PHYTOCHEMICAL AND PHYSICOCHEMICAL ANALYSIS OF MICROWAVE-ASSISTED EXTRACTION CORIANDRUM SATIVUM L. LEAVES AND ITS BIOLOGICAL EVALUATION
Objective: The main objective of the present work is to carry out the phytochemical constituent present and physicochemical analysis of microwave-assisted extract (MAE) of Coriandrum sativum leaves and to investigate its antibacterial activity.
Methods: The powdered samples of the leaves were extracted and analyzed for physicochemical properties. Extraction was carried out for C. sativum using different solvents and used for phytochemical investigation. Infrared (IR) spectrum and antibacterial activity of MAE were carried out.
Results: The results show that the percentage extract is different in the different solvents and also differs in phytochemical constituents. Phytochemicals present in the MAE also confirmed by IR spectroscopy. MAE is active against bacteria.
Conclusion: The phytochemicals present in C. sativum is confirmed by IR spectrum and these phytochemicals responsible for antibacterial activity.
2. Sekar DK, Kumar G, Karthik L, Rao KV. A review on pharmacological and phytochemical properties of Aegle marmelos (L) Corr. Serr (Rutacceae). Asian J Plant Sci Res 2011;1:8-17.
3. Mahesh B, Satish S. Antimicrobial activity of some important medicinal plant against plant and human pathogen. World J Agric Sci 2008;4:839-43.
4. Iqbal PJ. Phytochemical screening of certain plant species of Agra city. J Drug Deliv Ther 2012;2:135-8.
5. Makhija IK, Sharma IP, Khamar D. Phytochemical and pharmacologiacal properties of Ficus religiosa an overview. Ann Biol Res 2010;1:171-80.
6. Dhobi M, Mandal V, Hemaltha S. Optimization of microwave assisted extraction of bioactive flavonolignan silybinin. J Chem Metrol 2009;3:13-29.
7. Ayfer D, Erdogrul OT. Antimicrobial activities of various medicinal and commercial plant extracts. Turk J Biol 2003;27:157-62.
8. Deepa B, Anuradha CV. Antioxidant potential of Coriandrum sativam L. seed extract. Indian J Exp Biol 2011;49:30-8.
9. Anwar F, Sulman M, Hussain AI, Saari N, Iqbal S, Rashid U. Physicochemical composition of hydro-distilled essential oil from coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) seeds sultivated in Pakistan. J Med Plants Res 2011;5:3537-44.
10. Guler T, Ertas ON, Ciftci M, Dalkilic B. The effect of coriander seed (Coriandrum sativum L.) as diet ingredient on the performance of Japanese quil. South Afr J Anim Sci 2005;35:4.
11. de Almeida Melo E, Filho JM, Guerra NB. Characterization of antioxidant compounds in aqueous coriander extract (Coriandrum sativum L.). Lebensm Wiss. U Technology 2005;38:15-9.
12. de Almeida Melo E, Bion FM, Filho JM, Guerra NB. In vivo antioxidant effect of aqueous and etheric coriander (Coriandrum sativum L.) extracts. Eur J Lipid Sci Technol 2003;105:483-7.
13. Darughe F, Barzegar M, Sahari M. Antioxidant and antifungal activity of Coriander (Coriandrum sativam L.) Essential oil in cake. Int Food Res J 2012;19:1253-60.
14. Sonika G, Manubala R, Deepak J. Comparative studies on anti-inflammatory activity of Coriandrum sativum, Datura stramonium and Azadirachta indica. Asian J Exp Biol Sci 2010;1:151-4.
15. Pathan AR, Kothawade KA, Logade MN. Anxiolytic and analgesic effect of seeds of Coriandrum sativum Linn. Int J Res Pharm Chem 2011;1:1087-99.
16. Gomez-Flores R, Hernandez-Martinez H, Tamez-Guerra P, Tamez- Guerra R, Quintanilla-Licea R. Antitumor and immunomodulating potential of Coriandrum sativum, Piper nigrum and Cinnamomum zeylanicum. J Nat Prod 2010;3:54-63.
17. Gray AM, Flatt PR. Insulin-releasing and insulin-like activity of the traditional anti-diabetic plant Coriandrum sativum (coriander). Br J Nutr 1999;81:203-9.
18. Fatema S, Farooqui M, Jadhav S, Arif PM. Phytochemical and physicochemical analysis of conventional and microwave assisted extraction of Vitex negundo Linn leaves. Indo Am J Pharm Sci 2018;5:6057-65.
19. Basa’ar O, Fatema S, Alrabie A, Farooqui M. Supercritical fluid extraction of Cichorium intybus (L) and it’s characterization. J Chem Pharm Sci 2016;9:2936-44.
20. Fatema S, Basa’ar O, Farooqui M, Arif PM. Phytochemical and physicochemical properties of Hibiscus rosa-sinensis leaves extract: A comparison between conventional and microwave assisted extraction. Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci 2018;5:551-9.
21. Marion BY, Ramsay DA, Jones RN. The infrared absorption spectra of alkaloids. J Am Chem Soc 1951;73:305-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.