EFFECT OF STERCULIA QUADRIFIDA R. BR BARK TO IN VITRO DPPH RADICAL AND GLUTATHIONE PEROXIDASE ON DIABETIC WISTAR RATS
Objective: The aims of the research were to evaluate the antioxidant effect of Sterculia quadrifida R.Br bark by in vitro 1,1-biphenyl-2-picryl-hydrazyl (DPPH) radical scavenging method and glutathione peroxidase (GPx) activity on diabetic Wistar rats model.
Methods: S. quadrifida bark powder was extracted in ethanol 70% by maceration method. The antioxidant activity of ethanol extract was tested by DPPH radical scavenging method. The activity of GPx was evaluated from the liver of alloxan-induced diabetic rats. The antioxidant activity was determined by measuring the absorbance using ultraviolet-visible spectrophotometry method.
Results: The ethanol extract of S. quadrifida bark had a strong DPPH radical scavenging activity, with the IC50 value was 4.86±0.01 ug/ml, besides that the extract also showed significantly activity of GPx (p<0.05) at a dose of 65, 130, and 260 mg/kg bw.
Conclusion: The ethanol extract of S. quadrifida bark had a potent antioxidant activity by DPPH radical scavenging and GPx activity.
2. Pandey N, Barve D. Antioxidant activity of ethanolic extract of Annona squamosa Linn bark. Int J Pharm Biomed Res 2011;2:1692-7.
3. Mahdi-Pour B, Jothy SL, Latha L, Chen Y, Sasidharan S. Antioxidant activity of methanol extracts of different parts of Lantana camara. Asian Pac J Trop Biomed 2012;2:960-5.
4. Ighodaro OM, Akinloye OA. First line defence antioxidants-superoxide dismutase (SOD), catalase (CAT) and glutathione peroxidase (GPX): Their fundamental role in the entire antioxidant defence grid. Alex J Med 2016;54:287-93.
5. Deepika S, Rajagopal SV. Evaluation of in vitro antioxidant activity of flowers of Blepharis molluginifolia. Int J Pharm Sci Res 2014;5:2225-9.
6. Siswadi S, Saragih GS. Acute tocixity of Sterculia quadrifida R.Br bark ethanol extract on Sprague dawley rats. Tradic Med J 2018;23:127-34.
7. Munawaroh R, Siswadi S, Setyowati EP, Murwanti R, Hertiani T. Correlation between total flavonoid contents and macrophage phagocytosis activity of fractions from faloak (Sterculia quadrifida R.Br.) barks ethanolic extract in vitro. Tradic Med J 2018;23:47-55.
8. Asmiati, Lestari N, Uslan. Morphological and anatomical characteristic kinship of faloak plant (Sterculia quadrifida R.Br) as learning source for morphology and anatomy of plant course based on local natural resources. Adv Soc Educ Nat Res 2019;355:72-5.
9. Dean M, Handajani R, Khotib J. Faloak (Sterculia quadrifida R.Br) stem bark extract inhibits hepatitis C virus JFH1. Orient J Chem 2019;35:430-5.
10. Dongga IR, Sunarti S, Sunarti T. Antidiabetic ethanol extract of faloak (Sterculia quadrifida R.Br.) barks on alloxan-induced Wistar rats. J Farm Ind 2016;8:144-9.
11. Winanta A, Hertiani T, Purwantiningsih, Siswadi. In vivo immunomodulatory activity of faloak bark extract (Sterculia quadrifida R.Br). Pak J Biol Sci 2019;22:590-6.
12. Blois M. Antioxidant determination by the use of stable free radical. Nature 1958;181:1199-200.
13. Lawrence RA, Burk RF. Glutathione peroxidase activity in selenium deficient rat liver. Biochem Biophys Res Commun 1976;71:952-8.
14. Saragih GS, Siswadi S. Antioxidant activity of plant parts extracts from Sterculia quadrifida R.Br. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 2019;12:143-8.
15. Fidrianny RD, Rizki RR, Insanu M. In vitro antioxidant activities from various extracts of banana peels using ABTS, DPPH assays and correlation with phenolic, flavonoid, carotenoid conten. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2014;6:299-303.
16. Alrawaiq NS, Abdullah A. A review of flavonoid quercetin: Metabolism, bioactivity and antioxidant properties. Int J Pharmtech Res 2014;6:933-41.
17. Hirano R, Sasamoto W, Matsumoto A, Itakura H, Igarashi O, Kondo K. Antioxidant ability of various flavonoids against DPPH radicals and LDL oxidation. J Nutr Sci Vitaminol 2001;47:357-62.
18. Widodo GP, Herowati R, Perangin-Angin JM, Kamlasi JE. Antihyperglycemic, antioxidant, and pancreas regeneration activities of black cumin (Nigella sativa L.) seeds ethanol extract in alloxan-induced diabetic rats. Int J Pharm Pharm Sci 2016;8:37-40.
19. Henneberg R, Otuki MF, Furman AE, Hermann P, Nascimento AJ, Leonart MS. Protective effect of flavonoids against reactive oxygen species production in sickle cell anemia patients treated with hydroxyurea. Rev Bras Hematol Hemoter 2013;35:52-5.
20. Abarikwu SO, Olufemi PD, Lawrence CJ, Wekere FC, Ochulor AC, Barikuma AM. Rutin, an antioxidant flavonoid, induces glutathione and glutathione peroxidase activities to protect against ethanol effects in cadmium-induced oxidative stress in the testis of adult rats. Andrologia 2017;49:e12696.
21. Bouhalit S, Kechrid Z. Protective effect of silymarin extracted from Silybum marianum seeds upon nickel-induced hepatotoxicity in Albino Wistar rats. Ann Microbiol Immunol 2018;1:1-5.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.
The publication is licensed under CC By and is open access. Copyright is with author and allowed to retain publishing rights without restrictions.