EVALUATION OF ANTIPYRETIC AND ANTIULCER ACTIVITY OF ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF LEAVES OF ALSTONIA SCHOLARIS L. IN ALBINO WISTAR RATS
Objective: The purpose of the present study was aimed at evaluating the antipyretic and antiulcer activity on leaves of Alstonia scholaris L. (Family Apocynaceae) on albino Wistar rats. The antipyretic and antiulcer activity of the ethanolic extract of the A. scholaris L. leaves in three different concentrations (50, 100, and 200 mg/kg) were compared with standard paracetamol and pantoprazole, which was evaluated by employing brewer’s yeast-induced pyrexia and ethanol-induced ulcer model. The biochemical parameters such as the volume of gastric juice secretion, pH, total acidity, ulcer index, percentage protection, and lipid peroxidation (LPO) were also studied.
Methods: A. scholaris leaves were extracted with ethanol by Soxhlet extraction method. The dried extract was used for further phytochemical and pharmacological analysis. The antipyretic effect was studied using brewer’s yeast-induced pyrexia. The ethanol-induced ulcer model was used to study the antiulcer effect.
Results: The percentage yield of ethanolic extract of A. scholaris leaves was 15.81%w/w, respectively. The extract showed significant antipyretic and antiulcer effects when compared with standard paracetamol and pantoprazole.
Conclusion: The ethanolic extract of A. scholaris has significant antipyretic and antiulcer activity.
2. Pandey D, Joshi A, Hemalatha S. Anti-ulcer study of standardized ethanol root extract of Aganosma dichotoma and isolated ursolic acid. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:172.
3. Mahurkar N, Ul Hasan SM, Malpani AA, Chetan M. Influence of single and multiple dose regimen of melatonin, rabeprazole and their combination in gastroprotection in pylorus ligated albino rats. Res J Pharm Tech 2013;6:562-8.
4. Harbison S, Dempsey D. Peptic ulcer disease. Curr Prob Surg 2005;42:346-454.
5. Singh J, Gowda KP, Badami S, Akuskar R, Tukuru N. Scrutinizing the fresh juice of leaves of Pedalium murex for the antiulcer activity in rats. Res J Pharm Tech 2009;2:191-4.
6. Gustafson J, Welling D. “No acid, no ulcer”--100 years later: A review of the history of peptic ulcer disease. J Am Coll Surg 2010;210:110-6.
7. Rai U, Pattnaik AK, Singh S. Antiulcer activity of the most active sub-fraction of methanolic leaf extract of Buchanania lanzan Spreng. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:93-101.
8. Pankti K, Payal G, Manodeep C, Jagadish K. A phytopharmacological review of Alstonia scholaris: A panoramic herbal medicine. Int J Res Ayurveda Pharm 2012;3:367-71.
9. Arulmozhi S, Mazumder PM, Lohidasan S, Ashok P. Anti arthritic and antioxidant activity of leaves of Alstonia scholaris L.R. Br. Eur J Intigrat Med 2011;3:e83-90.
10. Quazi JA. Evaluation of possible anticonvulsant effect of Alstonia scholaris (Linn.) R. Br. Extract on epilepsy models. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2015;8:207-9.
11. Kachhawa JB, Sharma N, Tyagi S, Gupta RS, Sharma KK. Antibacterial activity of Alstonia scholaris: An in vitro study. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2012;12:40-1.
12. Arulmozhi S, Mazumder PM, Lohidasan S, Thakurdesai P. Anti dibetic and antihyperlipidemic activity of leaves of Alstonia scholaris L.R. Br. Eur J Intigrat Med 2010;2:23-32.
13. Subraya CK, Harikiran, Gupta D. Antioxidant and anti-inflammatory activity of Alstonia scholaris R.Br. stem bark extract. Free Radic Antioxid 2012;2:55-7.
14. Arulmozhi S, Mazumder PM, Narayanan LS, Thakurdesai PA. In vitro antioxidant and free radical scavenging activity of fractions from Alstonia scholaris Linn. R. Br Int J PharmTech Res 2010;2:18-25.
15. Dhruti M, Bhavika P, Meonis P. Studies on phytochemical constituents and antioxidant activity of Alstonia scholaris. Int J Life Sci 2016;4:529-38.
16. Madan H, Gogia S, Sharma S. Antimicrobial and spermicidal activities of Parthenium hysterophorus Linn. And Alstonia scholaris Linn. Indian J Nat Prod Resourc 2011;2:458-63.
17. Singh H, Arora R, Arora S, Singh B. Ameliorative potential of Alstonia scholaris (Linn.) R. Br. Against chronic constriction injury-induced neuropathic pain in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med 2017;17:63.
18. Channa S, Dar A, Ahmed S, Atta-ur-Rahman. Evaluation of Alstonia scholaris leaves for broncho-vasodilatory activity. J Ethnopharmacol 2005;97:469-76.
19. Lin SC, Lin CC, Lin YH, Supriyatna S, Pan SL. The protective effect of Alstonia scholaris R. Br. On hepatotoxin-induced acute liver damage. Am J Chin Med 1996;24:153-64.
20. Khandelwal K. Practical Pharmacognosy. Maharashtra: Nirali Prakashan; 2008.
21. Jash R, Chowdary KA. Ethanolic extracts of alstonia scholaris and bacopa monniera possess neuroleptic activity due to anti-dopaminergic effect. Pharmacognosy Res 2014;6:46-51.
22. Hossain E, Mandal SC, Gupta JK. Phytochemical screening and in-vivo antipyretic activity of the methanol leaf-extract of Bombax malabaricum DC (Bombacaceae). Trop J Pharm Res 2011;10:55-60.
23. Akapa TC, Kehinde AO, Beatrice OO, Joseph O. Antipyretic activity of Abutilon mauritianum (Jacq.) roots in Wistar rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:42-6.
24. Dewan S, Suresh K, Kumar VL. Antipyretic effect of latex of Calotropis procera. Indian J Pharmacol 2000;32:252.
25. Loux JJ, DePalma PD, Yankell SL. Antipyretic testing of aspirin in rats. Toxicol Appl Pharmacol 1972;22:672-5.
26. Sathish R, Kumar PS, Natarajan K, Sridhar N. Hepatoprotective and anti pyretic activities of methanolic extract of Butea monosperma Lam stem bark in Wister rats. Asian J Pharm Res 2011;1:130-3.
27. Valli G, Vijayalakshmi R, Vasanthi A, ThangaThirupathi A. Studies of antipyretic and anti-inflammatory activities of odina woodier leaves extracts. Res J Pharmacol Pharmacodyn 2011;3:263-7.
28. Patil SB, Chavan GM, Ghodke DS, Naikwade NS, Magdum CS. Screening of some indigenous plants for their antipyretic activity. Res J Pharmacol Pharmacodyn 2009;1:143-4.
29. Kaur M, Singh A, Kumar B. Comparative antidiarrheal and antiulcer effect of the aqueous and ethanolic stem bark extracts of Tinospora cordifolia in rats. J Adv Pharm Technol Res 2014;5:122-8.
30. Parsons ME. Pantoprazole, a new proton-pump inhibitor, has a precise and predictable profile of activity. Eur J Gastroenterol Hepatol 1996;8 Suppl 1:S15-20.
31. Shin JM, Sachs G. Pharmacology of proton pump inhibitors. Curr Gastroenterol Rep 2008;10:528-34.
32. Oates PJ, Hakkinen JP. Studies on the mechanism of ethanol-induced gastric damage in rats. Gastroenterology 1988;94:10-21.
33. Rathnakumar K, Jaikumar S, Sengottuvelu S. Antiulcer activity of Euphorbia hirta against experimentally induced ulcer in rats. Asian J Pharm Res 2013;3:122-4.
34. Girish C, Vineela S, NarasimhaReddy Y, Reddy OV, Rajasekhar KK, Shankarananth V. Evaluation of antiulcer activity of Coccinia grandis leaves. Res J Pharmacol Pharmacodyn 2011;3:92-5.
35. Kumar V, Bhat Z, Kumar D, Khan N, Chashoo I, Ara I. Gastroprotective effect of leafextracts of Basella alba var. Alba against experimental gastric ulcers in rats. Rev Bras Farmacogn 2012;22:657-62.
36. Divakar M, Devi S. Antiulcer activity of Wrightia tinctoria (Roxb.) R. Br. Der Pharm Sin 2018;2:355-60.
37. Ganguly AK, Bhatnagar OP. Effect of bilateral adrenalectomy on production of restraint ulcers in the stomach of albino rats. Can J Physiol Pharmacol 1973;51:748-50.
38. Malairajan P, Gopalakrishnan G, Narasimhan S, Veni KJ, Kavimani S. Anti-ulcer activity of crude alcoholic extract of Toona ciliata Roemer (heart wood). J Ethnopharmacol 2007;110:348-51.
39. Rathod S, Motghare V, Deshmukh V. Study of antiulcer activity of angiotensin receptor antagonists in experimentally induced gastric ulcers in rats. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:502-7.
40. DharmaSwathi KV, Prasad G. Antioxidant and antiulcer potential of ethanolic extract of bark of Myrica esculenta in pyloric ligation ulcer model. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:195-8.
41. Ghaisas MM, Sharma S, Ganu GP, Limaye RP. Antiulcer activity of Colebrookea oppositifolia Sm. Res J Pharmacol Pharmacodyn 2010;2:66-70.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.