EVALUATION OF IN VIVO IMMUNOMODULATORY ACTIVITY OF AQUEOUS AND ETHANOLIC EXTRACT OF CAPPARIS MOONII
Objective: The present study was intended to evaluate the in vivo immunomodulatory activity of aqueous and ethanolic extract of dried fruits of Capparis moonii Wight.
Methods: The effect of both the extracts was evaluated by carbon clearance assay in mice, and they showed a significant increase in the phagocytic index at 50, 100, and 200 mg/kg dose. The effect of the extracts on delayed-type hypersensitivity (DTH) and antibody titer assay was evaluated in ovalbumin immunized mice.
Results: Both extracts showed a significant effect on DTH response and stimulation of antibody titer at 200 mg/kg dose. The effects of the extracts in cyclophosphamide-induced myelosuppression mice were also statistically significant.
Conclusion: The studies demonstrated specific and non-specific immunostimulating properties of both the ethanol and aqueous extract of C. moonii fruits in various in vivo experimental methods suggesting its therapeutic usefulness in immunocompromised conditions.
2. Thadhani VM, Mesaik MA, Asif M, Karunaratne V, Choudhary IM. Immunomodulatory activities of some common lichen metabolites. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:144-7.
3. Sharma P. Charaka Samhita, Chikitasa Sthana. Varanasi, India: Chaukhambha Orientalia; 1983. p. 54.
4. Sulaiman AA, Al-Shamaa ZA, Al-Assadi ME. Evolving role of car T-cell in cancer immunotherapy. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2019;11:19-27.
5. Thatte UM, Dahanukar SA. Ayurveda and contemporary scientific thought. Trends Pharmacol Sci 1986;7:247-51.
6. Wagner H, Dahanukar SA, Thatte UM, Rege NM. Immunomodulatory Agents from Plants. Basel, Switzerland: Birkhauser; 1999. p. 289-323.
7. Gottlieb AA, Gottlieb MS, Scholes VE. Reconstitution of immune functions in AIDS/ARC. Concepts Immunopathol 1987;4:261-74.
8. Rajesh P, Selvamani P, Latha S, Saraswathy A, Rajesh KV. A review on chemical and medicobiological applications of capparidaceae family. Pharmacogn Rev 2009;3:378-87.
9. Sunita P, Jha S, Pattanayak SK. In vivo antitussive activity of Cressa cretica Linn. using cough model in rodents. Pharmacogn Res 2009;1:157-61.
10. Lakshmi B, Kanaujia SA, Duggar R, Pannakal ST, Yadav SS, Katiyar CK, et al. Insulinomimetic activity of two new gallotannins from the fruits of Capparis moonii. Bioorg Med Chem 2010;18:3940-5.
11. Ali M, Ramachandram R, Rafiullah MR, Singh O, Siddiqui AW, Mir SR. Prevention of carbon-tetra-chloride induced hepatotoxicity by the ethanolic extract of Capparis moonii in rats. Pharm Biol 2004;42:286-8.
12. Kanase VG, Dhotre G, Jain K, Shettigar S, Gupta R, Patil DT, et al. Evaluation of antiulcer activity of aqueous extract of Capparis moonii of Albino rats. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;7:873-83.
13. Kanase VG, Dhotre G, Jain K, Shettigar S, Gupta R, Patil DT, et al. Evaluation of anti-inflammatory and anti-pyretic activity of ethanolic extract of Capparis Moonii in Albino rats. Eur J Biomed Pharm Sci 2018;5:464-9.
14. Trease GE, Evans W. Text book of Pharmacognosy. 12th ed. London: Bailliere, Tindall; 1983. p. 343-83.
15. Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development. 1987, OECD Guidelines for Testing Chemicals, Guideline 423: Acute Oral Toxicity. Paris: Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development; 2001. p. 1-14.
16. Kanase V, Patil DT. Evaluation of in vivo immunomodulatory activity of aqueous and ethanolic extract of Eulophia nuda L. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:374-9.
17. Yan Y, Wanshun L, Baoqin H, Changhong W, Chenwei F, Bing L, et al.The antioxidative and immunostimulating properties of D-glucosamine. Int Immunopharmacol 2007;7:29-35.
18. Lee S, Suk K. Heme oxygenase-1 mediates cytoprotective effects of immunostimulation in microglia. Biochem Pharmacol 2007;74:723-9.
19. Shah AS, Wakade AS, Juvekar AR. Immunomodulatory activity of methanolic extract of Murraya koenigii (L) Spreng. Leaves. Indian J Exp Biol 2008;46:505-9.
20. Ghule BV, Murugananthan G, Nakhat PD, Yeole PG. Immunostimulant effects of Capparis zeylanica Linn. Leaves. J Ethnopharmacol 2006;108:311-5.
21. Wagner H, Hiroshi H, Farnsworth NR, editors. Immunostimulatory drugs of fungi and higher plants. In: Economic and Medicinal Plant Research. Vol. 1. London: Academic Press; 1984. p. 113-53.
22. Tiwari U, Rastogi B, Singh P, Saraf DK, Vyas SP. Immunomodulatory effects of aqueous extract of Tridax procumbens in experimental animals. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;92:113-9.
23. Miller LE, Ludke HR, Peacock, JE, Tomar RH, editors. Manual of Laboratory Immunology. London: Lea and Febiger; 1991. p. 1-18.
24. Stanilova SA, Zhelev ZD, Dobreva ZG. Preliminary studies on the immunomodulatory effect of the C3 binding glycoprotein isolated from Cuscuta europea. Int J Immunopharmacol 2000;22:15-24.
25. Agarwal R, Diwanay S, Patki P, Patwardhan B. Studies on immunomodulatory activity of Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) extracts in experimental immune inflammation. J Ethnopharmacol 1999;67:27-35.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.