DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF RAPID STABILITY-INDICATING HIGH-PERFORMANCE LIQUID CHROMATOGRAPHY METHOD FOR THE DETERMINATION OF LINAGLIPTIN AND EMPAGLIFLOZIN IN PURE AND DOSAGE FORMS
Objective: A new, simple, rapid, sensitive, and accurate stability-indicating high-performance liquid chromatography (HPLC) method was developed and validated for the quantitative determination of linagliptin (LNG) and empagliflozin (EMP) in pure and tablet dosage forms.
Methods: An isocratic HPLC method, using a C18 reversed-phase column (150 mm×4.6 mm i.d., particle size 5 μm) with an isocratic binary mobile phase consisting of phosphate buffer and acetonitrile (65:35, v/v), was investigated to separate the drug from its stress degradation products. The flow rate was 1.0 mL/min at ambient temperature and photodiode array detector is used at 226 nm for detection. The developed method was validated for system suitability, linearity, accuracy, precision, limits of detection and quantitation, specificity, stability, and robustness.
Results: The retention time of LNG and EMP was found to be 3.276±0.002 and 6.966±0.0006 min, respectively. The calibration curve was found to be linear with the equation y=158926.39X+11.139, with a correlation coefficient of R2=0.9991 for LNG and y=22688.45X+4.259, with a correlation coefficient of R2=0.9994 for EMP over a concentration range of 2.5–7.5 μg/mL and 5.0–15 μg/mL for LNG and EMP, respectively. The limits of detection were 0.29 and 0.48 μg/mL for LNG and EMP, respectively, and the limits of quantification were 0.89 and 1.5 μg/mL for LNG and EMP, respectively. The recovery values of this method are 101.11% and 101.48% for LNG and EMP, respectively, and the reproducibility is within 0.070 and 0.277 for LNG and EMP, respectively.
Conclusion: The proposed method is a rapid stability-indicating HPLC method that can be applied for the determination of LNG and EMP in pure and tablet dosage forms.
2. Jyothirmai N, Kumar MA, Nagaraju B. Novel UV and visible spectrophotometric methods for the analysis of empagliflozin a Type 2 diabetic drug in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. J Afr 2016;3:177-87.
3. Raedler LA. Glyxambi (Empagliflozin/linagliptin): A dual-acting oral medication approved for the treatment of patients with Type 2 diabetes. Am Health Drug Benefits 2015;8:171-5.
4. Banik S, Karmakar P, Miah MA. Development and validation of a UV-spectrophotometric method for determination of vildagliptin and linagliptin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Bangladesh Pharm J 2015;18:163-8.
5. Sangeetha RK, Subashri T. Analysis of linagliptin in tablet dosage form by UV spectroscopy method, its derivatives and difference spectra. Euro J Pharm Med Res 2016;3:536-40.
6. Padmaja N, Veerabhadram G. Development and validation of analytical method for simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin in bulk drugs and combined dosage forms using UV-visible spectroscopy. Pharm Lett 2015;7:306-12.
7. Bassam MA. Development and validation of simple spectrophotometric and chemometric methods for simultaneous determination of empagliflozin and metformin: Applied to the recently approved pharmaceutical formulation. Spectrochim Acta Part A 2016;168:118-22.
8. Ayoub BM. UPLC simultaneous determination of empagliflozin, linagliptin and metformin. RSC Adv 2015;116:95703-9.
9. Maha FA, Omar AA, Miriam FA, Mariam MT. Pharmaceutical analysis of linagliptin and empagliflozin using LC-MS/MS. Pharma Chem 2016;8:186-9.
10. Madhusudhan P, Radhakrishna MR, Devanna N. RP-HPLC method development and validation for simultaneous determination of linagliptin and empagliflozin in tablet dosage form. Int Adv Res J Sci Eng Technol 2015;2:95-9.
11. Kavitha KY, Geetha G, Hariprasad R, Kaviarasu M. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of linagliptin and metformin in the pure and pharmaceutical dosage form. J Chem Pharm Res 2013;5:230-5.
12. Donepudi S, Achanta S, validated HPLC-UV method for simultaneous estimation of linagliptin and empagliflozin in human plasma. Int J Appl Pharm 2018;10:56-61.
13. Padmaja N, Veerabhadram G. Development and validation of a novel stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for the determination of empagliflozin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage form. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2016;7:4523-30.
14. Godasu SK, Sreenivas SA. A new validated RP-HPLC method for the determination of metformin HCl and empagliflozin in bulk and pharmaceutical dosage and forms. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2017;8:2223-32.
15. Patil SD, Amurutkar SV, Chatpalliwar VA, Upasani CD. Development and validation of RP-HPLC method for empagliflozin and metformin HCL. J Innov Pharm Biol Sci 2017;4:185-9.
16. Sujatha K, Seshagirirao JV. A new RP-HPLC method for the estimation of linagliptin in tablet dosage forms. Indo Am J Pharm Res 2013;3:8376-81.
17. Badugu LR. A validated RP-HPLC method for the determination of linagliptin. Am J PharmaTech Res 2012;2:462-70.
18. Afzal SJ, Asif M, Khan PM. Validation of stability indicating high performance liquid chromatographic method for simultaneous determination of assay of linagliptin and metformin drugs in the pharmaceuticals tablet formulations using bupropion as a common internal standard. J Innov Pharm Biol Sci 2018;5:21-8.
19. Madhusudhan P, Reddy R, Deanna N. RPHPLC method development and validation for simultaneous determination of linagliptin and empagliflozin in tablet dosage form. Int Adv Res J Sci Eng Technol 2015;2:95-9.
20. Naazneen S, Sridevi A. Development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin in tablet formulation. Pharm Lett 2016,8:57-65.
21. Jayalaxmi, Rajesh T, Kumar GV. A validated RP- HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin in its bulk and pharmaceutical dosage forms. Int J Chem Pharm Sci 2016;4:634-40.
22. Jyothirmai N, Begum KMD, Supriya P. Novel stability indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. J Atoms Mol 2016;6:977-86.
23. Bakshi A, Mounika A, Bhutada S, Raju MB. Simultaneous estimation of empagliflozin and linagliptin by RP-HPLC method. World J Pharm Pharm Sci 2018;7:1062-71.
24. Shyamala, Nirmala K, Mounika J, Nandini B. Validated stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for determination of empagliflozin. Pharm Lett 2016;8:457-64.
25. El-Bagary RI, Elkady EF, Ayoub BM. Liquid chromatographic determination of linagliptin in bulk, in plasma and in its pharmaceutical preparation. Int J Biomed Sci 2012;8:209-14.
26. ICH Guidelines for Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology Q2 (R1). Geneva: ICH; 2005. p. 1-14.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.