IN VITRO EVALUATION OF HYPOLIPIDEMIC EFFECT OF EXTRACTS OF MEDICINAL DRACAENA CINNABARI BALF. F. RESIN
In vitro evaluation of hypolipidemic effect
Objective: The objective of the study was to in vitro evaluate of hypolipidemic effect of extracts of medicinal Dracaena cinnabari Balf. f. resin.
Methods: About 800 g of dry powder of the resin of dracaena cinnabar was taken in a Soxhlet apparatus and subjected for sequential extraction of solvents from non-polar to polar end (hexane, benzene, diethyl ether, dichloromethane, chloroform, ethyl acetate, acetone, ethanol, methanol, and water); the extract samples were kept at 4°C for further assays. All the extracts were subjected to glucose uptake assay.
Results: The ethanol extract showed significant (p<0.05) hypolipidemic effect by decreasing the activity of enzyme such as significant reduction in the pancreatic lipase enzyme, malic dehydrogenase enzyme, and glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase enzyme with IC50~13, ~13, and ~14, respectively. This results were similar to the standard drug atorvastatin with IC50~12, ~16, and ~17, respectively. Ethanol extract exhibited significant atherogenic index and percentage protection against hyperlipidemia. The potential biological activity of ethanol extract may be attributed to the highest polarity which needs further investigation.
2. Subashini S, Kripa Kg, Pugalendi Kv. Hypolipidemic potential of methanolic extract of Gracilaria corticata on streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2017;10:402-5.
3. Libby P, Ridker PM, Maseri A. Inflammation and atherosclerosis. Circulation 2002;105:1135-43.
4. Randomised trial of cholesterol lowering in 4444 patients with coronary heart disease: The scandinavian simvastatin survival study (4S). Lancet 1994;344:1383-9.
5. Patwardhan B, Vaidya AD, Chorghade M. Ayurveda and natural products drug discovery. Curr Sci 2004;86:789-99.
6. Mohammed YH, Khanum SA. Anti-diabetic activity of Dracaen cinnabari Balf.f extracts from resin in Socotra Island-Yemen. J Plant Biochem Physiol 2016;4:162.
7. Mohammed YH. In vitro anti-cancer activity of extracts Dracaen cinnabari Balf.f resin from Socotra Island in Yemen republic. Biochem Anal Biochem 2016;5:296.
8. Su J, Wang H, Ma C, Liu C, Rahman MT, Gao C, et al. Hypolipidemic mechanism of gypenosides via inhibition of pancreatic lipase and reduction in cholesterol micellar solubility. Eur Food Res Technol 2016;242:305-12.
9. Puneeth HR, Ananda H, Kumar KS, Rangappa KS, Sharada AC. Synthesis and antiproliferative studies of curcumin pyrazole derivatives. Med Chem Res 2016;25:1842-51.
10. Xu Y, Osborne BW, Stanton RC. Diabetes causes inhibition of Glucose- 6-phosphate dehydrogenase via activation of PKA, which contributes to oxidative stress in rat kidney cortex. Am J Physiol Renal Physiol 2005;289:F1040-7.
11. Roobol A, Alleyne GA. Astudy of stabilization of gluconeogenic activity in rat liver slices by calcium and manganese ions. Biochem J 1972;129:231-9.
12. Kong C, Nimmo L, Elatrozy T, Anyaoku V, Hughes C, Robinson S, et al. Smoking is associated with increased hepatic lipase activity insulin resistance dyslipidaemia and early atherosclerosis in Type 2 diabetes. Atherosclerosis 2001;156:373-8.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.