THE PROFILE OF THYROTROPIN-RELEASING HORMONE, T-REGULATOR, AND INTERLEUKIN-4 OF UNTREATED GRAVES’ DISEASE IN INDONESIA
Objective: This study was conducted to the profile of hormonal and immunological aspects, which is thyrotropin-releasing hormone (TRH), T-regulator (T-reg) Forkhead box P3 (FOXP3) gene polymorphism, and interleukin-4 (IL-4) of untreated Graves’ disease with hyperthyroid in M Djamil General Hospital Padang, Indonesia.
Methods: A cross-sectional study was conducted to observe Graves’ disease with hyperthyroid in the Internal Medicine Department in Dr. M. Djamil Hospital, Padang, West Sumatera, Indonesia. Graves’ disease was confirmed by measuring free thyroxine (FT4), thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH), and antithyroid peroxidase (anti-TPO). TRH, T-reg FOXP3 gene polymorphism, and IL-4 were examined with an enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay method.
Results: Twenty-five subjects with Graves’ disease included in this study with an average of age is 27.48 (5.6) years. Mean Wayne index is 23.44 (1.4), mean serum FT4 level is 55.55 (17.98) pmol/l, median serum TSH level is 0.041 (0.004–0.053) mU/l, and mean anti-TPO level is 2697.539 (479.72) pg/ml. Median serum TRH level is 92.589 (24.843–253.186) pg/ml, mean T-reg FOXP3 gene polymorphism is 0.621 (0.23) ng/ml, and mean serum IL-4 level is 19.759 (7.03) pg/ml).
Conclusion: Graves’ disease with hyperthyroid has median serum TRH level 92.589 (24.843-253.186) pg/ml and high levels of T-reg FOXP3 gene polymorphism and IL-4.
2. Lillevang-Johansen M, Abrahamsen B, Jorgensen H, Brix T, Hegedus L. Excess mortality in treated and untreated hyperthyroidism is related to cumulative periods of low serum TSH. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 2017;102:2301-9.
3. Liu J, Fu J, Xu Y, Wang G. Antithyroid drug therapy for Graves’ disease and implications for recurrence. Int J Endocrinol 2017;2017:1-9.
4. The Indonesian Society of Endocrinology. Indonesian clinical practice guidelines for hyperthyroidism. J ASEAN Fed Endocr Soc 2012;27:1-5.
5. Wang PW, Chen IY, Juo SH, His E, Liu RT, Hsieh CJ. Genotype and phenotype predictors of relapse of Graves’ disease after antithyroid drug withdrawal. Eur Thyroid J 2012;1:251-8.
6. Decroli E, Elvira D, Aprilia A. The effect of thionamide to TRH, TSH, IL-4, T-reg, and anti-TPO in Graves’ disease. Indones J Pharm 2019;30:122-7.
7. Decroli E, Manaf A, Syahbuddin S. Immunologic and hormonal effects of propylthiouracil treatment using maintenance dose in Graves’ disease. Acta Med Indones 2014;46:314-9.
8. Elvira D, Darwin E. Role of pro-inflammatory and regulatory cytokines in pathogenesis of Graves’ disease in association with autoantibody thyroid and regulatory FoxP3 T-cells. Int J Med Health Sci 2017;11:69-72.
9. Elvira D. The role of T-regulatory expression in autoimmune thyroid disease and its association with thyroid antibody. J Autoimmune Disord 2016;2:19.
10. Laurberg P, Nygaard B, Andersen S, Carle A, Karmisholt J,Kerjbjerg A, et al. Association between TSH-receptor autoimmunity, hyperthyroidism, goitre, and orbitopathy in 208 patients included in the remission induction and sustenance in Graves’ disease study. J Thyroid Res 2014;2014:1-6.
11. Liu X, Shi B, Li H. Valuable predictive features of relapse of Graves’ disease after antithyroid drug treatment. Ann Endocrinol 2015;76:679-83.
12. Molnar I, Szentmiklosi J, Somogyine-Vari E. Hyperthyroidism in patients with Graves’ ophtalmopathy, and thyroidal, skeletal and eye muscle specific Type 2 deiodinase enzyme activities. Exp Clin Endocrinol Diabetes 2017;125:514-21.
13. Calissendorff J, Falhammar H. Rescue pre-operative treatment with Lugol’s solution in uncontrolled Graves’ disease. Endocr Connect 2017;6:200-5.
14. Voskuhl R. Sex differences in autoimmune diseases. Biol Sex Differ 2011;2:1.
15. Sabir AA, Iwuala SO, Fasanmade OA, Abubakar SA, Haruna GY, Ohwovoriole AE. Correlation between Wayne’s score and laboratory evidence of thyrotoxicosis in Nigeria. Sub-Saharan Afr J Med 2014;1:142-4.
16. Naraintran S, Sandeep KD, Raveendran K, Eashwara PB. Accuracy of Wayne’s criteria in diagnosing hyperthyroidism: A prospective study in South Kerala, India. Int Surg J 2018;5:1267-79.
17. Choi HS, Yoo WS. Free thyroxine, anti-thyroid stimulating hormone receptor antibody titers, and absence of goiter were associated with responsiveness to methimazole in patients with new onset Graves’ disease. Endocrinol Metab 2017;32:281-7.
18. Santos RB, Romaldini JH, Ward LS. Propylthiouracil reduces the effectiveness of radioiodine treatment in hyperthyroid patients with Graves’ disease. Thyroid 2004;14:525-30.
19. Azizi F, Atale L, Hedayati M, Mehrabi Y, Sheikholeslami F. Effect of long-term continuous methimazole treatment of hyperthyroidism: Comparison with radioiodine. Eur J Endocrinol 2005;152:695-701.
20. Frohlich E, Wahl R. Thyroid autoimmunity; role of anti-thyroid antibodies in thyroid and extra-thyroidal diseases. Front Immunol 2017;8:521.
21. Lombardi G, Lupoli G, Scopacasa F, Panza R, Minozzi M. Plasma immunoreactive thyrotropin releasing hormone values in normal newborns. J Endocrinol Invest 1978;1:69.
22. Schmidt F, Braunbeck T. Alterations along the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis of the zebrafish (Danio rerio) after exposure to propylthiouracil. J Thyroid Res 2011;2011:376243.
23. Nikrodhanond AA, Ortiga-Carvalho TM, Shibusawa N, Hashimoto K, Liao XH, Refetoff S, et al. Dominant role of thyrotropin-releasing hormone in the hypothalamic-pituitary-thyroid axis. J Biol Chem 2006;281:5000-7.
24. Sarkar D, Chakraborty A, Bhattacharya C, Singh LH, Chandra AK. Exploration of goitrogenic/antithyroidal potentiality of bamboo-shoots in relation to thiourea. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2017;9:7-12.
25. Saptarini NM, Wibowo MS, Gusnidar T. Correlation study of age, disease duration, and erythrocyte sedimentation rate among the Indonesian rheumatoid arthritis patients. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2015;7:274-7.
26. Decroli E, Manaf A, Syahbuddin S, Waspadji S, Dillasamola D. The role of survivin and raf-1 kinase against enhancement of pancreatic beta-cell apoptosis in patients with Type 2 diabetes mellitus. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2018;11:344-7.
27. Santoso DI, Yunita S, Paramita N, Andraini T, Kartinah NT, Bayani GF, et al. Effect of Hibiscus sabdariffa Linn on IL-6 and TNF-? levels in overtrained rat heart. Int J Appl Pharm 2019;11:42-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.