EFFECT OF ADVERTISED POLYHERBAL (AYURVEDIC) APHRODISIAC FORMULATIONS ON POTENT MALE ALBINO RATS
Objective: The objective of the study was to study aphrodisiac activity of polyherbals on albino Wistar rats.
Methods: Play Win and Ayurex are examples of the already marketed polyherbal formulations (PHFs), which are used in this study to determine their mating behavior and mating performance test activities in albino Wistar rats.
Results: Both the test drugs Play Win and Ayurex created noteworthy increase in the mounting behavior of animals. It was also observed that mounting behavior activity (number of mounts) in Play Win, in the 1st h and the 3rd h, was greater than Ayurex. Administration of suspension of a single dose of Play Win, Ayurex, and sildenafil citrate concluded in the increase in the mating performance of the rats. The result of Play Win was found to be less than that of Ayurex and nearly the same as that of sildenafil citrate.
Conclusion: From the research of the above-mentioned formulations with comparison to the standard drug (sildenafil), it is concluded that the PHFs are capable of producing aphrodisiac activity.
2. Jayusman PA, Mohamed IN, Thu HE, Shuid AN. Effect of Eurycoma longifolia on sexual behavior in sexually dysfunctional male: A systematic review. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:46-52.
3. Muhas C, Nishad KM, Ummunnoora KP, Jushna K, Saheera KV, Dilsha KP. Polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS)-an overview. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2018;10:5-9.
4. Bhardwaj S, Sharma RK. Ameliorative effects of phytoandrogen and antioxidant on histoarchitecture of permethrin induced changes in goat testis. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:183-7.
5. Laumann EO, Nicolosi A, Glasser DB. Sexual problems among women and men aged 40-80 y: Prevalence and correlates identified in the global study of sexual attitudes and behaviors. Int J Impot Res 2005;17:39-57.
6. Porst H, Montorsi F, Rosen RC, Gaynor L, Grupe S, Alexander J, et al. The premature ejaculation prevalence and attitudes (PEPA) survey: Prevalence, comorbidities, and professional help-seeking. Eur Urol 2007;51:816-23.
7. Wagner G, Fugl-Meyer KS, Fugl-Meyer AR. Impact of erectile dysfunction on quality of life: Patient and partner perspectives. Int J Impot Res 2000;12:S144-6.
8. Jain N, Goyal S, Ramawat KG. Biotechnological approaches to aphrodisiac plants of Rajasthan, India. In: Desert Plants. Vol. 4. Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer; 2010. p. 479-95.
9. Shin BC, Lee MS, Yang EJ, Lim HS, Ernst E. Maca (L. meyenii) for improving sexual function: A systematic review. BMC Complement Altern Med 2010;10:44.
10. El-Taher TS, Matalka Z, Taha HA, Badwan AA. Ferula harmonis ‘zallouh’ and enhancing erectile function in rats: Efficacy and toxicity study. Int J Impot Res 2001;13:247-51.
11. Rowland DL, Tai W. A review of plant-derived and herbal approaches to the treatment of sexual dysfunctions. J Sex Marital Ther 2003;29:185-205.
12. Kumar PK, Subramoniam A, Pushpangadan P. Aphrodisiac activity of Vanda tessellata (Roxb.) hook. Ex don extract in male mice. Indian J Pharmacol 2000;32:300-4.
13. Kanase V, Bangar P, Gupta N. Evaluation of aphrodisiac activity of marketed Ayurvedic formulations in experimental models on male albino wistar rats. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;7:867-72.
14. Gundidza GM, Mmbengwa VM, Magwa ML, Ramalivhana NJ, Mukwevho NT, Ndaradzi W. et al. Aphrodisiac properties of some Zimbabwean medicinal plants formulations. Afr J Biotechnol 2009;8:6402-7.
15. Kanase V, Jain J, Gupta N. Aphrodisiac activity of marketed Ayurvedic formulations on male albino wistar rats. Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci 2018;5:456-8.
16. Ratnasooriya WD, Dharmasiri MG. Effects of Terminalia catappa seeds on sexual behaviour and fertility of male rats. Asian J Androl 2000;2:213-9.
17. Tajuddin AS, Latif A, Qasmi IA, Amin KM. An experimental study of sexual function improving effect of Myristica fragrans Houtt. (Nutmeg). BMC Complement Altern Med 2005;5:16.
18. Yakubu MT, Akanji MA, Oladiji A, Adesokan AA. Androgenic potentials of aqueous extract of Massularia acuminata (G. Don) Bullock ex Hoyl. Stem in male wistar rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2008;118:508-13.
19. Mbongue FG, Kamtchouing P, Essame OJ, Yewah PM, Dimo T, Lontsi D, et al. Effect of the aqueous extract of dry fruits of Piper guineense on the reproductive function of adult male rats. Indian J Pharmacol 2005;37:30-2.
20. Cao JF, Zhang PY, Xu CW, Huang TT, Bai YG, Chen KS, et al. Effect of aqueous extract of Arctium lappa L. (Burdock) roots on the sexual behavior of male rats. BMC Complement Altern Med 2012;12:8.
21. Aversa A, Fabbri A. New oral agents for erectile dysfunction: What is changing in our practice? Asian J Androl 2001;3:175-9.
22. Gauthaman K, Adaikan PG, Prasad RN. Aphrodisiac properties of Tribulus terrestris extract (protodioscin) in normal and castrated rats. Life Sci 2002;71:1385-96.
23. Ramachandran S, Sridhar Y, Kishore GS, Saravanan M, Thomas LJ, Anbalagan N, et al. Aphrodisiac activity of Butea frondosa Koen. Ex Roxb. Extract in male rats. Phytomedicine 2014;6:120-6.
24. Giuliano F, Clement P. Physiology of ejaculation: Emphasis on serotonergic control. Eur Urol 2005;48:408-17.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.