EVALUATION OF ANTI-ALZHEIMER ACTIVITY OF ALCOHOLIC EXTRACT OF COSTUS PICTUS D. DON LEAVES IN WISTAR ALBINO RATS
Objective: The aim was to assess the effect of anti-Alzheimer’s activity of the alcoholic extract of Costus pictus D. Don Leaves in Alzheimer induce Wistar albino rats.
Methods: In the present study, the efficacy of an Extract of Costus pictus D. Don (ECPDD) was evaluated against scopolamine-induced Alzheimer in the Wistar albino rat. Donepezil at a dose of 2.5 mg/kg, ECPDD was given in rat at a dose of 100 mg/kg body weight, 150 mg/kg body weight, and 200 mg/kg body weight. Anti-Alzheimer activity was assessed by victimization novel object recognition test, elevated plus maze, and Y-maze. And by biochemical test like neurotransmitter esterase activity, catalase activity, malonyldialdehyd and glutathione assays.
Results: Results showed that extracts treatment prevents Alzheimer and increases the level of acetylcholine, catalase, glutathione peroxidase, and phytochemical studies identified the presence of flavonoid and alkaloid in the ECPDD.
Conclusion: According to the results, it was concluded that the leave of C. pictus D. Don has significant anti-Alzheimer activity due to the presence of potent antioxidants such as flavonoid and anticholinesterase enzyme present in alkaloids.
2. Alzheimer’s Association; 2010. Available from: http://www.alz.org. [Last accessed on 2010 Oct 01].
3. Mayo Clinic Medical Information and Tools for Healthy Living. Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research; 2010. Available from: www.mayoclinic.org/diseases. [Last accessed on 2010 Nov 21].
4. Paolo G, Testa G, Gargiulo S, Starenghi E, Poli G, Leoarduzzi G. Oxidized cholesterol as the driving force behind the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Front Aging Neurosci 2015;7:711-5.
5. Goran S, Leko MB, Wray S, Harrington C, Delalle I, Bazadona D, et al. Tau protein hyperphosphorylation and aggregation in Alzheimer’s disease and other tauopathies, and possible neuroprotective strategies. Biomolecules 2016;6:6-20.
6. Goran S, Leko MB, Wray S, Harrington C, Delalle I, Bazadona D, et al. Tau protein hyperphosphorylation and aggregation in Alzheimer’s disease and other tauopathies, and possible neuroprotective strategies. Biomolecules 2016;6:6-20.
7. Wolters Kluwer Health. Alzheimer disease drugs. In: Nursing Drug Handbook. Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer Health; 2010. p. 546-51.
8. Pathak D, Alam K, Rohilla H, Rai AK. Phytochemical investigation of Boerhavia diffusa and Andrograph paniculata: A comparative study. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:250-1.
9. Mohanty S, Parida R, Sandeep IS, Sahoo S, Nayak S. Evaluation of drug yielding potential of micropropagated Curcuma aromatica. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:511-4.
10. Shiny C. Thomas, phytochemical and pharmacological profiling of Costus pictus D. Don. a potenti antidiabetic plant. Pharmacogn Mag 2016;4:728-44.
11. Gupta H, Pandya K. Insulin plant: Review on photochemistry and pharmacology. Int J Infor Futurist Res 2018;5:9163-78.
12. Gilman EF. Florida: University of Florida. Costus igneus. Fact Sheet, No. FPS-151. EDIS-Electronic Data Information Source-UF/IFAS Extension, Inc.; 2012.
13. Devi VD, Urooj A. Nutrient profile and antioxidant components of Costus specious Sm. and Costus igneus Nak. Indian J Nat Prod Resour 2010;1:116-8.
14. Shankarappa L, Gopalakrishna B, Jagadish NR, Siddalingappa GS. Pharmacognostic and phytochemical analysis of Costus ignitius. Int Pharm Sci 2011;1:36-41.
15. Ramya R, Dhamotharan R. Antibacterial activity and screening of antibacterial compounds of Costus pictus D. Don using GC-MS. Int J Sci Res 2016;5:8101-16.
16. Shiny CT, Saxena A, Gupta SP. Phytochemical and hypoglycaemic activity investigation of Costus pictus plants from Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Int J Pharm Sci Invent 2013;5:11-8.
17. Yasodha S, Arthi PN, Agarwal A. Antifertility activity of ethanolic extract of Costus pictus rhizome in female rats. Sch J Appl Med Sci 2017;5:62-4.
18. Chacko N, Shastry CS, Shetty P, Shyamma P, D’souza U, Maulika P. Anti hyperlipidemic activity of Costus igneus in triton X-100 induced hyperlipidemic rats. Int J Pharm Chem Sci 2012;1:813-8.
19. Sathuvan M, Vignesh A, Thangam R, Palani P, Rengasamy R, Murugesan K. In vitro antioxidant and anticancer potential of bark of Costus pictus D. Don. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:41-9.
20. Meléndez-Camargo ME, Castillo-Nájera R, Silva-Torres R, Campos-Aldrete ME. Evaluation of the diuretic effect of the aqueous extract of Costus pictus D. Don in rat. Proc West Pharmacol Soc 2006;49:72-4.
21. Manjula K, Pazhanichamy K, Kumaran S, Eevera T, Keefe CD, Rajendran K. Growth characterization of calcium oxalate monohydrate crystals influenced by Costus igneus aqueous stem extract. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2012;4:261-70.
22. Ozkan G, Sagdic O, Baydar NG, Baydar H. Antioxidant and antibacterial activities of Rosa damascena flower extracts. Food Sci Tech Int 2004;10:277-88.
23. Janarthanam B, Sumathi E. Antimicrobial activity of Gymnema sylvestre leaf and callus. J Trop Med Plants 2010;11:143-7.
24. Shirwaikar A, Rajendran K, Kumar CD, Bodla RG. Antidiabetic activity of aqueous leaf extract of Annona squamosa in streptozotocin nicotinamide Type 2 diabetic rats. J Ethnopharmacol 2004;91:171-5.
25. Aynehchi Y, Sormaghi MS, Amin G, Khoshkhow MK, Shabani A. Survey of Iranian plants for saponins, alkaloids, flavonoids and tannins. III. Int J Crude Drug Res 1985;23:33-41.
26. Alkam T, Kim HC, Hiramatsu M, Mamiya T, Aoyama Y, Nitta A, et al. Evaluation of emotional behaviors in young offspring of C57BL/6J mice after gestational and/or perinatal exposure to nicotine in six different time-windows. Behav Brain Res 2013;239:80-9.
27. Jaiswal AK, Bhattacharya SK. Effects of shilajit on memory, anxiety and brain monoamines in rats. Indian J Pharmacol 1992;24:12-7.
28. Jain NN, Ohal CC, Shroff SK, Bhutada RH, Somani RS, Kasture VS, et al. Clitoria ternatea and the CNS. Pharmacol Biochem Behav 2003;75:529-36.
29. Hughes RN. The value of Spontaneous Alternation Behavior (SAB) as a test of retention in Pharmacological investigations of memory. Neurosci Biobehav Rev 2004;5:497-505.
30. Ellman GL, Courtney KD, Anders U, Featherstone RM. A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetyl cholinesterase activity. Biochem Pharmacol 1961;7:88-95.
31. Aebi H. Methods of Enzymatic Analysis. Vol. 2. New York: Academic Press; 1974. p. 674.
32. Khare P, Chaudhary S, Singh L, Yadav G, Verma S. Evaluation of nootropic activity of Cressa cretica in scopolamine induced memory impairment in mice. Int J Pharmacol Toxicol 2014;2:24-9.
33. Wood JL. In: Fishman WH, editor. Metabolic Conjugation and Metabolic Hydrolysis. Vol. 2. New York: Academic Press; 1970. p. 261-99.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.