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2012;2:224-9.
16. Mahendar G, Jaya S. Formulation and evaluation of floating tablets of salbutamol sulphate. Int Res J Pharm Appl Sci 2012;2:97-109.
17. Rabi NP, Susanta KP, Prabhakar RV. Formulation and in vitro evaluation of combined floating-bioadhesive tablets of imatinib mesylate. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:27-33.
18. Laila HE, Aya RA, Ahmed A, Ashmawy E, Nadia MM. Preparation and evaluation of metronidazole sustained release floating tablets. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:198-204.
19. Jaya S, Srilaxmi G. Formulation and in-vitro characterization of ambroxol hydrochlotide sustained release matrix tablets. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2019;10:1000-6.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.