Title DEVELOPMENT AND VALIDATION OF SPECTROPHOTOMETRIC METHODS FOR DETERMINATION OF LEUKOTRIENE RECEPTOR ANTAGONIST MONTELUKAST SODIUM IN BULK AND PHARMACEUTICAL FORMULATIONS
Objective: Simple, sensitive, precise, reproducible, and validated visible spectrophotometric methods have been developed for the determination of leukotriene receptor antagonist drug, namely, montelukast (MNT) sodium in bulk and pharmaceutical preparations.
Methods: Three spectrophotometric methods are based on the formation of yellow-colored ion-pair complexes between MNT sodium and three dyes, bromocresol green, bromophenol blue, and methyl orange with absorption maxima at 420, 416, and 426 nm, respectively.
Results: The stoichiometric ratio of the formed ion-pair complexes was found to be 1:1 (drug:reagent) for all methods, as deduced by Job’s method of continuous variation. Several parameters such as pH, buffer type and volume, reagent volume, sequence of addition, and effect of extracting solvent were optimized to achieve high sensitivity, stability, low blank reading, and reproducible results. Under the optimum conditions, linear relationships with good correlation coefficients (0.9993–0.9999) were found over the concentration ranges of 1.0–10, 1.0–12, and 1.0–16 μg/mL with a limit of detection of 0.30, 0.29, and 0.27 μg/mL for bromocresol green, bromophenol blue, and methyl orange methods, respectively.
Conclusion: The proposed methods were validated in accordance with ICH guidelines and successfully applied to the analysis of MNT sodium in pharmaceutical formulations. Statistical comparison of the results obtained by applying the proposed methods with those of the reference method revealed good agreement and proved that there was no significant difference in the accuracy and precision between the results.
2. Kumar JV, Swarupa PG, Vardhan SV, Ramachandran D.Spectrophotometric determination of montelukast sodium in bulk and pharmaceutical formulations. Der Pharm Chem 2012;4:720-4.
3. Kumar JV, Ramachandran D, Sushma K, Saradhi SV. Visible spectrophotometric methods for estimation of montelukast sodium in bulk dosage forms and formulations. Orient J Chem 2010;26:293-6.
4. Srihari G, Setty KN, Reddy NR, Chakravarth IE. A simple spectrophotometric assay of montelukast in pharmaceutical formulations. J Chem Pharm Res 2011;3:23-7.
5. Kumar JV, Ramachandran D, Settaluri VS, Felice CS. Spectrophotometric methods for estimation of leukotriene receptor antagonist in bulk dosage forms. Rasayan J Chem 2010;3:166-71.
6. Adsule PV, Sisodiya K, Swami AG, Choudhari VP, Kuchekar BS. Development and validation of UV spectrophotometric methods for estimation of montelukast sodium in bulk and pharmaceutical formulation. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2012;12:106-8.
7. Arayne MS, Sultana N, Hussain F. Spectrophotometric method for quantitative determination of montelukast in bulk, pharmaceutical formulations and human serum. J Anal Chem 2009;64:690-5.
8. Garg LK, Kumar BR, Sait SS, Krishnamurthy T. Determination of montelukast sodium in oral granules dosage forms by a simple and accurate UV spectrophotometric methods. Int J Pharm Sci Rev Res 2011;7:69-72.
9. Patil TN, Firke SD, Bari SB, Joshi NS, Bafna PS. Simultaneous estimation of ebastine and montelukast sodium in tablet dosage form by UV-spectrophotometry and first order derivative. Indian Drugs 2013;50:47-52.
10. Alsarra I, Khalil NY, Sultan M, Al-Ashban R, Belal F. Spectrofluorometric determination of montelukast in dosage forms and spiked human plasma. Pharmazie 2005;60:823-6.
11. Alsarra I, Al-Omar M, Gadkariem EA, Belal F. Voltammetric determination of montelukast sodium in dosage forms and human plasma. Farmaco 2005;60:563-7.
12. Flor S, Juan MH, Tripodi V, Lucangioli S. Development of an enantioselective capillary electrophoretic method for the simultaneous determination of montelukast enantiomeric and diastereoisomeric forms and its main degradation product. Electrophoresis 2016;37:2420-8.
13. Shakalisava Y, Regan F. Determination of montelukast sodium by capillary electrophoresis. J Sep Sci 2008;31:1137-43.
14. Mamatha J, Devanna N. RP-HPLC-PDA method for simultaneous quantification of montelukast, acebrophylline and desloratadine tablets. Asian J Chem 2018;30:1383-6.
15. Wang D, Zhou C, Cong R, Li Y, Wang X. Simultaneous determination of montelukast sodium S-enantiomer and A5 enantiomers in montelukast sodium bulk drug by normal-phase chiral HPLC. Indian J Pharm Sci 2017;79:139-48.
16. Padmavathi K, Rao MS. A new stability-indicating RP-HPLC method for the simultaneous determination of fexofenadine hydrochloride and montelukast in combined dosage form. Der Pharm Lett 2015;7:301-07.
17. Rao MP, Srilakshmi M, Teja BR, Rao DN. Analytical method development and validation of levocetirizine hydrochloride and montelukast sodium in combined tablet dosage form by RP-HPLC. Res J Pharm Biol Chem Sci 2014;5:1010-21.
18. Jani A, Jasoliya J, Vansjalia D. Method development and validation of stability indicating RP-HPLC for simultaneous estimation of rupatadine fumarate and montelukast sodium in combined tablet dosage form. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:229-33.
19. Redasani VK, Kothawade AR, Surana SJ. Stability indicating RP-HPLC method for simultaneous estimation of rupatadine fumarate and montelukast sodium in bulk and tablet dosage form. J Anal Chem 2014;69:384-9.
20. Saeed-Ul-Hassan S, Ather AU, Ansari MT, Tariq I, Karim S. Determination of montelukast sodium in raw material and solid dosage form using reverse phase HPLC. Asian J Chem 2013;25:7481-4.
21. Patnaik A, Panda SS, Sahoo S, Patro VJ. RP-HPLC method development and validation for the determination and stability indicative studies of montelukast in bulk and its pharmaceutical formulations. E J Chem 2012;9:35-42.
22. El Sheikh R, Gouda AA, Soliman H. Sensitive spectrophotometric determination of acetylcholinesterase inhibitor donepezil hydrochloride in pure form and pharmaceutical formulations using sulphonphethalin dyes. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:274-81.
23. El Sheikh R, Gouda AA, Gouda N. Validated spectrophotometric methods for determination of enalapril maleate in pure and dosage forms. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:190-7.
24. Rao LP, Rambabu C. Use of ion association complex formation for the spectrophotometric determination of itopride HCl in bulk and its pharmaceutical preparations. Int J Curr Pharm Res 2017;9:81-4.
25. Britton HT. Hydrogen Ions. 4th ed. London, United Kingdom: Chapman and Hall; 1952.
26. Job P. Spectrochemical Methods of Analysis. New York: Wiley Interscience; 1971. p. 346.
27. Yoe JH, Jones AL. Determination of tungsten. Ind Eng Chem Anal Ed 1944;16:111.
28. International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use ICH. Harmonized Tripartite Guideline, Validation of Analytical Procedures: Text and Methodology, Q2(R 1), Complementary Guideline on Methodology. London: International Conference on Harmonization of Technical Requirements for Registration of Pharmaceuticals for Human Use ICH; 2005.
29. Miller JN, Miller JC. Statistics and Chemometrics for Analytical Chemistry. 5th ed. England: Prentice Hall; 2005.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.