HEPATOPROTECTIVE EFFECT OF PERILLYL ALCOHOL (POH) ON HIGH-FAT DIET-LOW-DOSE STREPTOZOTOCIN-INDUCED TYPE 2 DIABETES IN EXPERIMENTAL RATS
Objective: The aim of the present study was to investigate the hepatoprotectivity effect of perillyl alcohol in high-fat diet (HFD)-low-dose streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats.
Methods: Diabetes was induced in male albino Wistar rats by 4 weeks diet manipulation followed by a low single intraperitoneal injection of STZ (35 mg/kg body weight). Perillyl alcohol was administered orally (50 mg/kg body weight and 100 mg/kg body weight) for 30 days. Glibenclamide was used as a standard drug and given orally 6 mg/kg body weight. At the end of treatment period, levels of alkaline phosphatase (ALP), aspartate transaminase (AST) alanine transaminase (ALT), and bilirubin and serum protein were measured in serum of experimental rats. Histopathological studies of liver were also done with microscope.
Results: The levels of ALP, AST ALT, and bilirubin were increased significantly in HFD-STZ-induced diabetic rats. Perillyl alcohol-treated diabetic rats showed marked restoration in the activity of ALP, AST, ALT, and bilirubin when compared with diabetic control rats. Perillyl alcohol and glibenclamide drug-treated rats showed reversible tissue regeneration with prominent hepatocytes.
Conclusion: The present results clearly indicate that the perillyl alcohol has a potent efficacy for hepatoprotective effect in HFD- low-dose STZ-induced diabetic rats.
2. Matsui T, Tanaka T, Tamura S, Toshima A, Tamaya K, Miyata Y, et al. Alpha-glucosidase inhibitory profile of catechins and theaflavins. J Agric Food Chem 2007;55:99-105.
3. Liu H, Liu X, Jia L, Liu Y, Yang H, Wang G, et al. Insulin therapy restores impaired function and expression of P-glycoprotein in blood-brain barrier of experimental diabetes. Biochem Pharmacol 2008;75:1649-1658.
4. Dewanfee S, Das AK, Sahu R, Gangopadhyay M. Antidiabetic activity of diaspyros pregrim fruit effect on hyperglycemia, hyperlipidemia and augmented oxidative stress in experimental Types 2 diabetes. Food Chem Toxicol 2004;47:2679-2685.
5. Latha M, Pari L. Effect of an aqueous extract of Scoparia dulcis on blood glucose, plasma insulin and some polyol pathway enzymes in experimental rat diabetes. Braz J Med Biol Res 2004;37:577-586.
6. Lavoie JM, Bergeron R, Latour MG. Regulatory impact of intra-hepatic carbohydrate and lipid metabolism. Can J Appl Physiol 2005;30:282-291.
7. Sabu MC, Kuttan R. Anti-diabetic activity of medicinal plants and its relationship with their antioxidant property. J Ethnopharmacol 2002;81:155-160.
8. Arafat M, Salam A, Arafat O. The association of Type 2 diabetes with obesity and other factors: In multinational community. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:257-260.
9. Noor SA, Gunasekaran A, Manickam S, Vijayalakshmi VA. Anti diabetic activity of Aloe vera and histology of organs in streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Curr Sci 2008;94:1070-1075.
10. Rates SM. Plants as source of drugs. Toxicon 2001;39:603-13.
11. Belanger JT. Perillyl alcohol: Applications in oncology. Altern Med Rev 1998;3:448-457.
12. Ansari MA, Fatima Z, Hameed S. Anticandidal effect and mechanisms of monoterpenoid, perillyl alcohol against Candida albicans. PLoS One 2016;11:e0162465.
13. Bailey HH, Attia S, Love RR, Fass T, Chappell R, Tutsch K, et al. Phase II trial of daily oral perillyl alcohol (NSC 641066) in treatment-refractory metastatic breast cancer. Cancer Chemother Pharmacol 2008;62:149-157.
14. Magdalena JS, Flaczyk E, Jeszka J, Krejpcio Z, Król E, Buchowski MS. Mulberry leaf extract intake reduces hyperglycaemia in streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetic rats fed high-fat diet. J Funct Foods 2014;8:9-17.
15. Veerapur VP, Prabhakar KR, Kandadi MR, Srinivasan KK, Unnikrishnan MK. Antidiabetic effect of Dodonaea viscosa aerial parts in high fat diet and low dose streptozotocin-induced Type 2 diabetic rats: A mechanistic approach. Pharm Biol 2010;48:1137-1148.
16. Luna LG. Manual of Histologic Staining Methods of the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology. 3rd ed. New York: Blakiston Division, McGraw-Hill; 1968.
17. Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ. Protein measurement with the folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 1951;193:265-275.
18. Malloy HT, Evelyn KA. The determination of bilirubin with the photoelectric colorimeter. J Biol Chem 1937;119:481.
19. King KJ, Armstrong AL. Calcium, phosphorus and phosphatase. In: Varley H, editor. Practical Clinical Bio Chemistry. 4th ed. New Delhi: CBS Publishers; 1988.
20. Panchal I, Sen DJ, Navle A, Shah U. Structure-based drug designing, scoring, and synthesis of some substituted sulphonylureas/guanidine-based derivatives as hypoglycemic agents. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:226-232.
21. Hassan T, Elanchezhiyan C, Naseer I, Veerakumar D. Protective effect of perillyl alcohol (POH) a monoterpene: On high fat diet induced hyperlipidemia in albino Wistar rats a preliminary study. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2019;10:1000-1004.
22. Reitman S, Frankel S. A colorimetric method for the determination of serum glutamic oxalacetic and glutamic pyruvic transaminases. Am J Clin Pathol 1957;28:56-63.
23. Segen JC. Liver function tests. In: Concise Dictionary of Modern Medicine. New York: MC Graw-Hill Companies; 2002.
24. Bandyopadhyay P. Advances in the understanding of diabetes mellitus. Drug News Perspect 2004;17:477-487.
25. Papaccio G, Pisanti FA, Latronico MV, Ammendola E, Galdieri M. Multiple low-dose and single high-dose treatments with streptozotocin do not generate nitric oxide. J Cell Biochem 2000;77:82-91.
26. Anderson T, Schein PS, McMenamin MG, Cooney DA. Streptozotocin diabetes correlation with extent of depression of pancreatic islet nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide. J Clin Invest 1974;52:672-677.
27. Szkudelski T. The mechanism of alloxan and streptozotocin action in B cells of the rat pancreas. Physiol Res 2001;50:537-546.
28. Alarcon-Aguilara FJ, Roman-Ramos R, Perez-Gutierrez S, Aguilar-Contreras A, Contreras-Weber CC, Flores-Saenz JL, et al. Study of the anti-hyperglycemic effect of plants used as antidiabetics. J Ethnopharmacol 1998;61:101-110.
29. Saputri FC, Astari C, Janatry DA, Azizahwati A, Kusmana D. Hepatoprotective effect of Bellamya javanica: Aspartate transaminase, alanine aminotransferase, and alkaline phosphatase activity, and liver histopathology in mice induced with carbon tetrachloride. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:203-207.
30. Grover JK, Vats V, Yadav S. Effect of feeding aqueous extract of Pterocarpus marsupium on glycogen content of tissues and the key enzymes of carbohydrate metabolism. Mol Cell Biochem 2002;241:53-59.
31. Srividya G, Adilaxmamma K, Srilatha CH. Protective effect of Acorus calamus rhizome in paracetamol exposure induced hepatotoxicity in rats: Biochemical and histopathological study. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:7-10.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.