TO STUDY THE IN VITRO INHIBITION OF BLOOD PLATELET AGGREGATION BY ISOLATED COMPOUNDS FROM CLAUSENA DENTATA (WILLD.) ROEM.
Objectives: To study the anti- platelet aggregation activity of compounds isolated from extracts of Clausena dentata .Clausena (Rutaceae) is a genus of about 23 species of unarmed trees and shrubs. The stem bark of Clausena dentata is used in veterinary medicine for the treatment of wounds and sprains.Eventhough C. dentata has a lot of potential medical uses, the study of pharmacological properties is very scarce. Methods: The plant C.dentata was collected in from Kadagaman, near Tiruvannamalai, Tamil Nadu, India and authenticated by Centre for Advanced Study in Botany, University of Madras, Chennai. The dry powder of stem bark was extracted with hexane, chloroform and methanol. The extracts were subjected to qualitative phytochemical screening and column chromatography. Four compounds were isolated. All the isolated compounds were subjected to Adenosine diphosphate (ADP) induced platelet aggregation and compared with Aspirin. Result.The isolated compounds from C. dentata and standard aspirin showed significant antiplatelet activity against ADP induced platelet aggregation. Conclusion The compounds, 3-(1,1-dimethylallyl) xanthyletin , dentatin , nordentatin and carbazole showed significant antiplatelet aggregation activity. Among the compounds, nordentatin showed more activity of antiplatelet aggregation.
Key Words: C. Dentata, Coumarin, dentatin, ADP, Aspirin, platelet
1. Chopra, R.N., S.L. Nayar and I.C. Chopra. 1956. Glossary of Indian Medicinal plants. C. S. I. R., New Delhi, India. 246 p.
2. Kirtikar, K.R., B.D. Basu and B. Singh. 1980. Indian Medicinal Plants, M/s. BighensingMahendraPalsingh Publishers, Dehradun, India. 2793 p.
3. SubbaRao G.S.R., K. SrinivasaRao and B. Ravindranath, 1976. Structure of diclausenan A and B. Tetrahedron Letters13: 1019 1020.
4. Bruneton, J. 1999. Pharmacognosy, phytochemistry, medicinal plants, 2nd Ed. Intercept Ltd., Hampshire, UK. 277 p.
5. Keating, G.J. and R.O'kennedy. 1997. The chemistry and occurrence of coumarins In: O'kennedy & Thrones, U.S.A. 66 p.
6. O' Kennedy, R. and Thrones 1997. Coumarins biology, applications and mode of action, John Wiley & Sons Ltd., Chickester, U.K. 270 p.
7. Hoult, J.R.S. and M. Paya. 1996. Pharmacological and biochemical actions of simple coumarins natural products with therapeutic potential. Gen. Pharmacol. 27 : 713 722.
8. Cooke, D., B. Fitzpatrick, R. O'Kennedy, T. Mccormack and D. Egan. 1997. Coumarins multifaceted molecules with many analytical and other applications O'Kennedy & Thornes, U.S.A. pp.303 332.
9. Egan, D., R. O'Kennedy, E. Moran, D. Cox, E. Prosser and D. Thrones. 1990. The pharmacology, metabolism, analysis and applications of coumarins and coumarin related compounds. Drug metabolism Rev. 22 : 503 529.
10. Prentice, C.R.M. 1999. Platelets and atherosclerosis. European Heart J. Supplements, 1 : A3 - A7
11. Meade, T.W., M.V. Vickers, S.G. Thomson, Y. Stirling, A.P. Haines and G.J. Miller, 1985. Epidemiological characteristics of platelet aggregability. Br. Med. J. 290 : 428 432.
12. Anti-platelet Trialists Collaboration. 1994. Collaborative overview of randomized trials of anti-platelet therapy I : Prevention of death, myocardial infarction and stroke by prolonged antiplatelet therapy in various categories of patients. Br. Med.J. 308 : 81 106.
13. Hashizume, T., M. Taniguchi, T. Sato, T. Fujii. 1994. Arachidonic acid liberation induced by phosphatictdic acid endogenously generated from membrane phospholipids in rabbit platelets. Biochem. Biophys. Acta. 1221 : 179 184.
14. Cimmniello, C. and Toschi. 1999. Atherothrombosis the role of platelets. European Heart J. Supplements. 1 : A8-A13
15. Patrono, C. 1994. Drug therapy: Asprin as an antiplatelet drug. N. Eng. J. Med. 330 : 1287 1294.
16. Wu, T.S., S.C. Huang, J. S. Lal, C.M. Teng, F.N. Ko and C.S. Kuoh. 1993. Chemical and antiplatelet aggregative investigation of the leaves of Clausena excavata. Phytochemistry 32 : 449 451.
17. Harborne, J.B. 1988. Phytochemical methods: A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. Chapman and Hall Publishers, London. 278 p.
18. Harborne, J.B. 1998. Phytochemical methods: A guide to modern techniques of plant analysis. Chapman and Hall Publishers, London. 293 p.
19. Subramaniam, A. and M.N. Sathyanarayana. 1989. Influence of certain dietary plant constituents on platelet aggregation. J. Food Safety 9 : 201-214.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.